Fossil hunting locations in the Morrison Formation and Hell creek formation

Fossil Collect

Hello! Does anyone know any good locations for hunting for dinosaur teeth and bones in the Morrison formation formation specifically in the Colorado and Wyoming area and any good locations for the Hell creek formation in South Dakota. I understand fossil hunters are reluctant to share this information but any information helps!

Welcome to the Forum.

Sign up with a local paleo society that may have access to private land. You usually cannot collect vertebrates from public lands including BLM and US Forest lands.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

All the locations you can collect the Hell Creek Fm of South Dakota are located on private ranches where you need landowner approval to gain access.  There are no areas you can just walk up to and collect.   I'm guessing most of the better properties already have leases with commercial diggers or institutions.  There are companies that offer collecting trips that some of our members take advantage of.   All have trade-offs but it's a way to have access to this land and gain experience collecting..