An Assortment of Fossil ID's Needed, Please!

Kpitch

Hi!

I work at a children's museum in Tennessee, and we go out to local elementary schools and teach science lessons. One of them is on fossils... how they form, how they are found, what they can tell us about life in the past, etc. I have been tasked with organizing our materials for this particular lesson to give to our new teachers. In cleaning out some bins, I found the fossils I have attached below. I have no idea where the museum got them, but my feeling is they have been in our possession a while.

I would really like to attach a name to these fossils, what the date range might be, and any other information that would bring these fossils to life, so to speak. Kids love this stuff and I feel they need to be told all the information we can possibly give them, rather than just "it's a fish."

Generally I have a plant (?), a fish, and a complete mystery (to me)...coral? sponge? If you need better images, please let me know.

So, wonderful Fossil Forum, please do your thing! I and many children thank you in advance!

Karla

plant1.jpg

plant2.jpg

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

unknown3.jpg

unknown4.jpg

Fish is Vinctifer comptoni from the Santana Formation of Northeastern Brazil.  Imay have misspelled the name?  Tail end looks to be added on.

RB

Edited by RJB
more text
  • I Agree 1

The third is a rugose (horn) coral. Unfortunately they are so common in Paleozoic rocks that it's unlikely you'll be able to narrow it down with no locality information.

• I Agree 2

The first looks like a branch/twig/leaf of a Lepidodendron lycopod tree, from the Carboniferous period. 

These are sometimes called Lycopodites or Lepidopylloides.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me