Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

Here are some view of one of my favorite russian carboniferous bugs a

One of my favorites is this multiple slab of Paladin transilis

NOTE : I had to change ID and info on the Russian bugs below, have info as best known on what is actually poorly described RussianCarboniferousmaterial which needs morework. Maybe another retirement project for me

Paladin transilis Weber 1933 (by most)

NOTE: Also called Ditomopyge productus so there

needs to be more research on these:

LateCarboniferous, Moscovian stage,

Myachkovian horizon

Zhirnovsk, Volgograd region., Russia

From one of the old quarries

Edited by trilobiteruss

And for today one more, a lower Miss bug from Lodgepole Lmst in Idaho on Montana border. New species and maybe genus (undescribed) but related to Australosutura

Lately fossils are attracted to me like a magnet. It has been years since I have had the opportunity to add a complete trilobite to my collection. After reaching into double digits my interests naturally went in other directions. That all changed this week with two great friends gifting me spectacular bugs. I posted recently about Carmine's Greenops gift. Then it occurred to me that he did not even consider entering it for July FOTM. I have to confess that hit me like a ton of bricks. His generosity speaks volumes that he would insist on giving me his very best-ever collected trilobite that he found and gave away without one single thought for himself or reward. That is what makes Carmine an extraordinary person really.

Almost as incredible is another friend that I volunteer with at UO. Yesterday he brought a gift from his recent visit back to New York. I knew a few weeks ago that he was bringing me a trilobite but I just assumed yet another phacops. When this classic Dipleura emerged from his pocket I think my brain must have short-circuited momentarily. This great fossil has a storied history as well. It belonged to the famous anthropologist and Zuni Indian expert Frank Hamilton Cushing who collected it circa 1880 in New York. My friend was involved in the estate auction in 1968 and was given this trilobite and a few Zuni artifacts as a reward for services rendered. It sat in his daughter's attic for the last 20 years and is now happily among many friends in this thread and my collection. There have been a few Dipleura trilobites that have managed to elude me over the years. This one just jumped over the side of the boat without even casting a line or baiting a hook. This is certainly a lucky run of fossils lately.

Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good. Enjoy! :D

Dipleura dekayi 5.5"

Middle Devonian

New York, USA

post-4301-0-38230500-1311210029_thumb.jpg

That is a beautiful specimen, neat story also1

russ

And to add to the soft parts photos here is one I traded for recently from the famous New York site. Supposedly one of best cephalic regions on these Triatharus bugs!!! It is a centerpiece now in my collection!

All the bugs you've posted are breathtaking, and this one is astonishing!

I would be so proud to have this in my cabinet...congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

And to add to the soft parts photos here is one I traded for recently from the famous New York site. Supposedly one of best cephalic regions on these Triatharus bugs!!! It is a centerpiece now in my collection!

What a beauty!

Was this trilobite collected by Markus Martin?

Edited by pleecan

russ ,

you do have an impressive collection ; I like the russian trilobites , very rare !

thanks for sharing ;)

russ ,

you do have an impressive collection ; I like the russian trilobites , very rare !

thanks for sharing ;)

You are welcome, Russian bugs are indeed cool. I have a few of those also!

russ

What a beauty!

Was this trilobite collected by Markus Martin?

Yes it was. Markus sold it to my business partner Ed Staver in a business we have called Paleopix (pale-pix.net website). Ed recently traded this to me for my dinosaur collection (along with other trilobite trades) so it has a real special place now in my collection! Markus did excellent work on these small bugs! this one is very unique with such preservation of head area!

Hi all,

this is my new acquisition of Millau fossil show ;

very perfect Phacops rana enroulled from Morocco :wub:

enjoy !!!

post-341-0-44108900-1311849627_thumb.jpg post-341-0-00983600-1311849666_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

this is my new acquisition of Millau fossil show ;

very perfect Phacops rana enroulled from Morocco :wub:

enjoy !!!

post-341-0-44108900-1311849627_thumb.jpg post-341-0-00983600-1311849666_thumb.jpg

Such detail! It's a gem :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Another gem Alopias! Many of the phacopids have been shuffled into new genera. This one has been reassigned as Barrandeops cf. granulops ((Chatterton, Fortey, et al., 2006). Another Moroccan trilobite recently described by Richard Fortey is the giant Dikelokephalina brenchleyi.

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

piranha ,

thanks for the pdf ;)

here other picture of Barrandeops cf granulops :D

post-341-0-49884000-1311882869_thumb.jpg

and small trilobite semi rolled

post-341-0-02392600-1311882959_thumb.jpg

Alopias, yours is particularly marvelous ! :goodjob:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

One of my all-time favorite trilobites is just a partial specimen. That is the mark of an extraordinary fossil. The remarkable feature preserved here is the largest schizochroal eye known in any described trilobite. Having more than 900 lenses arranged in about 50 vertical files of up to 22 lenses each. Another striking feature for which this genus is named are the numerous openings or fenestrae in the pleural regions of the post-cephalic exoskeleton. One theory is the fenestrae were utilized as secondary respiratory structures for the limbs during enrollment. Check the attached pdf which has a superb reconstruction of this magnificent trilobite. The cephalon chunk I posted is just over 2 inches and would have put this individual at approximately 6 inches in length. I purchased this bug for $20 in 1998 at the Denver Fossil Show. A lucky find rummaging through the scraps of a seller from South America. I'm still waiting for another piece of one to go with it.

Might be a very long wait...... :unsure::blink::P

Fenestraspis amauta

Lower Devonian (Pragian–Emsian)

Belén Formation - Chacoma, Bolivia

post-4301-0-32684200-1312058299_thumb.jpg

One of my all-time favorite trilobites is just a partial specimen. That is the mark of an extraordinary fossil. The remarkable feature preserved here is the largest schizochroal eye known in any described trilobite. Having more than 900 lenses arranged in about 50 vertical files of up to 22 lenses each. Another striking feature for which this genus is named are the numerous openings or fenestrae in the pleural regions of the post-cephalic exoskeleton. One theory is the fenestrae were utilized as secondary respiratory structures for the limbs during enrollment. Check the attached pdf which has a superb reconstruction of this magnificent trilobite. The cephalon chunk I posted is just over 2 inches and would have put this individual at approximately 6 inches in length. I purchased this bug for $20 in 1998 at the Denver Fossil Show. A lucky find rummaging through the scraps of a seller from South America. I'm still waiting for another piece of one to go with it.

Fenestraspis amauta

very nice!! :D love it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Fenestraspis amauta

I love the eyes on that one, very cool, til you had posted I forgot about these from South America, they have some cool bugs there also!

russ

Hello All,

I noticed that lots of forum members were adding trilobites on separate topics. I thought it would be fun to put all our favorite trilos on one page!

I will start with one of my favorite soft-body trilobites.

This is a ventral Triarthrus eatoni that is 3.2 cm long from NY.

-PzF

post-504-0-69859900-1296170529_thumb.jpg

Is that neat trilobite from Markus Martin?

This is one of my favorite finds from last year. It's an extremely rare Amphilichas bicornis from the Maquoketa formation of Southeast MN. It was found in two pieces, exoskeleton on one half and mould on the other. Unfortunately some of the exoskeleton had weathered away, but Gerry Kloc did a fantastic prep job.

post-3840-0-89838300-1313031203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb

Here is my personal favorite, the Cybeloides iowensis from the Maquoketa formation of Northeast Iowa. After finding this bug, I was hooked on trilobites. All the spines are natural to this bug, there is no restoration. This specimen was prepped by Gerald Kloc and photographed by T.E. Whiteley

post-3840-0-73298600-1296481684_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-85134500-1296481697_thumb.jpg

My other favorite is the Gabriceraurus sp. from the Platteville formation of Western Wisconsin. This specimen was found ventral and was flipped during prep. This specimen was also prepped by Gerald Kloc and photographed by T.E. Whiteley.

post-3840-0-79014800-1296481974_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-33893400-1296481984_thumb.jpg

I would love to have a Cybeloides like that, no wonder you got the disease biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Gerry does great work. He was looking over Hassane's Drotops (that I posted here) when I had it in my room at MAPS and he complimented the quality of the bug and job so it made me feel happy about getting it. I think your table was just down from where Hassane had his stuff this year, we had tried to get his table next to ours but too late but hope to do so this next spring.

russ

russ ,

thanks for sharing ;)

So what kind of trilobites do you collect? Just Russian or others?

All the bugs you've posted are breathtaking, and this one is astonishing!

I would be so proud to have this in my cabinet...congratulations!

I was fortunate to be able to trade my friend for this one. It is one of the special ones that Markus found and prepped and it does have a special place in my collection. I even have a lighted LED magnifier in front of this little bug so I can look at it from time to time, it actually sits between the Drotops and Erbenochile (my other two recent prizes)!!!

Thanks, I have also enjoyed all the other bugs folks are showing here. Love them trilobites!!!!

russ

Time to add a few more that I have photos of. Others will have to have photos. I need to find a good macro lense (these were taken by others) for some of my favorite bugs...

First a nice Psychopyge I purchased:

Then I got this Dipluera for a real good price one year after spent time looking for whole ones in NY:

a nice Ceratonurus prepped by none other than my friend Bob Carrol! Nice bug one of my favorite Oklahoma ones:

A couple more of my carboniferous bugs (that I have photos of)

A nice Webrides multiple slab

And this Carboniferous bug from Russia:

NOTE : I had to change ID and info on the two Russian bugs below, have info as best known on what is actually poorly described Russian Carboniferous material which needs more work. Maybe another retirement project for me :blink:

One of my favorites is this multiple slab of Paladin transilis

Paladin transilis Weber 1933 (by some)

NOTE: Also called Ditomopyge productus

LateCarboniferous, Moscovian stage,

Myachkovian horizon

Wesphalian D ( Middle Pennsylvanian)

Moscow region, the village Rusavkino, Russia

Finally a nice New Mexico Carboniferous Pudoproetus from old collection acquired last year

Enough now, may have to now look at what other bugs might be worth posting here...time for this old fossil to hit hay though

Edited by trilobiteruss

Awesome trilobites Caleb and Russ! I remember when that Psychopyge was offered for sale. Very cool how the right side pygidial spines are broken and remain in situ on the matrix. Absolutely killer bug. Thanks again for posting! :)B):)

Wow, that Ceratonurus makes me dizzy. I was fascinated to read about the spines that aren't able to be prepped on those and Dicranurus trilobites. It would be interesting to see them when they were alive.

Awesome trilobites Caleb and Russ! I remember when that Psychopyge was offered for sale. Very cool how the right side pygidial spines are broken and remain in situ on the matrix. Absolutely killer bug. Thanks again for posting! :)B):)

Thanks. I liked that when I saw it on extinctions site and it was such a nicely prepped bug and all, excellent shell preservation and work by Hess and co.

Love sharing my favorite bugs, you are most welcome!

russ