Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

:bow: :bow: :bow:

It is real. Very nice! Now I need to see a complete spiny Elvis.......

I know Mike and knew his dad even better. I was extremely saddened to hear the trilobite world lost such a champion like Gene!

And you topped me today on being a git. And yes - I guess sometimes a am a geek (please don't tell anyone). Oh and I don't know what more to say about ontogeny - I think the explanation in the Treatise by Brian Chatterton is pretty good - actually more than good - since he is the Godfather of ontogeny in trilobites!

Check a few papers on trilo ontogenies and check out meraspid pygidia. If the meraspid pygidia have more segments than pygidia of adults, it is sort of logical to assume that they went somewhere, and that somewhere is north. But you are correct - I would also not be convinced of this until I saw it. Some things are hard to "prove"

I just wanted to thank you guys for bringing up the name of Gene Thomas. I grew up in York Pennsylvania and came to know Gene and his son years later. I did a number of collecting trips up to Ontario with Gene during the last 15 years. He had a great eye in the field and was a great prepper. He helped get me started in prepping and I learned alot from him. I will miss those trips with him.

Crabfossil Steve

Lovely little knobby-headed encrinurid Kevin! :wub:

I can't remember what it was called before? :wacko:

Speaking of memory loss, what the heck was

that other bizarre trilobite from Canada with

the nickname "fizzy" or "phizzy"? Is this that? :blink:

That was Physemataspis

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That was Physemataspis

Thanks QuarryRat! :)

This thread is moving at light speed! :wacko:

Check back at the previous page ...

Caleb posted a beauty - P.coopi from Minnesota!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

My recent favourite bug...from a well known MINERAL quarry in Dundas,Ontario..I suspected there might be fossils in the lowest areas (exposing the upper Eramosa fm.). They said there were no good fossils there...they said it couldn't be done...heh,heh...love to prove 'em wrong!!

That is a real beauty ... I remember you showing off proudly that day.... and I saw it up close ..... thumbs up.

The Silurian is a great place to hunt! ... maybe some day a eurypterid might even be found in that quarry.....

You need to begin a new thread - Trilobite Freakshow. Maybe we'll see what interesting things come out of the woodwork. I want to see a trilobite at the end of it's crawling trace.........

Kevin

Here is your wish. A trilobite at the end of it trackway. The trilobite is incomplete only because the rock at the top broke. At least half of it is there.

post-391-0-57250600-1297440983_thumb.jpg

um....that is a spectacular fossil :wub: !

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Kevin

Here is your wish. A trilobite at the end of it trackway. The trilobite is incomplete only because the rock at the top broke. At least half of it is there.

I can't express in words how awesome that is.

Kevin

I was wondering how long it would be until you posted that

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thanks for posting another trilobite treat Crinus!  It doesn't look like any prep has been attempted?

I'm getting cross-eyed looking at it and I can't tell. Is there more bug there or just what can be seen?

Very Nice! Yes - I've noticed that specimen on your page before. Thanks for posting it here! It almost looks like the tracks begin with the trilobite coming out of a burrow? That would be controversial!

Hi Crinus!

I am not certain, but as far as I know there has never been a proven specimen yet. But yours is an interesting case - especially since it's from the Bobcaygeon Fm., where Cruziana is quite rare. The combined association of this fact plus the exoskeleton at the end makes for an interesting case. There is a new one from Chengjiang lagerstatten that they make an argument for (abstract is below - I haven't got the complete article). You should send some photos to Richard Fortey - I know he's done work on this with Adolph Seilacher - the god of ichnology.

A juvenile redlichiid trilobite caught on the move: Evidence from the Cambrian (Series 2) ChengJiang Lagerstätte, southwestern China

Qiang Ou*,1, Degan Shu*,1,2, Jian Han2, Xingliang Zhang2, Zhifei Zhang2 and Jianni Liu2

A trace fossil with its putative in situ maker, a redlichiid juvenile of Eoredlichia intermediaLu, 1940 from the lower Cambrian (Series 2) Chengjiang fauna, southwestern China, is reported here. Evidence for biogenetic linkage of the trail to the trilobite includes their close, integrated association, in situ preservation, and consistent dimensions. Analysis from Scanning Electron Microscopy further strengthens this argument. Preservation mechanism and fidelity loss in the trail are considered. In light of functional morphology, a nektonic-benthic transition in modes of life is inferred for meraspides of Eoredlichia.

Thanks QuarryRat! :)

This thread is moving at light speed! :wacko:

Check back at the previous page ...

Caleb posted a beauty - P.coopi from Minnesota!

The Physemataspis found here is significantly different from P. coopi..sadly, the only known complete specimen is now long gone..sold and re-sold (not be me in either case)

On 2/11/2011 at 12:53 PM, Quarryrat said:

The Physemataspis found here is significantly different from P. coopi..sadly, the only known complete specimen is now long gone..sold and re-sold (not be me in either case)

Yes, there has been a recent sighting. He regrets having traded it! 

Caleb's bug has the odd protuberances not evidenced in the other. 

If I had to choose one it would have to be Caleb's from Minnesota. 

Thanks for posting another trilobite treat Crinus! :) It doesn't look like any prep has been attempted?

I'm getting cross-eyed looking at it and I can't tell. :blink: Is there more bug there or just what can be seen?

There has been no prep done. The break is right at the end of the trilobite that you see. If I took a pic from the front you would see the break clearly.

crinus

Hi Crinus!

I am not certain, but as far as I know there has never been a proven specimen yet. But yours is an interesting case - especially since it's from the Bobcaygeon Fm., where Cruziana is quite rare. The combined association of this fact plus the exoskeleton at the end makes for an interesting case. There is a new one from Chengjiang lagerstatten that they make an argument for (abstract is below - I haven't got the complete article). You should send some photos to Richard Fortey - I know he's done work on this with Adolph Seilacher - the god of ichnology.

A juvenile redlichiid trilobite caught on the move: Evidence from the Cambrian (Series 2) ChengJiang Lagerstätte, southwestern China

Qiang Ou*,1, Degan Shu*,1,2, Jian Han2, Xingliang Zhang2, Zhifei Zhang2 and Jianni Liu2

A trace fossil with its putative in situ maker, a redlichiid juvenile of Eoredlichia intermediaLu, 1940 from the lower Cambrian (Series 2) Chengjiang fauna, southwestern China, is reported here. Evidence for biogenetic linkage of the trail to the trilobite includes their close, integrated association, in situ preservation, and consistent dimensions. Analysis from Scanning Electron Microscopy further strengthens this argument. Preservation mechanism and fidelity loss in the trail are considered. In light of functional morphology, a nektonic-benthic transition in modes of life is inferred for meraspides of Eoredlichia.

Kevin

I will google Richard Fortey and see if I can get an email address and send him some pics. Unless you have one and want to send it to me.

crinus

Hi Crinus, I don't have Dr. Fortey's address ofhand, but it should be easy to find. He is at the British Museum and is the #1 trilobite guy in the world. I only thought of him, because he did work with Seilacher. I am not sure if Adolf Seilacher is still around, but he is certainly the fellow that would know for sure. He was at Tubingen last time I knew. He is also the world authority on Cruziana......

Kevin

I will google Richard Fortey and see if I can get an email address and send him some pics. Unless you have one and want to send it to me.

crinus

Hey crinus,

just sent you a PM with Dr. Fortey's email address!

Dan

Finally getting around to adding my faves. The first trilobite I ever found was the Isotelus. The condition is nothing special, but the size is. Also, the beating I took getting it out of the quarry will forever make it special. For those who know the site, it was on top of a blast pile in the bottom pit at Carden. This was my 2nd or 3rd ever fossil trip, so I had NO equipment -no saw, no cart, just me, a hammer & chisel and a bucket. What is left is only about 1/3 of the original rock I lugged out. I fell on the pile, banged up my legs and back, and am quite sure I broke a bone in my thumb. Still, after about 3 hours, I had the thing back to my truck. Very shortly after, I invested in the necessary tools.

Also high on my list is my Sceptaspis (December 2010's FOTM). I didn't think too much of it when I found it, other than it looked like it would be a good example, and one I didn't have. After prepping (by Trilobitologist), that's when I started really appreciating it. Both Geodigger, who literally wrote the book on Ontario ordovician fossils, and Trilobitologist both said it's one of the finest they've seen. Crinus, who has been collecting in my area for decades, doesn't have one in his impressive collection either. To quote midwestpaleo.com, "This unique Pterygometopid is so rarely found complete and inflated that even a proper description went uncompleted for almost 75 years." How could you not love that!

post-77-0-17489200-1297614536_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-67314000-1297614555_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Finally getting around to adding my faves. The first trilobite I ever found was the Isotelus. The condition is nothing special, but the size is. Also, the beating I took getting it out of the quarry will forever make it special. For those who know the site, it was on top of a blast pile in the bottom pit at Carden. This was my 2nd or 3rd ever fossil trip, so I had NO equipment -no saw, no cart, just me, a hammer & chisel and a bucket. What is left is only about 1/3 of the original rock I lugged out. I fell on the pile, banged up my legs and back, and am quite sure I broke a bone in my thumb. Still, after about 3 hours, I had the thing back to my truck. Very shortly after, I invested in the necessary tools.

Also high on my list is my Sceptaspis (December 2010's FOTM). I didn't think too much of it when I found it, other than it looked like it would be a good example, and one I didn't have. After prepping (by Trilobitologist), that's when I started really appreciating it. Both Geodigger, who literally wrote the book on Ontario ordovician fossils, and Trilobitologist both said it's one of the finest they've seen. Crinus, who has been collecting in my area for decades, doesn't have one in his impressive collection either. To quote midwestpaleo.com, "This unique Pterygometopid is so rarely found complete and inflated that even a proper description went uncompleted for almost 75 years." How could you not love that!

Both bugs are spectacular and the Sceptaspis is worthy of TRILOBITE OF THE YEAR !! B)

We need to get you a TOTY badge for your profile page. Thanks for posting them !! :thumbsu:

This special trilobite is significant ...... The hobby started with this first find 9" Isotelus molt Ordovician.... I was curious about a quarry at local quarry and one day visited to get some garden rocks and ended up with a trilobite instead.... and forgot all about garden rocks in excitement of the moment...

post-2446-0-23231300-1297634059_thumb.jpg

This special trilobite is significant ...... The hobby started with this first find 9" Isotelus molt Ordovician.... I was curious about a quarry at local quarry and one day visited to get some garden rocks and ended up with a trilobite instead.... and forgot all about garden rocks in excitement of the moment...

Yours is one of the most inspirational First Fossil stories I've heard; never tire of hearing it! :)

Yours is one of the most inspirational First Fossil stories I've heard; never tire of hearing it! :)

Thanks Auspex!

PL