French Ammonite Needs Id

-Andy-

Hi all, I've got a sliced ammonite which I am unable to identity. All the seller could tell me was: It's from France.

There's pyrite outlines and crystals in it. I didn't take a picture of the other side as it's nothing but a big chunk of grey rock.

post-4888-0-00624800-1433159634_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Sadly I won’t be able to identify this one, A picture of the ornaments of the shell would be needed.

You could try to prep the other side, but you would risk to damage the fossil.

Also most of the Jurassic and Cretaceous layers are present in France and most of them deliver a large variety of ammonites.

So without an exact location I can only guess at some possibilities.

Does the other side reveal anything of the shell or other fossils?

Kevin

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Sadly I won’t be able to identify this one, A picture of the ornaments of the shell would be needed.

You could try to prep the other side, but you would risk to damage the fossil.

Also most of the Jurassic and Cretaceous layers are present in France and most of them deliver a large variety of ammonites.

So without an exact location I can only guess at some possibilities.

Does the other side reveal anything of the shell or other fossils?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

There seems to be ribbing like the one in your avatar.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

No diagnostic features are presented by sections such as this. You would need to be able to see the ornament (ribs, tubercles, spines), the whorl profile, the size and shape of the umbilicus, and suture line to have a good shot at a confident ID. If you knew the exact source of the specimen (formation and precise layer or biostratigraphic zone) you would be able to perhaps make an educated guess, but it would still be a guess. Sectioned ammonites such as this are art, attractive displays but not identifiable specimens in any scientific sense. It's a pretty piece, and is worthy of enjoyment for that reason alone.

Don

What is in Kevin`s avatar is a Late Cretaceous Mantelliceras ammonites,and is from France.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

All the above said is true. The only way to find out for certain would be to find a good preparator who could reveal the outer structure without ruining the inner beauty. It is possible.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks guys.

Well, here's a pic of the back. I don't think it reveals much, but I can always hope.

post-4888-0-71317900-1433330624_thumb.jpg

Sorry Andy,

There are too few details to make an identification.

Kevin

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Sorry Andy,

There are too few details to make an identification.

Kevin

Np, thanks for trying man.

Now I will gather a list of French ammonites, of which I'm sure there are many. I will eliminate the small ones first, then eliminate the ones without large obvious ribbing, then eliminate the ones that does not conform to the general shape and internal sulture mold.

I'm sure I can narrow it down to the subfamily at least.

Np, thanks for trying man.

Now I will gather a list of French ammonites, of which I'm sure there are many. I will eliminate the small ones first, then eliminate the ones without large obvious ribbing, then eliminate the ones that does not conform to the general shape and internal sulture mold.

I'm sure I can narrow it down to the subfamily at least.

That won't be easy, since the forms and sculptures tend to repeat themselves through the ages and you will probably discover ones from each of the roughly 20 cretaceous and jurassic stages that are remarkably similar to each other. I still maintain that your best bet would be to find someone to prepare it for you. Now that I've seen the back side, I'm sure that someone that has the proper equipment could do a good job.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/