Cf Industries Trip

Shellseeker

Last Friday, I joined other members of FCOLC (Fossil Club of Lee County) at a Phosphate mine just north of Wauchula Florida. Basically, we are allowed to walk around on a huge area of processed removed overburden -- at this location , the overburden is 16 feet, with the clay and phosphate layers below that level. The mine strips the overburden and processes the phosphate layer.

Others found some almost perfect megs, some nice horse teeth, but my own finds were few and far between. Having said that, I always find something of interest. The "processing" usually chips or breaks the majority of teeth as you can see form the photos.

I did find what seemed to be mastodon teeth fragments, but I am not sure of the largest piece. Is it tooth or just another rocky concretion? All they all tooth fragments, all rock concretions, or a mixture?

It was muddy, some mosquitoes, and rained for the last hour, but I enjoyed the trip -- a lot better that working in the yard and my other more normal activities.

post-2220-0-79138900-1320333409_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-22397100-1320333421_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-60392500-1320333431_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-78399800-1320333454_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-33346400-1320333467_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-09564200-1320333492_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I don't see anything BUT Mastodon! See if you can fit them back together! I also agree that you have a section of "cookie" a piece of nonfused vertebrae body that could be from most any large young animal. Glad you got to go...

• I found this Informative 1

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

Thanks for the replies.

The Meg is just over 2" and I also love the olive green and deep blue colors from Bone Valley. On the large Mastodon (2x2x1.75), there is a very thin layer of what looks like concrete --- which had a fossil friend guessing rock concretion. The thin stripped enamel layer is distinctive.

I am going to attempt the Peace River tomorrow -- a cold front just moved in and the river is high, but I can hear those fossils calling.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I was going too, but figured the water would be too cold, so I am going to wait a couple days. If it is going to be cold, at least it does not have to be so deep. Don't forget your permit!!!

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".