Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

The crawleys are starting up again. I just had to take pictures of this guy Contia tenuis - Sharp-tailed Snake, the ones I commonly find.

post-1509-1241581638_thumb.jpg

Kevin Goto, Lafayette,CA.

yes, your honor. my client wishes to change his plea to a non sequitur! will the aminals be ok if you do that? and i can't help, because i have a bad back.

Saw these three and many more today.I guess the weather was perfect for Gar breeding season.You can see the two males hovering right behind Big Momma.There were Gar everywhere.In the picture under almost every ripple is 2-3 male Gar trying to court a female.Love is in the Air....Or I mean water :Dpost-417-1241649131_thumb.jpgpost-417-1241649167_thumb.jpg

Nice, catch any :-)

Ever look at Texas photo forum?

Nice, catch any :-)

Ever look at Texas photo forum?

No, didn't catch any of the Gar.I actually dangled my roostertail lure right in front of them! They had other things on their mind ;) I'll take a look at the photo album you mentioned.....thanks

Awesome pics everyone! I will add a modest one caught in the FL Keys (Marathon) of an osprey and his lunch....

post-356-1241655807_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The other day I had a turtle lay eggs right outside of the kitchen window. I'll follow it up with pictures if they hatch. B)B)B):D

post-23-1243975507_thumb.jpg

post-23-1243975559_thumb.jpg

post-23-1243975619_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Is it a wild one or your pet?

Hope the cats and other guys stay away.

Is it a wild one or your pet?

Hope the cats and other guys stay away.

It's a wild one, I'll put a screen around the nest hole and wait . B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!

Man love all the pics, guys--it's so nice to be around animal lovers.

Hey Auspex--since you seem to really know your hawks--I saw one on fossil hunt three weeks ago that I have never seen before. It was the size of a good-sized redtail, but it was black with a gray underside, and he had a red stripe on the side of his face. He definitely had the curved raptor beak. Any idea what I saw? This sighting took place slightly South of Austin Texas

Auspex--I just snooped around online and I think what I saw was a crested Caracara--is that possible here in texas?

Lotsa' Caracara there. Further south, in the lower valley, I've seen 100+ in one field where a chicken farmer dumped his waste.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, this is my first try at loading pictures. Hope it works. Stuff from my yard.

Love that Pilleated wood and Is that a rose breasted grosbeak, I cant tell.

Uhm......... about the second pict, please tell me that's not an impression of where a bird hit the window. If it is did it survive?

Wild Turkeys are super cool and you have lots. Your lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I've never seen one here in Texas before! He was cool. So are they more scavengers, or are they predators? He was on the side of the road so I figured it was eating carrion. Just got a glimpse of him as I was driving

Caracaras are in the family Falconidae, so they come from a long line of high-speed bird hunters, but they look a bit like vultures because scavenging carion what they do for a living: classic case of convergent evolution.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Caracaras are in the family Falconidae, so they come from a long line of high-speed bird hunters, but they look a bit like vultures because scavenging carion what they do for a living: classic case of convergent evolution.

I love Caracaras, I saw a pair in a field in Kaufman county which is east of Dallas about 50 miles.

I guess they range pretty far North then too!

Here are some nasty little critters encountered at the North Sulphur River in Texas.

Better check yourselves when returning home from there ;)

I'm definately going to from now on :o

Baby leeches... hmm, maybe I'll bring some home for a little bloodletting :rolleyes:

post-417-1244073693_thumb.jpgpost-417-1244073725_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

As a kid, we would swim in an old farm pond. After swimming, we would have to pull the leeches off of us.

Since no one objected, I merged the two topics.

i object! wait - um, what did you do?

with regard to your leechfests as a child - you do realize, don't you, that it's entirely possible to share too much information with others?

Sometimes while out diving dolphins will come to the boat (never while I am on the surface - dang). Anyhow here are just a few photos that I shot.

post-1309-1244090602_thumb.jpgpost-1309-1244090612_thumb.jpgpost-1309-1244090655_thumb.jpg

I have a bunch more dolphin and scenery photos here:

http://www.megateeth.com/photos.htm