Strange fossil, possibly archaeocyatha

Geep

I recently purchased the object below, and am curious to know if anyone can help identify it. The seller themselves has provided very little insight, though I'm trying to see if they can give more details. I'm not overly concerned about what it is, though it would be nice if the seller's information is accurate.

The seller claims this is from South Australia and they believe it to be an archaeocyatha from the Cambrian period.

Typical archeocyatha fossils I've seen show the 'cup within a cup', which may be what is visible to the right of the main feature? I don't know if the feather-like structure is one of these organisms on its side, or something else entirely.

This photo is the only one I have- I have not yet received the item, but can post more photos when I do.

Thank you for any help in identifying this.

archeaocyathea.jpg

Definitely archaeocyathid,particular given the cross-sections in the upper right corner of your piece

Yes, I see Archaeocyathids and even more interesting is, I think you may have a rarer Helicoplacus on the same plate.  WOW. I have many Archaeocyathid specimens, I could only hope for a Helioplacus. 

Helicoplacus guthi westgard pass CA  27a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, fossilcrazy said:

Yes, I see Archaeocyathids and even more interesting is, I think you may have a rarer Helicoplacus on the same plate.  WOW. I have many Archaeocyathid specimens, I could only hope for a Helioplacus. 

Has Helicoplacus (not Helioplacus, I think) been found in Australia? 

It would be brilliant if this were one.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

Yes, I see Archaeocyathids and even more interesting is, I think you may have a rarer Helicoplacus on the same plate.

How do I work this out?

Google isn't proving particularly useful for information, and I don't have any other resources right now. I also don't yet have the fossil in person- that may take a couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone!

I  think you DO have Helicoplacus gilberti Durham And Caster 1963

Edit: both gogiids and helicoplacoids sometimes need to be retrodeformed,as they can suffer deformation

edit:spelling

Edited by doushantuo

Hi,

Why 4 people could see your photo and I can’t see it today, the link is broken ! Would you have deleted it after you got those answers ? :headscratch:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Why 4 people could see your photo and I can’t see it today, the link is broken ! Would you have deleted it after you got those answers ? :headscratch:

Coco

I can see the photo. Maybe it's your browser?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice piece.  One doesn't see many of those around

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

4 hours ago, Coco said:

It should still be there- I can see it normally. Sorry you can't- I don't know how to help.

5 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I  think you DO have Helicoplacus gilberti Durham And Caster 1963

Thanks, I'll look into that reference.
Do people tend to take these things to museums for identification assistance?

The seller was able to give a little more detail:
"It was definitely in Flinders ranges and maybe in Brachina Gorge area but can't remember."

Interesting! I thought of Helicoplacoid when I saw it too but dared not say anything until I read the ensuing discussion.

Good idea to take it to a museum if you're not too far away from one (South Australian Museum?), but they might try to persuade you to donate it if it's what we're thinking it is, unless somehow they're got a bunch of those already!

@Geep@LudwigiaOn my 2nd computer I see the photo ! I don’t understand because I use the same browser...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hello, I'm sorry to contradict some previous answers, but I think the fossil possibly identified as Helicoplacus  isn't that ; in my opinion the large fossil in the center of the photo is an Archeocyatha of which we can see the external wall, and at the top (left) the  section of cup: I justify with a document extracted from 'Archaeocyatha' contribution à l'étude des faunes cambriennes du Maroc , de Sardaigne et de France  by Françoise Debrenne, 1964 , Rabat Editions de la division de la géologie :

page 68 (text) and 69 (figure 26 )  Sigmocyathus from Australia....(the only genus of Archeocyatha possessing an outer wall of this type)

Please correct me if I'm wrong despite my conviction.

archeocyatha 002.jpg

archeocyatha 003.jpg

archeocyatha 004.JPG

Edited by marguy
add image + typo
  • I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Geep said:

It should still be there- I can see it normally. Sorry you can't- I don't know how to help.

We prefer that photos are uploaded to the forum rather than linked.  As you can see, linked photos are not always viewable.  Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ