What is the VERY LAST fossil you have collected?

FranzBernhard

First fossil collected ever - clear!

But what is your very last fossil collected in the field? Sounds absurd and sad, but I think, there are members in this forum, which do not longer field collect.

I am one of these, I don´t do field trips any longer, and so no more fossils. Too much work, too many family issues, already too many "rocks" ;). Field trips turned to stress makers lately, so I skip them completely. Big relief! Maybe I will do field trips in the distant future again, but I will not collect any more fossils etc., just photographing them. Hope, I can withstand the temptation then ;)

This is the very last fossil I have collected, that to the right:

Plesch_5451_5452_gross_kompr.jpg.4765dd7

The very last mineral/ore specimen was found and collected a week later, disseminated chromite in dunite from Sommergraben, Kraubath ultramafic complex, field of view ca. 14 cm:

image.jpeg.5d326fecf4d325d46b3c4284b8460fea.jpeg

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

I actually find field collecting a great de-stressor.  Just about every weekend I go out collecting to decompress after a stressful week at the office. 

So anyway, here are a couple trilobites from my last outing:   2/18/2024

20240220_191830.jpg

20240220_180919.jpg

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

A belemnite... 

Nothing too special.

IMG_20240223_152504.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Are good signatures really that important ?

• FranzBernhard changed the title to What is the VERY LAST fossil you have collected?

Thanks for your contributions, I meant the very last fossil of your field collecting career (titel etc. edited).

Franz Bernhard

The last fossil I found was this ind. rib from the Hell creek of SD. I'm still in the middle of the prep and rebuild.  This like most likely either Edmontosaurus or Triceratops. Sadly, I havent had time to touch it in almost 3 months. All of the rough cleaning is done (more than in the photo), but I'm still going though sections to disassemble, 100% clean out matrix, then reassembly.  

20231116_160850.thumb.jpg.7e0866e50046776cdc342451c7b9f47d.jpg

20231119_162803.thumb.jpg.f5161844b45208b0d2f609e4be09ee9a.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

47 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for your contributions, I meant the very last fossil of your field collecting career (titel etc. edited).

Franz Bernhard

I am going out this weekend, and am far from retiring, so I am not allowed to comment here.  But I know there are there who have retired from The Field.  I'm looking at you RJB.  

• Thank You 1

I plan to contribute to this thread.  In about 50 years (and I'm 66 now).

Don

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

27 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Our brain-powered cyborg bodies will be able to move a lot of rock much more efficiently. :D 

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I’ll collect until the end so I will not be able to post my last find. ”I'll show you my last-collected fossil when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" Apologies to Charlton Heston and others.

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, jpc said:

..... and am far from retiring, so I am not allowed to comment here.  ....

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

7 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I’ll collect until the end so I will not be able to post my last find.....

I'm curious why you all are interpreting the OP as meaning "you will never collect again"?  I read it as HE can't collect so he wants to see what the last thing you found, NOT that you had to be through with collecting in order to post.

:zzzzscratchchin:

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

From Franz's first post: 

"First fossil collected ever - clear!

But what is your very last fossil collected in the field? Sounds absurd and sad, but I think, there are members in this forum, which do not longer field collect."

I am one of these, I don´t do field trips any longer, and so no more fossils."

And after several people posted their most recent find, he responded: "Thanks for your contributions, I meant the very last fossil of your field collecting career (titel etc. edited). "  [note: Franz put "very last" in bold]

So the question seems clear, at least to me and some others.  In response to the thread about your first ever fossil that got you started, when your collecting career is finished what is the last fossil you collected (or will ever collect)?

Don

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

58 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

NOT that you had to be through with collecting in order to post.

That was exactly what I meant. There are members here, that don´t field collect any longer. I would like to see the very last self-collected specimen!

Franz Bernhard

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

So the question seems clear, at least to me and some others.

Thank you! Its nearly impossible for me to express such difficult things properly. Sorry for confusion!

• Enjoyed 1

22 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thank you! Its nearly impossible for me to express such difficult things properly. Sorry for confusion!

I think you expressed it well.

I'm sorry your circumstances have made collecting a source of stress and not joy.  I hope the Fossil Forum will help you to keep some involvement with fossils, we certainly appreciate your contributions.

Don

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

@FranzBernhard perhaps a slightly cheerier thread for those who have downed tools for good would be "what is your final legacy fossil?"

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I'm curious why you all are interpreting the OP as meaning "you will never collect again"?  I read it as HE can't collect so he wants to see what the last thing you found, NOT that you had to be through with collecting in order to post.

Semantics. Should have used the word "latest". The word "last" has enough different meanings to render it ambiguous.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I can’t add a fossil to your thread just yet, but I am sorry to hear that you won’t be out field collecting anymore! I always enjoyed your informative trip reports and your polished rudist sections. I hope you will still be a contributor to the forum. 

Best wishes! :) 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

10 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Semantics. Should have used the word "latest". The word "last" has enough different meanings to render it ambiguous.

Thank you!

Google yields only one translation, lets see:

last = zuletzt

latest = neueste

very last = allerletzte

very latest = ganz aktuell

The bold one would fit best in German, but its still ambiguous. Tricky business ;)!

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

13 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm sorry your circumstances have made collecting a source of stress and not joy.  I hope the Fossil Forum will help you to keep some involvement with fossils, we certainly appreciate your contributions.

10 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I can’t add a fossil to your thread just yet, but I am sorry to hear that you won’t be out field collecting anymore! I always enjoyed your informative trip reports and your polished rudist sections. I hope you will still be a contributor to the forum. 

Thank you!

I was about 10 years (also) into fossils, with the main focus exploring formations in western Styria from 2016 to 2022. This resulted in 4 publications in a local journal.

Last year in August, I switched back to "fossils sites for families" (started in 2015, but soon abandoned), this time including also sites for minerals, ores and rocks.

I have already linked to that, but here it is again:

Fundstellen - Inhalt (franzbernhard.lima-city.de)

This has also found an end at the moment. Maybe I can resume that in the distant future, but without any collecting (hopefully).

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

9 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

The bold one would fit best in German, but its still ambiguous. Tricky business ;)!

In English as well - tricky business!

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The very last fossil I will have collected is myself. :)

Joking aside, I have been out of hunting for several years... kind of.

As with many fossil collectors, my career has gone through various stages. I went from collecting random curios, to collecting everything in sight, to increasing and optimizing a collection with specified limits (e.g. all Pennsylvanian and Pleistocene genera within a strict geographical area around my town). Eventually, I would hunt less and less as new fossil types became few and far between. I have looked into into collecting at promising sites farther afield within my area, but that takes more gas and time to explore. Also, as with many collectors, storage space around the house has become a premium. I will still collect fossils if an opportunity arises, as it did a couple years ago when nearby road construction nicely exposed a concretion-bearing bed. Still, I have a few interesting sites (to me) that I will continue to explore on and off in the future.

Edit:  Not to mention all the productive highway exposures that have faded and overgrown over the years 

As for my latest find, it is this phosphatic concretion that I found in a nearby creek a couple months ago, and opened just now:

IMG_3973.thumb.jpg.027fd5092912c3c44e186ad25977e39f.jpg

Fish skeletal element

Muncie Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City, Missouri

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Context is critical.

I don't think I can talk about my last fossil found, but it certainly had to be a shell. My last outing is a sieving of shell sediment 3/4 hours drive from my home, in the Redonian (Lower Pliocene). I still have some to sort !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 1 month later...

I missed this post until now, Franz, but I'm also sorry to hear that your collecting days are at an end (probably).

I've already forgotten which fossil was my latest (last year), but hopefully it's not my last (final) one. My collecting trips have diminished for various reasons but I don't expect to quit just yet. There are some newly dumped piles of rock up my local hill that I found out about last year, though it appears other collectors are on top of it quicker than I am, as the finds were pretty sparse for the size of the piles. Maybe after this winter there will be more fossils exposed and I'll get at them before anyone else does, but I'm not counting on that... Competition from other collectors and lack of storage space will be what stop me (if not infirmity/death).