Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

Here is another little one I had for awhile then let it go. B)B)B):D

post-23-1212851618_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Worthy,

I've seen some very big Indigo snakes in Florida myself, I assume that is what you had there? They are now considered endangered I hear because of so much habitat loss and stupid people killing them.

Wow that's a big Indigo! A nice Eastern Diamonback and my favorit the Pigmy! I caught one in Arkansas that was ok looking,you know kinda muted red coloration.The ones down south are screamers as far as color! There is a local in S.Carolina that produces extreme red specimens.

nice catches/observations!

Here's a pretty Cottonmouth I saw last week while diving for fossils. They are not timid in the least and typically ignore me unless I get within four or five feet. When I get too close they stop what they're doing and give me a look that I translate as, "Go ahead, make my day". I find it interesting that they swim on the water, not in it like most snakes on the surface. If I see a snake on top of the water I know it's not going to want company. I ran in to one 28 feet down a couple of years ago. I was cross current to the snake so all it could read was my pressure waves. It was curious but not agressive. I decided it was time to find another dive spot.

post-210-1212876116_thumb.jpg

What kind of snake is this ??? It was caught at Ft Myers Fla.

post-23-1212891061_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Here's a pretty Cottonmouth I saw last week while diving for fossils. They are not timid in the least and typically ignore me unless I get within four or five feet. When I get too close they stop what they're doing and give me a look that I translate as, "Go ahead, make my day". I find it interesting that they swim on the water, not in it like most snakes on the surface. If I see a snake on top of the water I know it's not going to want company. I ran in to one 28 feet down a couple of years ago. I was cross current to the snake so all it could read was my pressure waves. It was curious but not agressive. I decided it was time to find another dive spot.

post-210-1212876116_thumb.jpg

Yeah buddy that appears to be a very large copperhead.Intresting i've never known any copperheads to be aquatic.I guess possibilities are endless.

Lowes Farm Krew For Life!

~C*J*J*D*D*G*P~

My Shark Teeth Website.MANSFIELD EXCLUSIVES!!

Hi worthy, that snake seems to be a mystery. I know it's not native to Florida! It seems that one of the reptile importers had an escapee! It almost has the body shape of the northern cat eyed snake of southern Texas. Which is a protected snake. The pattern is different though. I bet that snake is rear fanged! It just kinda has that look to it! Very cool though! :)

Yeah buddy that appears to be a very large copperhead.Intresting i've never known any copperheads to be aquatic.I guess possibilities are endless.

Cody, the snake in the picture is true cottonmouth "agkistrodon" . eastern cottonmouth. They usually swim with their bodies above water, whereas most watersnakes you will usually see just the head!

Copperheads are not nearly as aquatic, although they are usually found close to creeks/streams because of their usual food source when young "frogs"and "skinks" :)

Guest solius symbiosus

I went out to the outcrop where I have been pulling the crinoids. The cicadas were everywhere. The pic doesn't do them justice(wish I could add audio). These things were so loud that you couldn't concentrate.

The critters are about 5cm in length.

post-179-1213067775_thumb.jpg

Striking! (No pun intended). I can't tell on my lousy screen; are the scales "keeled" or not? Also, are the pupils round?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex, sorry but I only saw it's picture. I first thought it was some type of coral snake cross. I am not much on snake ID's. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Not an animal, but in one of my last hunting trip,I found this rare orchid.I`ve look in some books , I look on internet, but I can`t ID it.Very nice, though!

post-62-1212042563_thumb.jpg

I initially thought it was a cypripedium until I looked again. Is the lip not a pouch but simply reflexed back greatly? This link has orchids that are quite similar.

http://www.lidaforsgarden.com/Orchids/ophrys_eng.htm

Saw a great looking king snake today in the Huachuka Mountains...I did not measure it, but it was at least two and a half to three feet long.

kingsnake.jpg

kingsnake2.jpg

Walt

Since my other main hobby is keeping and looking for snakes, this really

got my attention. I know enough to say that this snake is not typical or even indigenous, but

not enough to correctly ID it. I posted the picture on a forum specifically

for identifying snakes, and so far two people responded saying it could

be a strangely patterned Eastern Coral snake. Do you still have the snake?

If so, please be careful!

Thanks,

Eddie

Guest N.AL.hunter

Safossils, what a beautiful snake and incredible picture. The color contrast between the snake and the surrounding terrain is dramatic! Great post.

I tend to steer clear of any snakes...we did not pester it, just snapped a few photos and let it go. N.AL.hunter, thanks for the very kind words...it was one of those rare photogenic moments.

Walt

Cody , here is a cool snake that I caught back in the glades when I was a lot younger HaHa!! It was a little over 8'7" I took it home for a few days then took him back and let him go where I caught him. .B)B)B):D

Holy cow, that's a huge Indigo! Thanks for sharing those pictures. Too bad these guys are vanishing

in the wild.

Great snakes btw. Here are pics of mine, he's about a year old. (Sorry, I know this off topic, but I was coincidentally posting these pics to another forum when I saw your post with the Indigo pictures.)

Thanks,

Eddie

3899_9345_Large_5U7eLnE6BrX.jpg

3899_9344_Large_kH5A1GVJ7D.jpg

3899_9346_Large_yueHCg1xgj3s.jpg

3899_9347_Large_nClT7EWoZE4gdWd.jpg

3899_9348_Large_3A8vXLMraR.jpg

Since my other main hobby is keeping and looking for snakes, this really

got my attention. I know enough to say that this snake is not typical or even indigenous, but

not enough to correctly ID it. I posted the picture on a forum specifically

for identifying snakes, and so far two people responded saying it could

be a strangely patterned Eastern Coral snake. Do you still have the snake?

If so, please be careful!

Thanks,

Eddie

Eddie that that sure doesn't look like an eastern coral, the color/pattern variation is too extreme from the norm.That would be the coolest abberancy I've seen in a while!The head looks like it might be an elapid though! Might be a hybrid ,Who knows, I hope you get it identified! :) I'm betting it's Asian.Thanks for the pics.

B

Saw a great looking king snake today in the Huachuka Mountains...I did not measure it, but it was at least two and a half to three feet long.

Walt

Wow what a beauty! I had a pair of those a few years back.We call em Woodini, short for "lampropeltis pyromelana woodini" or Huachuka Mt kingsnake. They have been in the pet trade quite some time. Thanks for the photo!

B

These aren't as exciting as snakes but thought them worth posting. I have no definate identifications for them.

post-281-1213655380_thumb.jpg

post-281-1213655388_thumb.jpg

Your butterfly is a Mourning Cloak, and a beautifully marked one at that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived