Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

Grabbed this today In Texas!Name that serpent?She was a real beauty and only musked me with not an attempt to bite!

B

Western Ribbon?

Gotta question for the southern members. Has anyone or known anyone to keep an Armadilo as a pet. I see them when I drive to the Fla keys all over. Not on the keys mind you. I stopped and tryed to catch one once and it freaked out. Didn't bother it anymore, but they just look so interesting. I realize their diet would be tuff to keep up but, is it possible?

...Has anyone or known anyone to keep an Armadilo as a pet?... I realize their diet would be tuff to keep up but, is it possible?

I suspect that it would be a challenge. They are prodigious diggers, and (surprisingly) can really jump!

They are also the only creature besides man to suffer from leprosy.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Tell me about it. When I tried to catch the one I did, he jumped about three ft, legs flailing. Scared the snarge out of me, I had em by the tail for a few seconds. It was on the side of the Florida Turnpike. I'm suprised I didn't cause an accident, must have been quite comical. My wife in the car said it was the funniest thing she ever saw, a grown man chasing a jumping, flailing Armadilo down the side of a highway. I seem to remember it was making a squealing noise to. I'll try again next time I'm down there, Auspex, I'll just make sure it's not one of the "unclean".

OOPS! I just realized what I wrote, let me get this out of the way now. To all the lepars on the forum, friends and or relatives of lepars, even to those who may have considered taking up the lepar lifestyle "there's nothing wrong with that" I apologize. It was not my intention to offend any of you merely using a biblical referance. :)

Fly

No offense to me! As for grabbing dillers, keep in mind that their sense of sight isn't very good, but if you sneak up quietly from directly behind and downwind of them, grab their tail and hoist them aloft before their synapses fire and their claws find purchase in the ground, you'll have a handful of squirming, flailing, nothing but air clawing energy. I've caught many this way. The wife once witnessed this in addition to hand grabbing seagulls out of the air and from then on referred to me as the Beastmaster.

I've actually eaten armadillo a couple times in my younger and leaner years, and my jaw is still attached. I remember it tasting a bit like pork, and being a little greasy the same way.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I caught one when i was little but lifted it to high and let it get its claws into me it shredded my forearm so be careful!

Catching armadillos by hand...it must be a southern outdoors rite of passage. (No offense to my northern friends, you just don't have 'dillos, or you'd have tried it too. :P) I've done it more times than I care to admit. For those not initiated, you can practice by chucking the largest drill bit you have, turning your drill on a medium speed and grabbing the bit.....now jerk it back and forth violently. Now, you're ready; just have someone there to witness, video, or provide transport to medical care. :wacko:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I grabbed one years ago, while hog hunting. It was at night, and he didn't put up much of a struggle. I've tried during the dayight, and never had any luck. I guess they don't have very good eyesight in the daylight, and even less at night with a flashlight shined in their eyes. Back home in Northern KS we only have the shelless variety to grab, and we grab a lot of those(opossums).

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Catching armadillos by hand...it must be a southern outdoors rite of passage. (No offense to my northern friends, you just don't have 'dillos, or you'd have tried it too. :P) I've done it more times than I care to admit. For those not initiated, you can practice by chucking the largest drill bit you have, turning your drill on a medium speed and grabbing the bit.....now jerk it back and forth violently. Now, you're ready; just have someone there to witness, video, or provide transport to medical care. :wacko:

That's funny! I'll start practicing.

That's funny! I'll start practicing.

Well that wasn't funny at all. Even tried the other hand, now they're both chewed to shreds. As soon as I get out of the hospital I'll post the video. Maybe it was the paddle bit. :o

I headed out this morning on an exploratory trip and ran into several "critters". First these monsters were going hog wild beside the road...

Yikes! it's Hogzilla, Jr.

I love this thread. Especially the photos of the badgers, tiger swallowtail, and king snake. Great photos! There sure are a lot of snake encounters. I've seen several snakes too, but haven't been able to photograph most. Seeing critters - and sometimes getting decent photographs of them - is definitely one of the joys of collecting fossils, in my opinion. Below are some of my finds. The best ones, though, always seem to be too quick for me to capture with my camera.

Very nice pictures.

To add to the wolf spider collection.

This Rabid Wolf Spider (no, it's not actually rabid) with egg sac showed up as I ate lunch after killing my back sifting stream gravel. The egg sac is supposed to start out white and then get gray as it's dragged over the forest floor. Sometimes it becomes this gray/blue color.

post-100-1221756651_thumb.jpg

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Found this little fellow while hunting for petrified wood in Wyoming:

post-757-1222128781_thumb.jpg

I suppose I'm lucky this big fellow wasn't home:

post-757-1222128859_thumb.jpg

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Guest bmorefossil

nice pics. there are so many critters that we see but we are so busy picking up fossils to take pictures lol, this week there were hundreds of thousands of fish in the water and they would swim around my feet, the only problem was that they would make the water turn black and you couldnt see anything

Guest solius symbiosus

I noticed a Blue Heron sitting on a stump fishing on my way back from an outcrop today. We usually don't see Herons around here; being so far from any major bodies of water, and so far inland.

post-179-1222643532_thumb.jpg

Guest Nicholas
I noticed a Blue Heron sitting on a stump fishing on my way back from an outcrop today. We usually don't see Herons around here; being so far from any major bodies of water, and so far inland.

post-179-1222643532_thumb.jpg

My last hunt we ran into a Blue Haron, it was one of the biggest i've seen. He was taking a snooze in the quarry material was, I startled him while I was collecting and he flew a couple of meters away. Returning back to his spot when we were leaving.

The other day when i was at my current favorite spot a pod of dolphins turned up (did i mention this spot is on the edge of a major saltwater lake system thats open to the sea) and began to to round up a patch of bait fish about 5-6 meters out from where i was standing they where jumping out of the water and slapping thier tails on the surface to stun the fish it was realy quite somthing.

now where i come from dolphins are a very common occurence but this day was special the sun was shining the water was crystal and the only thing missing was my camera which i had left at home on the charger for the first time in days <_< .

oh well i spose the moral of the story is if you want to see dolphins under perfect conditions leave your camera at home :P

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

• 2 weeks later...