Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

Heres a couple Critters I've found :D

Did you notice the Wolf Spider that was sneaking up on the bigger snake?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Did you notice the Wolf Spider that was sneaking up on the bigger snake?

Eyes like a raptor Auspex!

Yeah the hognose wasn't playing friendly that day so i left him alone. But the rat snake was very timid.

What kind of snake is this ??? It was caught at Ft Myers Fla.

This is an aberrant coral snake confirmed by the University of Florida Museum and the Central Florida Zoo in Sanford. There are many who are skeptical that this is what it is, but it is indeed. The naysayers are also claiming it was photoshopped. The snake was captured in Palm City Florida by me on my back porch about two weeks ago. (and no I was not fossil hunting) It was extremely skinny. The Zoo confirmed it recently died. They are preserving it and it will be on display. An article will be written about it soon according to the Zoo director.

I find it interesting that the story has now turned to being discovered in Ft. Myers while fossil hunting. But thats the power of the internet!

Carmen Wallace

It was indeed fascinating and I am not a reptile aficionado. My husband picked it up with bare hands (yes he is very lucky) and we both thought after close examination that it might be a coral from the shape and mannerisms. He immediately took it to the Treasure Coast Wildlife Center down the road. They took it to UF. We live on 10 acres in Palm City surrounded by several hundred acres of undeveloped land. No one around here collects snakes that we know of, so it almost seems very unlikely that it was an escaped exotic snake of sorts, but who knows. I have really gotten a kick out of reading the blogs on the various forums though. I am really glad the Wildlife Center took it up to UF so it could be studied. They were pretty certain it wouldn't survive as they said Coral Snakes are very hard to keep alive in captivity.

Carmen

It was indeed a surprise to Jim today when he lifted a rock with a snake under it, he quickly dropped the rock and we came back in an hour to see what was under the rock on the glade.

A small Copperhead, note the green tip on the tale, he got a little crushed from the rock being dropped on him.

post-385-1214182549_thumb.jpg

A month ago while out collecting, a 12 year locus and a tulip poplar flower.

post-385-1214182641_thumb.jpgpost-385-1214182654_thumb.jpg

Saw a snake in the creek where I was hunting today. Went to Arkansas to hunt.

Not sure what kind it is...post-13-1214186047_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a couple of interesting shots from this past weekend. The first is of a Northeastern Tiger Beetle...these two are up to no good! And I'm not sure of the second ones ID. Whatever it was, it was living in the cliff face and wouldn't reveil the locations of any fossils. :(

post-281-1214791638_thumb.jpg

post-281-1214791742_thumb.jpg

Did that caterpillar actually have a burrow in the cliff? That's wierd...

(BTW: The Tiger Beetles are of the "happy-happy-joy-joy" race) ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We were out in our Alberta badlands last weekend. We walked about 5kms into a remote set of hoodoos. On the way out a small Rattler slithered across my buddy's foot. We both couldn't stop laughing and out came all our snake stories....including:

About a decade ago my wife and I were camping in the back country in Arizona. I exited the tent just as the sun was coming up and stepped on something 'odd'. I looked back and there was the biggest Diamondback Rattler I have ever seen. He was no worse for being stepped on and fortunately neither was I. He probably just emerged to warm up from the rays of the rising sun and wasn't yet all that swift. My wife took her camera and photographed the fellow. When we got the photos back (pre-digital), the distance she took the photo from made the rattler look the size of a worm and not the big guy he was.

This topic got me thinking. Ya'll are out there all the time and are therefore likely to run across snakes. There are misconceptions regarding some of them. Stop reading now if you don't need or want a poisonous snake mini-lecture. The "Palm City Coral Snake" picture illustrates a point. I don't personally think that's a domestic Coral snake, but there are MANY species of Micrurus and Florida is a hotbed of accidentally or intentionally imported critters. The point is that it no longer matters that you've memorized all dangerous snakes in your area and think all others are safe. You could find a cobra in your yard. Lots of very poisonous snakes don't look all that dangerous. Many don't have that menacing attack posture or angular heads and cat eyes. Also, coloration is more or less meaningless, as there are albinistic and melanistic versions of many snakes. There's are old rumors that coral snakes have to chew on you to inject venom and can't bite flat surfaces. I would not test any snake with highly neurotoxic venom. Speaking of which, some venomous bites of the neurotoxic variety may not be very painful and may therefore not result in immediate medical attention. People shouldn't wait until they get sleepy or have breathing difficulty because that can be too late. There are some very deadly snakes in certain places in the U.S. One such animal is the Mojave Rattlesnake, Crotalus Scutulatus. It doesn't have to be a large "Scute" to cause a fatal envenomation.

One thing about domestic poisonous snakes that I find interesting is that baby Copperheads and Cottonmouths look alike, and they both have yellow tail tips which they wiggle like worms to attract their prey. Cottonmouths may not be particularly deadly in most envenomations, but they pack a nasty combination of haemotoxins and enzymes that sort of pre-digests tissue and breaks down blood. This isn't a good thing for the bitee.

With all the heebie jeebies some people have about snakes - I'm different. I'm always worried about poison oak and poison ivy. And falling in rivers and off bluffs.

• 1 month later...

Saw this lil guy while hunting yesterday. It was not more

than a foot away before I saw him. He didn't move the

entire time. post-13-1218982512_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Nice, depending on where you observed that wonderful serpent it's either a Southern or a Broad Banded copperhead. It looks like a broad band to me though which would be Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus.

B

Thats awesome i love bears and the mink i would have taken home :P I bet he would make a good pet.

Guest Nicholas

Here on the island they tend to stay in the valleys but there are many places that you can watch them from your car, in safety. Personally I've been in the woods and have seen traces of bears everywhere and have not been panicked but any sign of a moose, I head to safer ground. The bears here have little or no experience with humans so they keep a distance and I don't think their has ever been an attack, but we have moose killings here yearly.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Great grizzly picture! We traveled up there in 2005 and were in awe whenever we saw them or their cousins, the black bears (we see them in the smokies, but the ones up there looked a lot bigger).