Missourian

Adelophthalmus sp.:

Adelophthalmus1.jpg

Adelophthalmus2.jpg

Adelophthalmus3.jpg

Adelophthalmus4.jpg

Adelophthalmus-close-up.jpg

Found in 1988.

It is basically an external mold in micritic limestone. It consists of the head, six segments, and part of one paddle. The paddle is in positive relief, I believe. It's too bad it wasn't complete; it would have been seven inches in length.

The detail is exquisite. Tiny scales and folds are preserved. There are also tiny white tube worms (or ammovertellid forams) that are attached to the carapace.

Needless to say, I went back a dozen times, but I found no other traces of eurypterids.

Also found at the site are many scaphopods and bellerophontid gastropods, as well as smaller numbers of many other types including other gastropods, pelecypods, nautiloids, rugose coral, bryozoans, brachiopods, ostracods (one is marked with a 'v' on the rock), trilobite fragments, a possible phyllocarid carapace, shark teeth, possible algae, and plant fragments including Cordaites leaves. The fossils are distributed sporadically throughout the otherwise pristine limestone.

Here is the scaphopod Paleodentalium, the best one I found by far:

Paleodentalium.jpg

Context is critical.

Wow!! I've heard legends of Midwest eurypterids, but I've never seen one . Thanks so much for sharing! Gotta find one of those!

The only other spot in Kansas with eurypterids that I know of is the lagerstätte near Hamilton.

They have also been found in the Indian Cave Sandstone in Nebraska and in nodules near Knob Noster, Missouri, as well as at the more famous Mazon Creek.

Because these Kansas beds are closely involved with an algal reef buildup, I figured the eurypterid (or its molt) was flushed out into a lagoon, along with the associated leaves and twigs, and mixed in with the local marine life.

Context is critical.