Lenle

Hello, all!

I am brand new to collecting. I have always had an interest in all things ancient, but it’s grown specific to dinosaurs and their kin. Recently, I made the plunge and bought my first ever tooth (megaladon). 

I have yet to receive it but want to make sure I display it properly. With two littles running around, I don’t dare leave it on the stand and was considering displaying it in a shadow box or a display case mounted adult eye level on the wall. Is this a huge, cringeworthy “just no” move? Also, if displayed in a shadow box I would obviously not use glue or screws or anything. 

I researched ahead of time and was able to buy from a reputable site but already foresee several more purchases coming my way. Finding other vendors is… problematic at best. Everything is always listed as “authentic” but I know better. Even questioning them brings generic responses along the lines of how they dive for teeth themselves, they’ll provide Authenticity Certs, etc. Aside from posting pics here (btw - floored at how knowledgeable you lot are!), what is the best way to vet potential sources?

Thank you in advance! I hope to learn and educate myself in exploring this new hobby!

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

First off, there is no right or wrong way to display a fossil. Do what you like. Display it so that it will give you the most pleasure to see it frequently, and discuss it with others who enter your home and see it. There are as many ways to display things as there are fossils.

Riker mounts, floating displays, glass and plexiglass cases, plastic, wood and metal stands, wall hangings, shadow boxes, picture frames, ... etc.

Do what pleases you.

Certificates of Authenticity aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Anyone with a printer can make one. They mean nothing.

We do not discuss dealers on the open forums.  Dealers can be mentioned via  Personal Messages to you, so I will leave others to do that.

You can, and should, post any potential buys here on the Forum, under the Is It Real Sub Forum.  Pictures only, and no direct copy of advertisement language.

We are concerned here with the fossils themselves, NOT the reputation or practices of Dealers. ;)

One way to avoid the issue of who to trust as a dealer is to collect your own fossils. There are plenty of places to do so.

Dinosaurs are a bit difficult to collect personally, but shark teeth are reasonably found in a number of areas of the eastern US.

Welcome again, we hope you enjoy the Forum.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome. Megalodon teeth are "common" (albeit, highly desirable) fossils. While facsimile teeth are available, they are generally offered as just that. The greatest purchase hazard are authentic teeth that have been monkeyed with, enhanced via restoration. Scrutiny of the Forum's Is It Real topic will serve to arm you against any unrevealed, resto chicanery. Check it out. I feel you will find it fun and informative. 

To my eye a shallow shadow box displaying a dark meg on white matting is very aesthetically pleasing. However, suit your own sense of taste in decorating style. While meg teeth are among the most durable of fossils, a drop to a hard surface is undesirable. Your instinct to shield from curious young ones is well considered. Good luck, have fun.

• I Agree 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you to everyone who took the time

to say hi and answer my question. I appreciate the warm welcome and enthusiasm. :)

I went into collecting Meg teeth knowing how common they are (and glad they are!) I told myself “just the one”, but… where’s the fun in that? I’d really, really love a large prognathadon tooth next but we’ll see!

As for collecting my own… my word, I would *love* that. I’ll have to see what the next steps are to that.