Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

I would love to be able to ID that positively, but unfortunately my knowledge is limited to the Ordovician fauna. I did however come across this paper looking for an answer. "New and old Silurian Trilobites from Southeastern Wisconsin, with Notes on the Genera of the Illaenidae". From this, I would venture a guess that it's Bumastus cuniculus (Hall). Perhaps by studying the specimen you have with the descriptions of Bumastoides in this paper you will be able to find a positive ID.

Wow Caleb, that is a really awesome bulletin. Another great pdf to add to the files ... Thank You !! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

piranha , no shark teeth here TRILOBITE!!

Spanish trilobite of my small collection -_-

Salterocoryphe salteri( Rouault, 1851) Ordovician , landeilian ,Ciudad real size : 3cm

post-341-0-48982800-1300301349_thumb.jpg

and Colpocoryphe rouaulti(Henry,1956 ) " " " " size : 5cm and 3,5 cm

post-341-0-12584100-1300301489_thumb.jpg

Here is mine. I posted it a long time ago, but I've been working on it recently. Still have more prep to go, but at least you can see more of it now. It has a few blemishes, but I still like it (because I found it). It is Ordovician from central Kentucky. I was told it was Gravicalymene.

post-534-0-20802800-1300327558_thumb.jpg

The Salterocoryphe is simply spectacular !! 

The "Gravi" has more of a "Flexi" look to me. 

TOP calymenids Alopias and Mike, Thanks !! 

Nice bug MikeD and congrats on the find. Whether it is a Gravi or Flexi is hard to tell from this photo... it's hard to tell in real life too. The subtle difference between the Gravi and Flexi exists mainly in the glabella. A top down photo of the cephalon would help in knowing for sure that this is a Gavicalymene. Here is a brief paper on distinguishing the differences between the different Flexi species and the Gravicalymene. Flexicalymene Species Determination

Another trilobite for PzF's TOP thread:

Pseudogygites latimarginatus 2-1/2"

Upper Ordovician - Lower Whitby Fm

Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

post-4301-0-61902200-1300643914_thumb.jpg

Another trilobite for PzF's TOP thread:

Pseudogygites latimarginatus 2-1/2"

Upper Ordovician - Lower Whitby Fm

Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

post-4301-0-61902200-1300643914_thumb.jpg

Nice plate! I think I have a bigger plate of those lying around... I will have to look when I get back home.

-PzF

Another Amazingly Awesome Arthropod Alopias ~

And An Additional Asaphiscus Assemblage-Association Assortment !! 

The headless bug with encrusting pyrite crystals would have been close to a 3 incher !! 

Asaphiscus wheeleri (2) 2-1/4"

Elrathia kingi - meraspid 1cm

Middle Cambrian - Wheeler Fm

Millard County, Utah

post-4301-0-39293700-1301259431_thumb.jpg

Well I just got 2 trilobites back from our prep guy(Gerald Kloc) at the MAPS fossil show and I just HAVE to post them in this topic. The first is a Cybeloides iowensis(4.75cm) from Northeast Iowa and the second is a very nice Flexacalymene sp.(5.0cm) from Southeast MN. Both bugs are from the Maquoketa formation.

post-3840-0-22621600-1301863984_thumb.jpg

post-3840-0-77255000-1301864003_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-37665900-1301864015_thumb.jpg

This Russian bug has long graceful genal spines.

In recent years it has been called Prochasmops.

Verifying validity for that name appears dubious.

Chasmops praecurrens 2-1/4"

Middle Ordovician - Vilpovitsy Quarry

Asery Formation, St Petersburg, Russia

post-4301-0-87041300-1302373617_thumb.jpg

haha im kind of late but...

i personally like moroccan trilobites or big, bulky, detailed, intimidating and rare trilobites. haha pretty vague but i mean it :P

my trilo collection is still under construction but i'm sure i won't get enough! ^_^ so here's one to start off with.

Cambropallas telesto, 22 cm body with counterpart, Morocco

aye... it's a pretty bad pic... :( but pictures won't ever show true beauty :P

post-4996-0-22073200-1303124954_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossil maniac

Hi Henry,

Here are the two stratigraphic sequences where this trilobite is recorded from Morocco. Without an accurate account of collection data it is difficult to say which one although there are only two to choose from. Each of these can fit on a label followed by a (?). At a minimum you know it can only be one or the other and much more preferable than "Found in Morocco".

Middle Cambrian - Tissafinian (lower)

Tata Group - Asrir Tazlaft Formation

Lower Cambrian - Banian (upper)

Tata Group - Issafen Formation

Thanks for posting a robust and superb Cambropallas telesto! ;)

Hi Henry,

Here are the two stratigraphic sequences where this trilobite is recorded from Morocco. Without an accurate account of collection data it is difficult to say which one although there are only two to choose from. Each of these can fit on a label followed by a (?). At a minimum you know it can only be one or the other and much more preferable than "Found in Morocco".

Middle Cambrian - Tissafinian (lower)

Tata Group - Asrir Tazlaft Formation

Lower Cambrian - Banian (upper)

Tata Group - Issafen Formation

Thanks for posting a robust and superb Cambropallas telesto! ;)

i think it's from asrir tazlaft formation. and haha, sorry :P there just isn't space for detailed information. i tend to write them in the description space of the gallery.

and thanks scott ^_^ i think this cambro was the first trilo in my collection B)

awesome, another Harpes!!!!

I have two favorites to present, I recently became the proud recipient of my first BC trilobites, courtesy of palaeopix!~Thank You Dan, they are sublime and here's their moment...

The first is a Labiostria westropi, and is very remarkable in its front and back preservation. The second is a Wujiajiania sutherlandi. Both hail from the Upper Cambrian McKay Group in South Eastern BC!:)

post-4577-0-43163100-1303327386_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-52541500-1303327402_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another bizarre and beautiful cheirurine trilobite. It is a Crotalocephalus sp. from Morocco. There are approximately a dozen valid species described from six different formations that span the early Pragian to early Eifelian stages of the Devonian (lower-middle). Typically the commercial sellers are calling these specimens Crotalocephalus gibbus although I am hesitant to go along with that as I have no confidence of the actual formation it was collected from and even less confidence in the data that generally accompanies most of the Moroccan material found on the internet.

A nifty and intricate bug- Enjoy! 

Crotalocephalina sp. - 2.75"

post-4301-0-90875400-1304880896_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

this would possibly be my favorite trilobite of all time. this stygnid trilobite from alnif, morocco has strange stripes across the body. if it was unrolled, then it would possibly measure 2.8". it's a free standing corynexochiid trilobite i received a few days ago. (most of you would know by now, i guess...)

Paralejurus hamlagdadicus, 2.75" , Devonian, Alnif Morocco

post-4996-0-93976700-1306412242_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

One other interesting trilobite from my Collection. I hope you guys are not tired of soft-body trilobites.

This is an interesting laterally preserved Triarthrus with what may be a 'bite' out of the cheek. Body length just over 1 cm. Great contrast overall.

cheers,

-PzF

You have been holding out on us PzF.... this is perhaps the most incredible Triarthrus!

The carapace is eerily "floating" above the antennae and appendages- it is ALIVE !! :o:P

One other interesting trilobite from my Collection. I hope you guys are not tired of soft-body trilobites.

This is an interesting laterally preserved Triarthrus with what may be a 'bite' out of the cheek. Body length just over 1 cm. Great contrast overall.

cheers,

-PzF

That is incredible, Pzf!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ