Is this a proper foot?

Also_Loves_Music

Hi! 

So, this is from a seller I've bought from before. Spino teeth, cropolite, some eggshell, nothing too weird. When I saw this foot, I found it really cool. It's supposed to be from a psittacosaurus. I'm supposed to pick it up later. So I'm reading up on this dinosaur, only to hear they are being faked a lot... I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

943027174_Screenshot_20230107-2238062.png

Without a provenance difficult to say its a Psittacosaurus.  It's not a foot but a set of  metatarsals and the proximal ends of some phalanges attached to the ends.  A very high percentage of this type of material is composited and this appears to be one.

This is a complete foot of a Psittacosaurus

Screenshot_20230107_153010_Drive.thumb.jpg.518e1102bba4ddcc2b2b2276a9a2a33b.jpg

Thank you for the fast reply! I'm fairly new to this field and English is not my first language... Does composite mean it's made up of different bits of bone? And would there be any way to figure out if it is? (Will go the place that sells it in a few months, seller is holding on to it for me for now) 

6 minutes ago, Also_Loves_Music said:

Does composite mean it's made up of different bits of bone?

A composite is a group of bones from different animals, typically of the same species, to complete an assemblage.

6 minutes ago, Also_Loves_Music said:

And would there be any way to figure out if it is?

I've already say it looks like a composite...I base that on " its typical" on this material,  Metatarsal IV us about the same size as M-III should be smaller,  the matrix used to attached the bones looks very suspicious

• I found this Informative 1

53 minutes ago, Troodon said:

A composite is a group of bones from different animals, typically of the same species, to complete an assemblage.

I've already say it looks like a composite...I base that on " its typical" on this material,  Metatarsal IV us about the same size as M-III should be smaller,  the matrix used to attached the bones looks very suspicious

Sorry, I read the first reply really fast as it's late over here ;) Thank you for elaborating! I'm not sure if I would mind it being from a few different animals I think, but the fact that it's basically grouped together with clay gives it such a dodgy feel... I'm not really sure what to do now. 

Well it all depend what you want in your collection.. it's not a foot but a set of metatarsals which is nice.  You have to determine what the material holding the bones together could be, most likely it natural matrix where the bones were collected.   Lots of collectors buy this type of assemblages

Ah thanks, that sounds sort of better ;) I'm realistic enough to know that for the budget I generally have I'm not going to be able to buy, like, museum pieces. I'm kind of glad it does look like proper bone and not plaster altogether ;) I'll ask the seller about it and go from there. If he can explain the background to me it's fine, if he were to insist it's from one animal and came out of the ground looking like this I'll probably pass.