BirdsAreDinosaurs

Hi all. Another Kem Kem tooth that I find hard to ID. I would say definitely not Abelisaurid. When comparing this tooth to the photo's in Troodons Kem Kem theropod topic I fine it hard to find a good match. The tooth is 3 cm long. Thanks again!

cretaceous-theropod-nosasaurid-abeilsaur-dinosaur-tooth-from-kem-kem-beds-morocco-sku-v2318-deltadromeus-cf-agilis-p3746-10112_medium.jpg            cretaceous-theropod-nosasaurid-abeilsaur-dinosaur-tooth-from-kem-kem-beds-morocco-sku-v2318-deltadromeus-cf-agilis-p3746-10113_medium.jpg

Nice tooth.  This morphology is really undescribed like many from those deposits.   If you look at what possibilities exist given its size Deltadromeus is a candidate.   Hopefully one day we there will be a skull found with teeth that can give us conclusive answers.    In the meantime its another indeterminate theropod

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice tooth.  This morphology is really undescribed like many from those deposits.   If you look at what possibilities exist given its size Deltadromeus is a candidate.   Hopefully one day we there will be a skull found with teeth that can give us conclusive answers.    In the meantime its another indeterminate theropod

Thanks again! I like the shape of the tooth and the look of the serrations and did not yet have anything like it, so I decided to buy it. Having mystery teeth is also kind of fun (still hope they do find that skull though).

• I Agree 1

My recommendation to all KK tooth collectors is to exactly do that.  Buy interesting teeth that are not your typical ones and someday you might get answers.   

• Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I just received this tooth today. Nice little tooth, quite robust (not as compressed as my other teeth). Some things that I noticed: the mesial carina ends mid crown and the distal carina is displaced. Could this mean it is a pre-max tooth? It does have some similarities with a pre-max Carch tooth in Troodons Kem Kem theropod overview. Could this be a Carch tooth (even though at first sight it does not look like a typical one) or are there things that set it apart, like the serrations and overall shape?

20220318_215802.jpg

20220318_215748.jpg

20220318_215816.jpg

20220318_215846.jpg

20220318_214544.jpg

20220318_215119.jpg

Can I see a better photo of the distal side of the tooth.  Avoid using fingers.  Whats the serration count on both edges

I count around 13 serrations per 5 mm on both sides, close to mid tooth. Mesial carina reaches to about 2/3 of the crown. Hope this photo is more informative.

20220318_225534.jpg

Perfect thank you.  I dont know its definitively possible with that mesial carina and distal displacement so you have a good point.  I'm hedging because the mesial edge looks like it comes all the way down but just not dentulated.  So not sure how that affects anything .  Hendrickx is the expert and he's not identifying teeth at this moment

Thanks, Troodon. I had a better look at the carina on the mesial side and you are right, it does come all the way down to the base. See the attached photo (sorry, had to hold it in my hand to be able to capture the carina which is not very pronounced near the base). So I guess I will just label it as Theropod indet.

20220319_083445_resized.jpg

Probably the best.   I would send Hendricks an email in a few months to see where he stands.  I think about his new job in Argentina 

Thanks for the advice. I will reach out to him later and if he replies I will share his views here.