Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

Great snake photos, Tera! Others might know better, but it looks like a banded water snake of some kind...vivid colors.

Thanks John! I know what the poisonous ones look like and are but the non-poisonus ones not so much.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Is that the kind of spider that chases you? We had the chasing kind in Illinois..

I think they are wolf spiders. They are more interested in getting away, although some will run towards you. I've never seen so many at one time. Most were 2-2.5 inches, although I have seen bigger.

I think they are wolf spiders. They are more interested in getting away, although some will run towards you. I've never seen so many at one time. Most were 2-2.5 inches, although I have seen bigger.

You must have discovered their den..

Welcome to the forum!

Okay so if you didn't catch this on my hunting thread here is some picts of the snake who decided to join me for lunch today. I was sitting on a rock and this guy just popped up out of the water with a catfish in his mouth. He stayed there at the edge of the water till the fish finally stopped fighting him and then slipped back down into the water under a rock. I really hope the fins on that catfish don't hurt him. I believe it was a diamond back water snake but I could be wrong. His tummy was really pretty red colored.

post-1082-025307900 1287280160_thumb.jpg post-1082-017196500 1287280162_thumb.jpg

post-1082-028186900 1287280164_thumb.jpg post-1082-031113800 1287280166_thumb.jpg

post-1082-008713300 1287280168_thumb.jpg post-1082-094976800 1287280169_thumb.jpg

Still going barefoot? :P

Still going barefoot? :P

:D Yes!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Perhaps my most unusual find while fossil collecting was a 5" Leucistic (white--with black eyes) Dekay's Brownsnake in north Broward County, Florida.

Be true to the reality you create.

Perhaps my most unusual find while fossil collecting was a 5" Leucistic (white--with black eyes) Dekay's Brownsnake in north Broward County, Florida.

Nice find, Frank! I wish you hadn't photographed it on a white background, though. It's difficult to make out in your post. :blink:

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Nice find, Frank! I wish you hadn't photographed it on a white background, though. It's difficult to make out in your post. :blink:

:P Here is a better photo;

. .

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

And here's one of my pet glass snake

:

I think you used the wrong pic; looks like a chameleon to me... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This was a critter I found recently. An old grasshopper skull. As common as grasshoppers are,

I had never found one before..

post-13-011199000 1287487731_thumb.jpg

post-13-032917900 1287487748_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

This was a critter I found recently. An old grasshopper skull. As common as grasshoppers are,

I had never found one before..

post-13-011199000 1287487731_thumb.jpg

post-13-032917900 1287487748_thumb.jpg

Very very cool! Looks like a big one to. :)

Alfred North Whithead

well, i've encountered the mighty and mejestic squirl. not all that interesting <_< but either then that, theres this big bee. notice how i found it when i got back home :P

post-3994-035291700 1288211200_thumb.jpg

Edited by trilobite guy

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Shamus,

That looks like a white faced hornet ( I calls 'em a Bald faced hornet,... mmm hmmm!)

They are mean nasty and just plain aggressive! I hate those guys!

They will sting you for no reason other than you are there, in their way.

They'll chase you a good distance, too.

Neat pic though,... cold weather must have them sluggish!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

well, i've encountered the mighty and mejestic squirl. not all that interesting <_< but either then that, theres this big bee. notice how i found it when i got back home :P

post-3994-035291700 1288211200_thumb.jpg

Dolichovespula maculata ("Bald-faced 'Hornet' [not a true hornet, but a yellowjacket]). Beautiful creatures, but dangerous to people who are allergic to their sting (as I am).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

They grow em big in Texas!post-417-1210892709_thumb.jpg The knife is 4 1/2 in. Seen while fossil hunting out west.

I want to see one of these :rolleyes::D

I want to see one of these :rolleyes::D

Just head out to Alpine Tx, Hook a left on hwy 118 then head about 75 or so miles down to Study Butte. Park car on side of road, walk out and look around the rocks. Best after a light rain and at night. At times I have seen plenty down there. There are some grasshoppers down there that look like they were painted by Picasso....

There also resides a centipede "Scolopendra heros" down there that gets very large"up to 9 inches" and I've heard that the bite is very painful. They are also beautifully colored down there and are a fast moving centipede..

If ya live in Tx and have never been down to the Chihuahuan Desert or the Trans Peco's.... It's a must see :)

Just head out to Alpine Tx, Hook a left on hwy 118 then head about 75 or so miles down to Study Butte. Park car on side of road, walk out and look around the rocks. Best after a light rain and at night. At times I have seen plenty down there. There are some grasshoppers down there that look like they were painted by Picasso....

There also resides a centipede "Scolopendra heros" down there that gets very large"up to 9 inches" and I've heard that the bite is very painful. They are also beautifully colored down there and are a fast moving centipede..

If ya live in Tx and have never been down to the Chihuahuan Desert or the Trans Peco's.... It's a must see :)

Thanks for the info. Next time I'm in Alpine I'll head to Study Butte and look for these along with agates and fossils. I was there last March and L O V E it. My kind of place.

Thanks for the info. Next time I'm in Alpine I'll head to Study Butte and look for these along with agates and fossils. I was there last March and L O V E it. My kind of place.

While you're there, go on in to Big Bend N.P.; camp at Grapevine Springs for a week or a month or a year or so...I never really left.

Shamus,

That looks like a white faced hornet ( I calls 'em a Bald faced hornet,... mmm hmmm!)

They are mean nasty and just plain aggressive! I hate those guys!

They will sting you for no reason other than you are there, in their way.

They'll chase you a good distance, too.

Neat pic though,... cold weather must have them sluggish!

Regards,

Surprised to hear that you had problems with them. I had a big nest near my home and what was great was the hornets drove away (killed?) the Yellow Jackets. And the YJs were a big problem nesting under the deck, landing on food and even drinking my beer! They have become much more numerous and are the only bug I will go out of my way to zap.

I've heard that all social wasps and bees can get a bit more aggressive in the fall as they fight to see who gets to winter-over in the nests.

Erich,

I did a bit of research after I posted, and was actually surprised to see many people found them inoffensive, or not aggresive at all.

There are no known nests in my yard, but I've had them come after me when I wasn't aware that they were around.

All of my experiences have been, if I see one, it's usually gona come after me.

And I would be willing to admit it's just me,... my friends, family, and acquaintances all agree. They are some bad tempered bugs.

Having been stung by both the Bald Faced hornets, and yellow jackets, I don't like either, but the yellow jacket stings were much less painful.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 year later...

I spent this past weekend around Mazon Creek and had a red fox watching me most of the afternoon. I think he thought I was going to find his prized fossil spot. :)

I spent this past weekend around Mazon Creek and had a red fox watching me most of the afternoon. I think he thought I was going to find his prized fossil spot. :)

Possibly you were probably close to a den. And the fox was unwilling to leave but also not ready to reveal the location.