Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

Here my first nice trilobite find:

an exuvia of Asaphus (Neoasaphus) cornutus (Pander, 1830) from an glacial erratic boulder of the "Obere Linsenschicht" from the middle Ordovician, upper Llanvirn, C1b, found on a field near the small village Stäbelow near Rostock (county of Mecklenburg, Germany), Lenght 7 cm, prep. Koppka, coll. Johannes Kalbe

post-2655-0-85744600-1465410931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johannes
  • I found this Informative 1

I'll add to this amazing thread.

post-16036-0-16091900-1465416550_thumb.jpg

Hoplolichas furcifer

St.Petersburg, Russia

Ordovician

post-16036-0-22346500-1465416656_thumb.jpgFavorite personal trilobite find

Eldredgeops rana

Erie county, NY

Windom shale, Moscow Fm

Devonian

Edited by Raggedy Man

...I'm back.

I really enjoy seeing all of the trilobites from around the world and through the ages!!

Thanks to all for sharing Your pieces.

Here are some that I collected.

A Bolaspidella housensis. from the Wheeler shale.

post-16416-0-29524700-1465442577_thumb.jpg

And an Altiocculus harrisi 1.25 inches also from the wheeler shale...

post-16416-0-78288200-1465442725_thumb.jpg

And a common one that has failed to make a previous appearance....

An Elrathia kingi 1 inch from the wheeler shale...

post-16416-0-55056200-1465443670_thumb.jpg

Tony

Edited by ynot
  • I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Nice bugs, everyone!

Here it's mine (in the center):

Neseuretus avus-It was the only trilo I found by myself (Ordovician layers)

post-18967-0-78579800-1465600988_thumb.jpg

I'm not all that knowledgeable of 'bugs'. Trilobite collectors tend to be like shark teeth collectors...obsessed in a good way.

There are some trilobite sites in the Carboniferous layers that make up the mountains to the west of

Calgary...however, the trilobites are on the small side...easily overlooked among the brachs, crinoids, , etc. on the surface of hash plates.

A bit further to the west across the Alberta/BC Great Divide are lots of Cambrian sites but hard to access these remote areas. These two specimens are random finds at sites I doubt anyone has accessed previously. One ( 8cm long) is similar to Ogygopsis klotzi found at the nearby Burgess Shale. The other one I don't know. I've never got the hang of identifying trilobites. Anyways, lots of potential all along a 400 km corridor for a keen hiker to find some new species.

post-19254-0-63202600-1465604919_thumb.jpeg

post-19254-0-64846900-1465604938_thumb.jpeg

Here is one I like that I posted the other day. I have a bigger one that I will add later. :)

Welcome to the forum. I like the way you added a name and scale to your photo. Many of us, me included, are negligent in providing size perspective.

I'm not all that knowledgeable of 'bugs'. Trilobite collectors tend to be like shark teeth collectors...obsessed in a good way.

There are some trilobite sites in the Carboniferous layers that make up the mountains to the west of

Calgary...however, the trilobites are on the small side...easily overlooked among the brachs, crinoids, , etc. on the surface of hash plates.

A bit further to the west across the Alberta/BC Great Divide are lots of Cambrian sites but hard to access these remote areas. These two specimens are random finds at sites I doubt anyone has accessed previously. One ( 8cm long) is similar to Ogygopsis klotzi found at the nearby Burgess Shale. The other one I don't know. I've never got the hang of identifying trilobites. Anyways, lots of potential all along a 400 km corridor for a keen hiker to find some new species.

That one is interesting.., Let's see if Piranha will be able to ID it. :popcorn:

Edited by Wrangellian

I am pretty sure the one on the left is Bathyuriscus. I think it is Bathyuriscus because the pygidium is so unique and it has 7-9 thorax sections that end in points that point kinda away from the body and the glabella is very large when compared to the rest of the cephalon. The free cheeks seem to match as well. Been working with a lot of them lately. :) not sure about the one on the right. here is a guide my professor gave me for a few cambrian trilobites. Unfortunately the one on the right is not included in my guide.

post-21652-0-21213300-1465451240_thumb.jpg

they are very nice looking! I love the spines coming off the one on the right! What resolution did you post those pictures at? the quality is very good and allowed me to zoom right in. They are truly a wonderful find!

Want to learn about fossil prep? Then check out my blog!

This one is a mirror image of the pervious one. I saw a corner of the above image and tried to open it up to view the fossil and this one was on one side of the opened shale and the other was on the other side of the open shale. Anyone know what that is called?

B24

Want to learn about fossil prep? Then check out my blog!

• 2 months later...

Found last weekend.

Thaleops sp.

Prosser Member, Galena Formation

Orodovician

SE Minnesota

EDIT:

Measurement is cm.

20160908_132913_resized.jpg

...I'm back.

• 2 months later...

Here are a few of my recent favourites that I have prepped out, from the mckay formation, British Columbia.

Chris N

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

• 1 year later...

Eldredgeops rana and amplexiphyllum hamiltoniae  from Penn Dixie, Eire County, State of New-York.

img_0010[1].jpg

img_0311[1].jpg

5ae34c0dce246_img_03101.jpg.f06faee42a676586e4b5d6a401b571b7.jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 11 months later...

I wonder why I didn't come across this topic before. A lot of beautiful specimens.

My favourite is this one. Two Ceratarges armatus and one Ceratarges ziregensis .  Found in Jbel Zerg, Morocco. The favourite piece in my collection.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor ceratarges trioAfbeeldingsresultaat voor ceratarges trio

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

On 4/27/2018 at 3:17 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Beautiful pyritised Gerastos ainrasifus trilobite L. Devonian Morocco

FCF9BEE4-50CC-4EBA-AADC-C59C12A46C3B.jpeg

It's hard to tell the beauty in pyritised fossils until you see one in person, saw my first in person yesterday. Very lovely trilo!

5 hours ago, Jackson g said:

It's hard to tell the beauty in pyritised fossils until you see one in person, saw my first in person yesterday. Very lovely trilo!

Yes I agree . I have had this for many years now and it was given to me by a very well known expert in British trilobites and the head man in one of my local museums to me . 

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4