How Can I Tell If It Is Coprolite?

J.D.

Here is some information:

Edited by Fin Lover

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

And an expert @GeschWhat

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Don't do a taste test.

Yeah, some specimens like shark coprolites have a certain look - a spiral form.  Some of the specimens that have been sent to me look less like one.  Finding bits of fish scale or bone embedded would be an indicator.

• Enjoyed 1

I thought "lick it" was standard instruction for beginners.  Useless, but standard. :)

This doesn't look like one to me.

• Enjoyed 2

• Fossildude19 changed the title to How Can I Tell If It Is Coprolite?
12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I thought "lick it" was standard instruction for beginners.  Useless, but standard. :)

This doesn't look like one to me.

Oh yeah.  My grandfather tried to get my dad to do that with something not nearly a fossil the time he took him deer hunting before my mom and dad were married.  He didn't fall for it.

• Enjoyed 1

Here is one of the best posts from GeschWhat to help with possible coprolites. This should be pinned.

• Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks, all.  This is a great set of responses!  I appreciate the help.  Before I set out on the taste test, I’ll be sure to smell first.  @Fin Lover Thank you for sharing the other posting.  Probably shoulda searched first for that. 

• Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, J.D. said:

Thanks, all.  This is a great set of responses!  I appreciate the help.  Before I set out on the taste test, I’ll be sure to smell first.  @Fin Lover Thank you for sharing the other posting.  Probably shoulda searched first for that. 

The weight test generally eliminates the need for the smell test. I have mistakenly picked up aspiring coprolites while hunting petrified poop in the Lance and Hell Creek Formations. They were too light weight - lick test not advised. 

On a more serious note, I would put yours in the likely pile. It probably won’t have good stickage. The color is right for the area. The underside is consistent with what one would expect when soft serve hits the ground.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

@GeschWhat Ok, this is great.  My wife was unwilling to concede - she thought for sure this was … coprolite.  It is reasonably heavy, but not weirdly heavy.  Also, I did lick it and … not yummy.  Thanks!!!!