Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

I'm with Don and Scott!

I think you have a pretty nice example of Pseudogygites there Eric!!!!!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

very cool thomas!! ^_^ although the glabella is hard to make out, the eyes and the rest are great. the crack running through the cephalon shows that it is authentic. great trilo!! :D

very cool thomas!! ^_^ although the glabella is hard to make out, the eyes and the rest are great. the crack running through the cephalon shows that it is authentic. great trilo!! :D

Thanks! :) I have 2 real now. :D

Hoikaspis matacences

Mid Ordovician

San Lucas Ocuri Formation

Chuquisaca Provence, Bolivia

post-6808-0-73127000-1323947794_thumb.jpg

This is my favorite non-local trilobite. It is huge, and the imperfections give it character.

Context is critical.

Oops... sorry Eric as there was a lot going on with the sudden flurry of trilobites posted by Russ. Although you have the basic information, the only thing I would have suggested is picking up a copy of the ROM's classic monograph:

The Ordovician Trilobite Pseudogygites Kobayashi in Eastern and Arctic North America

Royal Ontario Museum Publications in Life Sciences (November 2, 1979) Rolf Ludvigsen

Happily this long out of print publication was finally digitized by the ROM at the internet archive in September 2011.

:DPDF LINK B)

Thanks for the link Scott!

Peter

Here is my smallest Trilo, it's so cute! Just under 3mm

Cool, that probably was one of the first two trilobites I ever had when I started collecting as a kid. Those little guys are neat!

My other cambro trilobite, 23cm long! This one is complete, unlike the other one.

That is a good one, maybe one of best I have seen, looks largely unprepped and original from split, many are doctored but yours looks great. Good find on your part, thanks for sharing with all of us!

Cool, that probably was one of the first two trilobites I ever had when I started collecting as a kid. Those little guys are neat!

Same, most beautiful in my collection present.

That is a good one, maybe one of best I have seen, looks largely unprepped and original from split, many are doctored but yours looks great. Good find on your part, thanks for sharing with all of us!

Thanks, sadly this one is never seen, it is on the back of the matrix of my other cambro which is a shame.

Edited by Odinofthenorth

I may go see Mr. Carroll before he heads to Arizona. Hopefully, I will have a few worthy specimens for this thread.

I am hoping he will put together a few for me sort of like a chef's choice menu. I would never be able to decide on my own.

Are you sure Eric? It doesn't look like an internal mold to me, but you have the actual specimen and I just have your photos to go by. Your specimen seems pretty decent to me.

That whole Pseudogygites latimarginatus name still bugs me. P. canadensis was based on an exquisite complete specimen, and P. latimarginatus was based on a poor pygydium that wasn't even recognized as a Pseudogygites for many years. Sometimes the law of priority sucks.

Don

The Pseudos typically have a very thin layer of light colored integument. You can see a few flakes here and there on Eric's example.

Attached are a few specimens with most of the integument (shell) still intact.

I'm with Don and Scott!

I think you have a pretty nice example of Pseudogygites there Eric!!!!!

Dan

Thanks all, So I guess I was right, that the thin shell is mostly missing? The 'flakes' seem to go down between the segments. I don't know how common this is but I guess it would be pretty hard to find a specimen like your example, Scott!

Don, which name is the correct name? Is P. canadensis valid or are they all latimarginatus based on the law of priority?

Eric

Hi Eric,

I'm afraid all the Ontario ones are P. latimarginatus. P. canadensis is an invalid name, as it is a junior synonym of P. latimarginatus.

I've seen slabs with multiple Pseudogygites, including one with 8 complete specimens, from construction sites in Ottawa. Not that I ever found such a specimen, though, but I do have a couple of single specimens. I also have a pygidium that is 9 cm long, what a monster that would have been if it was complete.

Don

OK, gotcha, you think it would be better to do the description based on the better specimen. I know what you mean; there was a snail from here called Fimbrivasum somethingorother (I dont have the paper handy, you may know of it) described about 10 yrs ago that was based on crummy specimens, but better ones have been found since and I think I have one of them, and it would be nice to redo it but I guess that's not how science works.

To keep it about trilos, here's another one to show - again it may not be that spectacular compared to what's been shown but, as disjointed as it is, it's the best example I have of Olenellus from the Eager Fm near Cranbrook BC. (Does anyone know the species name or any other info on these?) Sorry for my lack of photo skills.

post-4372-0-28820700-1324857666_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian

• 2 weeks later...

Ameura missouriensis

Winterset Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City, Missouri

post-6808-0-84646900-1324290215_thumb.jpg

It's hard to pick a favorite, but this one is right up there.

Context is critical.

I can

Ameura missouriensis

Kansas City, Missouri

I can see why, nice one!

Nice fossil. By the way, what are the dark dots on the matrix? Are they fossils?

Heres mine

Brachyaspidion microps

Wow, that is so beautiful! I love the color, it's like a porcelain artwork!

Ameura missouriensis

Kansas City, Missouri