Dinosaur Tooth? Cedar Mountain

zekky

Hi I have a possible dinosaur tooth. It was found in Moab, Utah and likely the Cedar Mountain formation. The serrations are very wornand I can make some out on both sides of the tooth. Because of the poor serration I've thought it might possibly be a croc. Any ideas?IMGP4114_zpsohpmezcy.jpgIMGP4115_zpsryfuulje.jpgIMGP4121_zpsame9vfrs.jpg

It's not unusual to find a theropod tooth with visibly worn serrations. Can you feel the serrations with your finger if you rub it hard along the edge...or feel them with your tongue?

Looks more Dino than croc but I'm not familiar with the croc teeth from that area.

If those are serrations I'm seeing in your middle picture its of course dinosasurian. Croc teeth do not have serrations. What size is the tooth? If you can see serrations are both the inside and outside are they the same size?

It's about 1 inch long. I can feel the outside serrations only very slightly. On the inside edge the tooth looks like it had been crushed a little and the inside serration are either gone or something I can't realistically label as possible serrations.

Edited by zekky

Any big theropod tooth from that area is neat, very nice. How sure are you that its Cedar Mountain versus the Morrison? The CM exposures are not that extensive.

Kinda sure it's Cedar, there is a chance it could be Morrison. He did have some others that were Morrison for sure, they were a far different color though. The owner wasn't sure.

Edited by zekky

There are serrated teeth known from the Triassic. The presrevation looks a lot like chinle fm teeth i have seen from the Moab area.

I agree and even with the serrations it could be a Phytosaur tooth.

I did find a few pictures of Jurassic teeth from Moab, around the area this tooth was supposedly found. They do look close to this color. So I'm starting to lean towards Allosaurus right now.