Could This Possibly Be A Tarbosaurus Tooth Tip?

AJ Plai

Hi

The previous owner of this specimen claimed that it's from a Tarbosaurus. From looking at the tooth, it does seem to fit the general shape of a Tyrannosaur, the serration count is approximately just a little below 2 per 1 mm. The coloration of the tooth doesn't seem to look like a typical Hell Creek preservation, although I am not certain if this looks like Lance Creek or Judith Rivers kind of preservation or not - haven't seen enough of them to be able to distinguish. So it doesn't seem like a typical Rex or an Albertosaurus nor like a Daspletasaurus (or at least the ones I have seen for the most part anyway…).

Though the skeptic in me would like to double check with others just to be sure. To be honest, I got this on a low bid, so even if its not a Tarbosaurus It's still a pretty nice specimen that I will enjoy owning and wouldn't get upset or anything. Just would like to know it's likely ID, that's all.

Anyway here is what the specimen looks like:

post-10857-0-62545300-1386874216_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-42565700-1386874221_thumb.png

post-10857-0-51953900-1386874231_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-76764100-1386874236_thumb.png

post-10857-0-10884200-1386874243_thumb.png

What do you guys think? Does it look to be anything near the Nemegt kind of geological preservation? I haven't seen enough of them to really tell..

Thx :)

Thx for the info and confirmation guys - so great to have such a pool of experts and experienced collectors/academics within keyboard's reach B)

How would you tell if a tooth is from a Mongolian locality - more specifically a Nemegt formation where T-Bataar specimens are presumably found (exclusively?). I have searched some pics online and it seem that Nemegt teeth tend to have light brown crown with almost pale yellow to white root. But if you have only the crown to go by, it seems like Lance formation and Nemegt preservation would look quite similar (at least to the untrained eyes) so what are the features that would distinguish the two localities from one another, if u don't mind me asking.

Thx a lot :)

Edited by AJ Plai

Hi A J

Identifying localities based on color is always problematic since there is very little to go with, its only a guess. Teeth in the Hell Creek, Lance and Judith Group formations are "typically" light to chocolate brown in color but there are black teeth from these locations. Tarbo teeth that I've see are more very light tan with reddish or yellow tint and a white or tan root but like everything else there are variations. Your tooth looks more like a deep brown. I've attached an image of a Tarbo tooth so you can see a typical color.

Reminder color is only a clue to locality and unless you know the source it only an better informed guess.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_05_2013/msg-10935-0-70953000-1369747613.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 3

Hmmmm

Not wanting to contradict the above expert opinions I have seen teeth listed as Tarbosaurus that are the same colour as your tooth tip AJ.

Perhaps they too were from a different location or maybe had enhancement/restoration that was done in a darker colour to make anything artificial less obvious.

Either way you can't rule out or in a specimen based on colour.

It is but one of the characteristics that help with a tooth's provenance.

• 1 year later...

FYI: some Nemegt Formation material can be pretty dark brown colored too. As this Tarbosaurus skull and foot, and Alioramus skull show.post-7726-0-79933600-1425084598_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-19565100-1425084628_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-21138800-1425084786_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2