Showing Off My Latest Purchase: Oviraptor Egg

Pachypleurosauroidea

About a week and a half ago I was at the 2012 FossilFest in Tampa, Fl, and acquired this beautiful unhatched oviraptor egg. I have wanted one of these for a looong time, and I was thrilled to finally get one. This is by far my favorite fossil in my collection. :D

I would love to see pics of other people's eggs, of any type (except the kind you buy at the grocery store :P )

I copied the post below from another thread. Enjoy:

Here are some of the best pictures of the egg.

The gash in the shell is apparently where the egg was stepped on by another dinosaur, seemingly puncturing the shell with a claw, hence the long, narrow shape. To me this is the coolest feature; I prefer it over perfect uniform shell.

There is an interesting spot on one side where the shell fossilized in a different mineral, resulting in a brown patch.

The pic of the end with the missing shell is the ONLY place on the ENTIRE EGG where shell is actually missing. B)

Attached Thumbnails

RAPTOR EGG 1.jpg RAPTOR EGG 2.jpg RAPTOR EGG 3.jpg RAPTOR EGG 4.jpgRAPTOR EGG 5.jpg RAPTOR EGG 6.jpg

Edited by Pachypleurosauroidea

These Oligocene bird came out of an old collection; both were found near Crawford, Nebraska:

post-423-0-31190000-1333474260_thumb.jpg

An Oligocene egg on an indusial limestone matrix (composed of caddisfly larva tubes) from Saint-Gérand-le-Puy, France:

post-423-0-33138500-1333474440_thumb.jpg

An example of the largest egg known, which was laid by an Elephant Bird, Aepyornis maximus (now extinct). The specimen is a composite, pieced together from shell fragments found in the sand dunes of Madagascar:

post-423-0-17079600-1333474689_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cool! I've never seen fossils of bird eggs that small. I love the one in the matrix with the bone. Really neat specimen.

Hello.

here is my dinosaur-egg, Hadrosaurus, 5 x 6" in diameter, it comes from China

Greets from germany, Karl

post-7943-0-66623000-1333483998_thumb.jpg

post-7943-0-19422700-1333484008_thumb.jpg

post-7943-0-23651800-1333484016_thumb.jpg

post-7943-0-45542500-1333484022_thumb.jpg

I want to die sleeping like my grandfather, not screaming like his passenger!

Oviraptor Egg, Nanxiong, Guangdong Province, China

post-4996-0-22306800-1333486741_thumb.jpg

Segnosaur Egg, Nanxiong, Guangdong Province, China

post-4996-0-29184700-1333486771_thumb.jpg

Hadrosaur Egg, Xixia, Henan Province, China (Given as a gift from a natural history museum director)

post-4996-0-56309800-1333486981_thumb.jpg

That's one of the best looking Hadrosaur eggs I've seen. I never really liked the ones with hardly any cracks in the shell; nothing to distinguish those from an ordiary rock. Chinese fossils scare me, hence the Mongolian Oviraptor egg, however I do own a nice little Keichousaurus Hui that I bought from an honest dealer with an excellent reputation. With Chines fossils, it really comes down to who you buy from.

Sinopaleus, I spent so long on my last post (revising, not typing. I'm not THAT slow :D ) that I didn't see your post until now. I love the red matrix on your oviraptor egg. Are you gong to have that one prepped? It looks like it has excellent shell texture.

That's not coming out of China, nor any of my other vertebrate fossils ;)

Sooner or later those dealers would be caught... :unsure:

Still saving up for my Oviraptor egg heehee.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 1 year later...

I am interested in learning more about dinosaur fossils. (Fossilized eggs in particular)

I was at a recent Mineral show and saw fossilized oviraptor eggs from Xiaxia, China. (Didn't know they existed and were so well preserved)

How can you tell if they are the real deal? any tell tail signs?

Also is Xiaxia, China a place where oviraptor eggs are found?

Thank you greatly.
-Dan

post-13434-0-80902300-1381842575_thumb.png

post-13434-0-44235700-1381842581_thumb.png

Edited by DanThe2nd