Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

Ooh, Henry, that first Damesella looks like someone took a wire brush to it! Maybe the 2nd one hasn't been so deeply scarred that it will look nice with the proper techniques applied. Interesting specimens anyway, congrats... I want one! :drool:

Ooh, Henry, that first Damesella looks like someone took a wire brush to it! Maybe the 2nd one hasn't been so deeply scarred that it will look nice with the proper techniques applied. Interesting specimens anyway, congrats... I want one! :drool:

Yep :( the first one is scarred with a wire brush, as you said, but the second one has just been soaked in vinegar... but then again it looks like the right genal spine took a hit from a chisel. -_- Well, at least it can still be further prepped :)

Is there any way to remove the effects of a wire brush? Can anything be done to make the markings less obvious? Because besides those marks the trilobite is a pretty one ^_^

Okay, maybe I was wrong... I left this guy out, and he is also one of my most prideful newbies, so now there's four. :)

Kaotaia magnum, M-L Cambrian, ???, Guizhou, China

post-4996-0-19430200-1332645659_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-44366700-1332644958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sinopaleus

Is there any way to remove the effects of a wire brush? Can anything be done to make the markings less obvious? Because besides those marks the trilobite is a pretty one ^_^

I'm not sure.. the only thing I can think of is the techniques the pros use like the air abrasive - they are expensive but the only thing I have seen work wonders. I'm sure it would tidy up the matrix around the trilo but not sure how much use it would be on the trilo itself unless there is still some matrix on it. Maybe vinegar or similar acid if the matrix is a limestoney material but the bug isn't?

You're getting quite the collection there, nice variety. Keep them coming. eat%20popcorn.gif

Here is a Ceraurus aff. pleurexanthemus from the Galena Formation of Southeast Minnesota. The "aff." stands for affinity meaning that it closely resembles the C. pleurexanthemus but may(or may not) be a different species pending further research. This specimen was prepared by Gerry Kloc.

Ceraurus aff. pleurexanthemus

Galena Formation (Prosser Member)

Ordovician (Shermanian)

Southeast Minnesota

post-3840-0-09723100-1332770553_thumb.jpg

Attached is another possible look-alike from the Carden Quarry / Bobcaygeon Fm: Ceraurus globulobatus

In any event a spectacular trilobite. Congrats Caleb 

post-4301-0-87657700-1332798395_thumb.jpg

RE: Ceraurus and related trilobites from the Middle Ordovician Bobcaygeon Fm. of South-Central Ontario, Canada

Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, vol. 26, issue 6, pp. 1203-1219 (1989) Author: William A. Hessin

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks! I believe there is a paper in the works/almost done that will make some sense out of the Midwest Ceraurus/Gabriceraurus. I am very much looking forward to the publication of that paper. I should find out more about it at MAPS.

Here is the Dolichoharpes reticulata I posted earlier in the post all prepped out. Prep work was done by Gerry Kloc and it was photographed by Tom Whiteley.

My initial find and photograph of the specimen unprepped(just prepped enough to show it was complete then given to the pro).

post-3840-0-28660700-1333254187_thumb.jpg

Final prep by Gerry Kloc and photograph by Tom Whiteley:

post-3840-0-20126900-1333254151_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb

This very complete and well preserved Eldredgeops rana (1.9") is called The Becca Bug. It was found on my daughter Rebeccas birthday (11/05/2008) in Livingston County, New York. Middle Devonian, Moscow formation, Windom Shale.

Its not a rare trilobite but its my favorite in the collection.

There are no repairs or restoration!

mikey

post-7129-0-72516900-1333289416_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

MM, Its a beautiful bug in pristine shape. The New York Rana's from the Windom shale just prep out so beatifully. Still looking for a prone, pristine over 2 inches. Maybe this summer...... From the pictures you have been posting you my friend have had a very good year.......

Here is the Dolichoharpes reticulata I posted earlier in the post all prepped out. Prep work was done by Gerry Kloc and it was photographed by Tom Whiteley.

My initial find and photograph of the specimen unprepped(just prepped enough to show it was complete then given to the pro).

post-2629-0-24504200-1333557249_thumb.jpg

Final prep by Gerry Kloc and photograph by Tom Whiteley:

post-2629-0-24814100-1333557256_thumb.jpg

post-2629-0-24504200-1333557249_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-24814100-1333557256_thumb.jpg

OMG,

it turned out awesome Caleb!!!!!

I've been waiting to see how this bug would look and I'm blown away!

Excuse me now as I wipe the drool from my chin!

Dan

Well after my trip to MAPs this past weekend I came back with another trilobite prize for my collection:

Acanthopyge consanguinea

Order Lichida, Family Lichidae

Lower Devonian

Size About one inch long (large for these!!!)

Haragan Formation, Coal County, Clarita, Oklahoma

Very cool, that's not an often seen bug from OK!

Thanks Caleb, yep it is pretty rare from the Oklahoma material. I found a real deal on this one which had been on my wish list of Ok bugs. It was one of the larger ones too at an inch plus. Very pleased I could get it and get my Ok collection beefed up a bit!

russ

on Nathan / squalicorax's recent visit, he brought me a large flexicalymene trilobite in matrix to allow me to learn some prep as well.He was even more helpful when I was hesitant about damaging the specimen, and encouraged, I have uncovered a good portion.

When time came to split the specimen height-wise for display, I chose my spot carefully and was rewarded with another flexicalymene almost twice as large! It is so sharp, I will glue the negative back on and prep both sides, it will have to stand on an edge. :)

thanks again Nathan, this is a fun perfect piece to work on, and a real first for me :)

Carmine

post-4577-0-08773000-1333758195_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-41139400-1333758202_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-22378000-1333758208_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

It looks to be all there, another day or two I'll be sure to have it done... :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Wow I love just looking through this thread! There are so many amazing specimens here! :greenwnvy:

I have posted these before, but they are by far my favourites because I found them myself!

post-3350-0-56460800-1333829736_thumb.jpg Flexicalymene granulosa

post-3350-0-65064200-1333829753_thumb.jpg Pseudogygites latimarginatus

Complete Scale Bar = 1 cm

Edited by TMNH

almost finished prep on my greenops. been working with the small micro jack under 10x magnification to expose it properly

Its a bit bigger than a quarter so about 3cms

Wow that looks great...can't wait to see it when it's finished! :drool: