Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

Here is a snake Roz literally almost stepped on!

post-11-055467100 1284774441_thumb.jpg post-11-085355100 1284774459_thumb.jpg

Also we were later chased out of thigh high water by two agressive water moccasins that came out of a fallen tree branches!

Edited by LanceHall

Saw a T-Rex attack this child! LOL Just kidding, my friend is a reptile cage distributor and the manufacturer of the cages makes these awesome T-Rex sculptures out of high density polyethelyne.

They are very detailed up close.post-417-1210898105_thumb.jpg

Oh, I want one of those! The dinosaur not the kid. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice pictures. I cant tell you how many Softshelled turtles I ate as a kid, toss in truck loads of Gophers back in the late 70s early 80s absolutely the best meat you will ever eat.... Of course today 2010 better not event touch a gopher and I think there is a limit on Softshells now. It was a youth experience, there were plenty and we had some serious cook outs on the creeks, nothing was wasted!

Today you would be in jail so fast, it would make Lindsey Lohans time seem like seconds!

Turtle meat is awesomely delicious!

Steve

My mom and Dad both ate soft shell turtle growing up. I can't imagine them tasting good since they smell so bad.

When you say gopher are you talking about the ground burrowing, mound building ones that are common in everyone's yard out here in the south or are you talking about something else?

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

When you say gopher are you talking about the ground burrowing, mound building ones that are common in everyone's yard out here in the south or are you talking about something else?

I assume he means the endangered Gopher Tortoise.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I assume he means the endangered Gopher Tortoise.

Oh, that makes much more sense. I was starting to think maybe I was going about trying to get rid of my gophers the wrong way.

Alfred North Whithead

Granny Clampet (of the Beverly Hillbillies) had a good recipe for "stuffer gopher"... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

This is so cool, a once in a life time experience. I was sitting in my Rhino which has a roof, I was sitting in the driver seat and my Border Collie was sitting in the passenger seat. I was talking to the ranchers son Cody who was sitting in a Polaris Ranger. The machines were off and we were talking when a sparrow came flying in through my front area where the windshield would be if I had one on. It was followed immediately by a Sparrow hawk. The sparrow flew down to the floorboard and the sparrow hawk was right in front of my face, Cody said he thought it landed on my steering wheel. My dog lunged for the Hawk, it flew off then the sparrow flew off. It all happened in about three seconds. Cody and I just looked at each other like we couldn't believe it happened. If we had not been there that sparrow would have been a goner. My dog was sure protecting me from that hawk.

The picture is of Koda up on the bed of my camper and I was laying on the couch.post-211-058456400 1284779045_thumb.jpg

Granny Clampet (of the Beverly Hillbillies) had a good recipe for "stuffer gopher"... :P

Yup, and don't forget her possum stew! :P

Alfred North Whithead

This is so cool, a once in a life time experience. I was sitting in my Rhino which has a roof, I was sitting in the driver seat and my Border Collie was sitting in the passenger seat. I was talking to the ranchers son Cody who was sitting in a Polaris Ranger. The machines were off and we were talking when a sparrow came flying in through my front area where the windshield would be if I had one on. It was followed immediately by a Sparrow hawk. The sparrow flew down to the floorboard and the sparrow hawk was right in front of my face, Cody said he thought it landed on my steering wheel. My dog lunged for the Hawk, it flew off then the sparrow flew off. It all happened in about three seconds. Cody and I just looked at each other like we couldn't believe it happened. If we had not been there that sparrow would have been a goner. My dog was sure protecting me from that hawk.

The picture is of Koda up on the bed of my camper and I was laying on the couch.post-211-058456400 1284779045_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you and Cody will pass that story to the next generation...moments like that are incredible.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Since my other main hobby is keeping and looking for snakes, this really

got my attention. I know enough to say that this snake is not typical or even indigenous, but

not enough to correctly ID it. I posted the picture on a forum specifically

for identifying snakes, and so far two people responded saying it could

be a strangely patterned Eastern Coral snake. Do you still have the snake?

If so, please be careful!

Thanks,

Eddie

If red touches black ur ok jack! if red touches yellow can kill a fellow! so he is a safe one just a copy cat

If red touches black ur ok jack! if red touches yellow can kill a fellow! so he is a safe one just a copy cat

Arizona Mt King. Very well known from that area. :D

Be true to the reality you create.

I didnt walk up on this , it crawled up on me while I was digging for some arrowheads,It was a little over 8ft I got it with my pony shovel.

DSC09484-1.jpg

faith is a journey not a destination

www.rockhobbies.com

I didnt walk up on this , it crawled up on me while I was digging for some arrowheads,It was a little over 8ft I got it with my pony shovel.

DSC09484-1.jpg

I hope you Bar-B-Qued that sucker

Found in a rainforest in Vietnam (no fossil hunting there it is a national park, but we hunted on that trip)

It is the biggest pill bug you ever saw (alive) kinda reminds me of an enrolled trilobite.

post-3451-038294200 1284870364_thumb.jpg

:) No pictures,but had a nerve shaking encounter in Crawford Nebraska one time while fossil hunting Arners Ranch.We had been hunting about half the morning and I found a nice area to hunt on the side of a hill.It was like a wall with a couple of cliffs.

After an hour or so I started feeling like someone was watching me.From time to time I would pause and look around to see if someone was playing around.[Our group was known for pranksters].A little later there was a tiny rock slide from above,I looked up to see a cougar laying on the cliff with his neck bent way over so he could see what I was doing.Needless to say he owned the fossils in the plaster jackets prepared.

Had a great day of hunting and enjoyed the wildlife as he never made a move and could have grabbed me at any time.Several on the hunt knew about him and called him Jack.They told me he likes people watching but never harms anyone. :D

Bear-dog.

Is there a problem with the orginal posted pictures?

A bunch of older pics went missing during a server change :(

Found in a rainforest in Vietnam (no fossil hunting there it is a national park, but we hunted on that trip)

It is the biggest pill bug you ever saw (alive) kinda reminds me of an enrolled trilobite.

Now that's really cool!

DSC09484-1.jpg

The record for an EDB is 8'1". Since a rattler over five feet long is such a rarity that the famous Herptoligist Ross Allen offered a $500 reward for any one found over that size (and there were no takers), I have to point the finger of doubt at that being over eight feet. You have a small boy holding it out in front of him which makes it look larger than it is. Also (I know from experience) that a tanned skin is actually longer than it was on the snake.

Personally, I would prefer to have seen the skin on a living snake.

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

ok, so like i snucked up on a blonde raccoon, but i got only a lousy picture, but it is sufficient to establish without question her/his/its blondeness.

towit:

post-488-078350900 1284908840_thumb.jpg