Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

Here is a pod of baby gators from the Peace River. They sure are cute when they're babies. I wanted to pick one up so bad, but it's illegal. I'm sure every Florida fossil hunter already knows this, but if you visit Florida, don't feed the alligators. Once an alligator is fed by people, it will eat fossil hunters.

post-1278-1240268856_thumb.jpg

My contributions

You're good!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yea, the vis is great in this spot way up river when it's flowing good early in the season. I can usually see about three feet. As the summer progresses and the river slows down the vis drops to one or two feet. This one produces megs but they are usually under 4 inches.

What's with the clear water, Ron????

Here is a pod of baby gators from the Peace River. They sure are cute when they're babies. I wanted to pick one up so bad, but it's illegal. I'm sure every Florida fossil hunter already knows this, but if you visit Florida, don't feed the alligators. Once an alligator is fed by people, it will eat fossil hunters.

That is one awesome pic.

Sexytime2.jpg

I almost forgot this one, I took it this morning. I have a macro lens.

thank you Auspex, I actually suck but luckily can shoot 6fps and actually catch something decent.

Kevin Goto, Lafayette,CA.

...I actually suck but luckily can shoot 6fps and actually catch something decent.

All the hot equipment in the world won't help if you don't have an eye, and if you do, you can express it with a Brownie. Your results are small celebtations of light and form that evoke the subject.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

post-1082-1240277552_thumb.jpg

This wellsummer hen decided the female duck wasn't doing a good job. Her and the duck never left the nest and now they get to fight over who gets the babies.

post-1082-1240277375_thumb.jpg

I found this cute little guy on the side of the ditch I was looking in.

post-1082-1240277429_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1240277477_thumb.jpg

This poor guy was missing his whole tail and was trying to recoup in the sun on Sunday.

post-1082-1240277510_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

i really can't express how cool some of these pictures are. a couple of ya'll newer posters shouldn't have waited so long to jump in. great stuff.

All the hot equipment in the world won't help if you don't have an eye, and if you do, you can express it with a Brownie. Your results are small celebtations of light and form that evoke the subject.

You mean Sexy time?? :P

I hope to get a uber fabulous lens this fall and if I ever get near anybody's collection I will have a field day photographing them in macro.

I use a Canon 40D and a 100mm 2.8 macro lens.

I hope to someday evoke some fossils to print.

Thanks!

This is a good thread. It reminds me of the one a year or so ago titled something like "Wildlife encounters" Someone who is smarter than me (That would include most reading this) should pull it up so the newer members can see it.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

This is a good thread. It reminds me of the one a year or so ago titled something like "Wildlife encounters" Someone who is smarter than me (That would include most reading this) should pull it up so the newer members can see it.

"Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting"

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...ic=1684&hl=

This poor guy was missing his whole tail and was trying to recoup in the sun on Sunday.

post-1082-1240277510_thumb.jpg

This appears to be a male broad-headed skink, Eumeces laticeps. They are reputed to be semi-arboreal, and in my experience are not abundant anywhere. They are usually quite elusive.

Skinks give up their tails when stressed, as by a predator, a process known as autotomy. A replacement tail will grow, though it is not as graceful as the original.

These skinks, particularly the larger males, have a powerful bite. The females are smaller, and more resemble a five-lined skink, Eumeces fasciatus, than the big male. I believe they are often seen in pairs, living in trees.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I always just called them giant skinks. I see them every year around my farm, they seem to love living in the sycamore trees. I have seen them get really big and yes, they do have a strong bite. When I was much younger, I used to catch them and have them clamp on my earlobes and wear them as earrings. I think I had to much time on my hands.

This appears to be a male broad-headed skink, Eumeces laticeps. They are reputed to be semi-arboreal, and in my experience are not abundant anywhere. They are usually quite elusive.

Skinks give up their tails when stressed, as by a predator, a process known as autotomy. A replacement tail will grow, though it is not as graceful as the original.

These skinks, particularly the larger males, have a powerful bite. The females are smaller, and more resemble a five-lined skink, Eumeces fasciatus, than the big male. I believe they are often seen in pairs, living in trees.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

:rofl: :rofl: Waaayy too much time. Mental picture is crazy, you bouncing around with skinkrings

I actually have a pict somewhere of me wearing some. Ill try to find it.

Alfred North Whithead

I actually have a pict somewhere of me wearing some. Ill try to find it.

That I would really like to see; hope you find it!

a friend taught me to do that years ago with those green lizards, anole carolinensis. but one time i put too big a one on my ear and he bit too hard and would chomp down again ever few seconds, so i just kept yelling each time he'd clamp down on me. it was one of those "you went through all that just to get a good story?" moments. it was so long ago that i don't even remember if i had a good enough audience to warrant going through the pain, but i do remember it hurt.

A few years ago on Maui at the aquarium. I have an underwater camera.

IMGP0411resized.jpg

IMGP0406resized.jpg

Ran into this little porker today.He came flying out of some scrub thorny stuff off of a high bank in the creek.At first I thought I was being attacked by a savage rat until he leapt into the water and ducked under some algae mat. I could see a foot sticking out ,so I grabbed him for a photo session.Man he was strong !Photographed this nice little colorful clam too.post-417-1240767331_thumb.jpgpost-417-1240767354_thumb.jpgpost-1-1189965617_thumb.jpg

post-417-1240767377_thumb.jpg

I was in SF GG park on Saturday taking pictures and looking for whatever.

Momanddadinthepark-1.jpg

Ducky-1.jpg

I did find this pair while weeding, I just had to go and get my camera.

In keeping within the boundaries of the forum.

Radiolarian chert?

Rockyroad.jpg

I got really lucky this morning and encountered a very bold octopus...

Mesmerizing! I am soooo fascinated with octopi...