How To Restore Ammolite Mineral In Ammonites?

GeoNinJ

I have fragmented ammonites that has been glued together. Could someone suggest a kind of paint with additives? to get that irridescent pearly look. Thanks

Can you show us a photo? Generally ammonites either have the nacre or they don't. If you want to paint it on, I gave no idea, but I imagine that would take some serious artistic skills.

The iridescence in the ammonites occurs because of light refraction of the mother of pearl found in some mollusks called the nacuric layer. There can also be replacement material that will be iridescence also. If you cover this layer with any thing opaque it will not let light refract so the only thing I can think of is a clear varnish.

They make pearlized paints but if you have no artistic ability id leave it alone. Ive seen and done many paint jobs on certain fossils. And i have years of art training. But you may end up being disappointed. You dont want to ruin a nice specimen. Upload some pics so we can see what you are working with?

All this input is to your advantage.

The paint idea is just as TriloAnt suggests.

They do make fingernail polish that have the "pearl" colors. (Yes fingernail polish)

The disappointment TriloAnt speaks of is relative to what your expectations are.

It will never have the colors/pearl reflectivity a natural specimen would.

Jess B.