Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

Shadows of pain from last weekend...

post-420-1244129073_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest N.AL.hunter
Sometimes while out diving dolphins will come to the boat (never while I am on the surface - dang). Anyhow here are just a few photos that I shot.

post-1309-1244090602_thumb.jpgpost-1309-1244090612_thumb.jpgpost-1309-1244090655_thumb.jpg

I have a bunch more dolphin and scenery photos here:

http://www.megateeth.com/photos.htm

My wife would die to have an encounter like this. Wonderful pictures. Now all you have to do is train it to find the Megs for you. Sounds like a good plan, one meg for one sardine.

Shadows of pain from last weekend...

The baby cluster is way cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The baby cluster is way cool!

I agree.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that in Michigan.

I don't have a picture of this or anything--but back in the 90's I went fishing in Brushy Creek off Parmer Lane, and I heard something making its way through the scrub brush, and I figured it was a deer that didn't realize I was sitting there. Well imagine my complete shock when an EMU came prancing out of the bushes! I was dumbfounded--I was new to Texas and had no idea that ranchers here raised emus (it was a craze in the 90's--everybody thought emus would be a huge cash cow but the emu thing never caught on). So consequently, some ranchers just let the emus free and many survived since Texas terrain and weather isn't a whole lot different than Australia. I haven't seen one since, but I am always on the lookout. They are really cool.

After that encounter, I discovered an emu ranch a few miles from there, and I would drive out there just to visit the emus. They would come up and peck your arm (didn't hurt) as if to say hello! Well one day I drove out there and was shocked to see that about half the emus had green heads! I was like WTF? Turns out the rancher had painted the fence green, and the dumb emus pecked at it so much before it dried that they got covered in green paint!

Texas is a very strange place

My wife would die to have an encounter like this. Wonderful pictures. Now all you have to do is train it to find the Megs for you. Sounds like a good plan, one meg for one sardine.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I have only had that happen three or four times. I was lucky to have my camera that time.

I keep saying the same thing about the megs. I was at a diving trade show called Our World Underwater in Chicago in the 80's. There was a guy that had a whole slide show and presentation. His friend lived on the water and would throw something (I can not remember what) in the water and trained a local dolphin to play fetch and gave the guy gave the dolphin a fish. One day he was sitting there and the dolphin came back with a Spanish coin. He kept feeding the dolphin and it would bring back coins. They finally followed it to a wreck in about 10 feet of water full of coins. I wonder if he kept feeding the dolphin after they found the wreck. It was a wild presentation and I will never forget it. They had hundreds of slides of the dolphin bringing in coins. Anyhow I have dreamed of doing that with Meg teeth for years. Or coins whatever the dolphin wants to bring me. With my luck it would just be a dead fish.

Love that Pilleated wood and Is that a rose breasted grosbeak, I cant tell.

Uhm......... about the second pict, please tell me that's not an impression of where a bird hit the window. If it is did it survive?

Wild Turkeys are super cool and you have lots. Your lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

Thanks. One more year and its all paid for. Yes, RB Grosbeak. The Pileated just started coming to my feeders recently. A morning dove hit my sliding door. This is the worst leftover impression I've ever seen. It was definitely dead. As far as turkeys, I had to remove those feeders in the picture and replace them with a turkey-proof feeder. I'm a birder and keep track of the birds I see on my property (7 acres with woods, meadow, pond and yard). I've gotten 122 different species so far in 14 years. Life list in US just broke 400. By the way, used to live down in Texas back in the late "80s - Austin was great but too hot.

I'm a birder and keep track of the birds I see on my property (7 acres with woods, meadow, pond and yard). I've gotten 122 different species so far in 14 years. Life list in US just broke 400.

Good yard-list! Habitat rules :) . What was your most unexpected sighting?

400 US is a pivotal number; congrats! (By "pivotal", I mean that each lifer becomes exponentially harder from here on out; excitement level up, frequency down). My US list is kinda' stuck... :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Caracaras are in the family Falconidae, so they come from a long line of high-speed bird hunters, but they look a bit like vultures because scavenging carion what they do for a living: classic case of convergent evolution.

We have these guys here in Florida, I seem to only see them in the middle of the state. And they always seem to hang out with vultures. Thanks for the info guys! I've been trying to get a picture of and ID those birds for a while :D

Dan

here's some pics of the pine barrens for everyone...

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0023-1-1.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

DSC01199-1.jpg

DSC01386-1.jpg

the last pic is the world famous inversand marl pit. lots of fossils there.

post-310-1244314246_thumb.jpg

Dinosaur Prov. Park just after super

Make you think of Bamby Burgers :D

here's some pics of the pine barrens for everyone...

The Jersey Pine Barens are really special; I wish I could just walk out my door and be there :)

Gotta' love the pitcher plants, and the marl pits have given up bird bones :wub:

Great pics; thanks!

• 2 months later...
The other day I had a turtle lay eggs right outside of the kitchen window. I'll follow it up with pictures if they hatch. B)B)B):D

Well I guess they hatched some time today. I only found this one and took it down to the river. B)B)B):)

Oh if you look at the tip of it's nose you can see the egg tooth.

post-23-1251493446_thumb.jpg

post-23-1251493532_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

post-2027-1251508260_thumb.jpg

I really like dung beetles; they remind me that there are worse occupations than retail...

Guest Smilodon
I really like dung beetles; they remind me that there are worse occupations than retail...

Lolololololol!!!!!

But you could be a mushroom. They keep you in the dark and feed you bull&^%$

341 replies and nobody has encountered these? Maybe I missed it.

Sioux Co, Nebraska

post-2027-1251507292_thumb.jpg

Yep, me too, Sioux Co., Nebraska

post-757-1251514631_thumb.jpg

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Saw these guys out there too.

post-757-1251514983_thumb.jpg

post-757-1251515014_thumb.jpg

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple I've encountered on recent hikes...

post-1856-1252296023475_thumb.jpg

post-1856-12522960311681_thumb.jpg

You can be hit by a boat and die

You can be attacked by a shark and die

OR you could fall off the couch and die

GET OFF THE COUCH - go scuba!

Ran into this little shark while looking for fossils on the beaches of Washington state. It was still alive (surprised us!) and my husband quickly picked it up and took it back to the ocean!

post-1856-12523332761939_thumb.jpg

You can be hit by a boat and die

You can be attacked by a shark and die

OR you could fall off the couch and die

GET OFF THE COUCH - go scuba!