Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

stunning Nathan, really.I am twice as psyched to spend some more time out there now... :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Georgeous fossil at the top of ones I want to find complete and actually have a chance of finding........

Gorgeous
:goodjob:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very nice... on my bucket list to hunt that formation........

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a new addition to my collection, have been wanting one of these for along time from Bundenbach:

Name: Chotecops sp.

Geologic Age: Devonian

Description: Very nice and VERY RARE!! This CLASSIC specimen measures approx. 2 cm long. It is stretched out in a backward arch that exposes 12 of it's legs!!

That fir

Nice line up of Trilobites in all the member entries of this topic string. I have some trilos that aren't necessarily my favorites; but I just got them today from my Prepper Bob Miles. I was WOWWED by his work. I found both plates at Disappointment Wash in Mallard Co. Utah this past May and Bob turned them around very quickly. One is a Monster sized Modocia typicalis.

That first Modocia is stunning. "Disappointment Wash" is a misnomer. :)

Context is critical.

post-296-0-37357300-1340670419_thumb.jpg

WOW!

That's a beauty!

Thanks for posting that one, Fossilcrazy!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Lots of magnificent trilobites guys! I couldn't pick between two :P (First one: Zacanthoides Idahoensis, Spence Shale Member, UT)(Second one: Utaspis Marjumensis, Marjum Formation, UT)

post-8812-0-92453500-1340852458_thumb.jpgpost-8812-0-34234800-1340852478_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brendenfinder

Lots of magnificent trilobites guys! I couldn't pick between two :P (First one: Zacanthoides Idahoensis, Marjum Formation, UT)(Second one: Utaspis Marjumensis, Marjum Formation, UT)

post-8812-0-92453500-1340852458_thumb.jpgpost-8812-0-34234800-1340852478_thumb.jpg

Both nice but I am partial to zaks!

russ

Ive been digging the Spence shale for years, its more than rare :drool: havent found one yet but hopefully one day!

My favorite trilobite would be a Zacanthoides grabaui. I'm only a wannabe owner. Haven't found one, can't buy one.

Yeah it is on my list as well... :blink:

Well I have been fortunate to enhance my collection of Cambrian bugs, so this and next few are sharing this enhancement with you all......

Tricrepicephalus coria

Order Ptychopariida, Family Tricrepicephalidae

Upper Cambrian

Weeks Formation, House Range, Millard County, Utah

Edited by dinoruss

New acquisition number 2 this is a 5 incher look at pop can for scale. This is a biggie, have wanted one of these large Olenoids for some time. This is a sweet specimen with bite mark also in lower left...

Olenoides superbus

Order Corynexochida, Family Dorypygidae

Middle Cambrian Marjum Formation,

House Range, Millard County, Utah

Edited by dinoruss

Specimen number 3 a very, very rare trilobite, did not even imagine I would be acquiring this special specimen! Only a handful of complete ones out there and I snagged one of them, kinda a a dream I never thought I would meet, sorta exciting to me...

Peachella iddingsi Walcott, 1884)

Carrara Formation, Echo Shale Member, Late Lower Cambrian

Tecopa Hot Springs, California

Edited by dinoruss

Any one of these so far would have been enough, but number 4 and final in what I got today for trilobites is this slab of 4 beauties on one. This is a special specimen I first saw this I was drooling at the time, now it is in my collection, and I love the Zaks and this one is one of the best I have ever seen, almost a work of art, and I share it with you...

Take a look at this wonderful Middle Cambrian Zacanthoides liddelli plate from the Chisholm Shale of Pioche, Nevada. It is very unusual to find a multi-specimen plate from the Chisholm Shale. They are almost always found as individual fossils. This plate has four! Three are dorsal and one is ventral. The three dorsal ones have the axial spines. I personally have never seen a more magnificent trilobite plate come from Nevada.

Take note of the colorful and typical banding which is runs through all the trilobites. It is most certainly the best to ever come from the Chisholm Shale. The trilobites are all between 2.5 and 4 cm. The plate size is 13 x 12 cm.As far as I know nothing like this has ever come out of the Chisholm. You never see multis come out of there, and the Zacs with axial spines have only been prepped out in the last couple of years. Maybe two or three total. I believe that these may be the best four specimens known of this just recently named species of Zacanthoides!!!

This new species of Zacanthoides liddelli is primarily characterized by its spinal morphology, which includes long genal spines, moderately long intergenal spines, a long axial spine on thoracic segment 8, and short medial spines on the occipital ring and thoracic rings other than the eighth.

UPATE: Not that it matters for the coolness of this plate, but a number of good western trilobite collectors I know who have seen this told me that they think this is not Zacanthoides liddelli Robison and Babcock 2011 but a variety of Z typicalis which is very similar and that two resemble the description and to vary closer to typicalis, so this may be a variant of typicalis rather than a distinct species, depends on if you are a lumper or splitter it seems! Interesting so I will be looking more in to this for fun of it! Looking at descriptions I find these specimens sorta bridge the features of the two described species, maybe more variants to the genus than we knew?

Zacanthoides typicalis (Walcott, 1886)

Order Corynexochida, Family Zacanthoididae

(specimen originally id'd as Zacanthoides liddelli Robison and Babcock 2011 but this may be invalid species)

Chisholm Shale, Middle Cambrian

Pioche, Nevada.

Edited by dinoruss