echinocnchid brachiopod

Chris finner

My son and I get a lot of clams from castleton, UK but I’ve never seen anything quite like this… any ID would be fantastic. 

thanks

86AF51A4-1C67-44F5-BCA2-296D533465E8.jpeg

8047009A-AD01-4AA0-8977-8629F78B4755.jpeg

8A3FC370-4602-4561-B825-DC698B960961.jpeg

4927EABA-A0A6-4AC4-BBAD-288A73CAF285.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

In my opinion, there are two brachiopods attached. (Maybe the spines are gone?)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't think this is two brachiopods, to me it looks a lot more like one large brachiopod which was crushed and is missing a chunk from the middle of the shell closer to the hinge line. You can see where the missing portion is as it exposes the calcite crystal filled inside.

I'm not too good with Carboniferous brachs, @Tidgy's Dad may be able to say more, especially on the actual ID of the organism.

Edited by Misha
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Misha said:

I don't think this is two brachiopods, to me it looks a lot more like one large brachiopod which was crushed and is missing a chunk from the middle of the shell.

Not good with Carboniferous brachs, @Tidgy's Dad may be able to say more, especially on the actual ID of the brach.

So, in your opinion is a brachiopod and not a bivalve?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

12 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

So, in your opinion is a brachiopod and not a bivalve?

I believe it is a productive brachiopod.

If it were more complete I believe it may look a bit more like this:

Picsart_22-05-09_18-34-22-571.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

When I first saw this, I thought @abyssunder was correct and this showed two specimens on top of each other, but; on closer inspection, I now believe that @Misha is most certainly correct and that this is just the remains of one large productid brachiopod. 

There are at least fifty species of productid known from the area and about forty of them  are productoids, so it's pretty difficult to narrow that down without some extensive research. Size may help to reduce this number significantly and so Echinoconchus is a possibility, though there are at least three species of this. 

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • Enjoyed 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png