Is this amber?

jlcorbett

If it is heavy & cold to the touch, it isn't amber. I'm thinking more along the lines of calcite or quartz. Amber will fluoresce with UV light & will be very light for it's size & actually feel almost warm to the touch. If it fails those, putting a small amount of vinegar on one of the surfaces could tell if it's calcite or not. Calcite will bubble and/or dissolve with vinegar, while quartz won't. 

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Doesn't look like amber to me, looks more like a weathered stone. Amber is usually light and what you have in the picture looks very heavy

2 hours ago, Pliosaur said:

picture looks very heavy

Through the wonder of video I guess that is possible. Sure sounds funny though. :) 

• I Agree 1

7 hours ago, daves64 said:

If it is heavy & cold to the touch, it isn't amber. I'm thinking more along the lines of calcite or quartz. Amber will fluoresce with UV light & will be very light for it's size & actually feel almost warm to the touch. If it fails those, putting a small amount of vinegar on one of the surfaces could tell if it's calcite or not. Calcite will bubble and/or dissolve with vinegar, while quartz won't. 

The peice is really light for its size and feel waxy and warm in hand, thanks for the vinegar trick to try!

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

If you heat the head of a pin and press it to amber it will release an organic smell.

Thanks for that worth a try

2 hours ago, Pliosaur said:

Doesn't look like amber to me, looks more like a weathered stone. Amber is usually light and what you have in the picture looks very heavy

Stone is quite light to hold