Velociraptor Skeleton 3d model WiP

MithosKuu

I absolutely love this project and can't wait to see it limbs and all.

I was speaking to Dave Hone about the Scott Hartman illustrations in his tyrannosaur book: apparently if you scale them up to life-size the details are accurate to within a centimetre, which is amazing at that kind of scale. That said, the difference between Paul & Hartman is probably no less than the difference in variation between Velociraptor individuals anyway.

I absolutely love this project and can't wait to see it limbs and all.

I was speaking to Dave Hone about the Scott Hartman illustrations in his tyrannosaur book: apparently if you scale them up to life-size the details are accurate to within a centimetre, which is amazing at that kind of scale. That said, the difference between Paul & Hartman is probably no less than the difference in variation between Velociraptor individuals anyway.

Thanks! Estimating the tail to be done some time mid next week

17 vertebra to go

Raptorv2_77.jpg

Tail is complete

Raptorv2_79.jpg

I've also just adjusted the pubis to better match IGM 100/985, sadly I don't have a posterior view of the ischium so I can't fix that up. Old in red, new in blue, with a purple overlay to better show the difference

hips.jpg

Got some leg work done, femur and tibia are based on IGM 100/986 and are a little small for this reconstruction, I'll need to lengthen them a bit. Don't have good turn arounds for the foot, so it will take a while to get it looking good.

Raptorv2_81.jpg

Started work on the arms. After the complex shapes on the skull and tail and can't help but feel my arms are a bit... simplistic? I don't know, have some renders

Raptorv2_86.jpg

Raptorv2_85.jpg

Raptorv2_87.jpg

This is looking really good, you've done an amazing job with this mate, great stuff!

The pectoral girdle looks a bit weird from the front. The arms also don't appear to be in their sockets.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The pectoral girdle looks a bit weird from the front. The arms also don't appear to be in their sockets.

Can you be more specific about what's wrong with the pectoral girdle? I have no doubts that it is wrong, my reference image is pretty distorted from fossilization so I had to guess what it should have looked like in life.

As for the arm placement, they were hastily put there for the render, I'll put more care into their placement once I finish the hands up. Thanks for your feedback : D

This was the best example I could find. It shows the scapula and coracoid pretty well. Though the sternum and furcula aren't included in this skeleton. I think this is the skeleton from Brussels.

Velociraptor_Wyoming_Dinosaur_Center_Whi

Edited by LordTrilobite

I know you are doing the model yourself just for fun, but take it from a pro.... you can find everything on the Internet. If you search velociraptor skeleton 3D you may find some models you can download for free. Most software packages should be able to import the most popular file formats. If you are having trouble with details, you might find a 3D model available for comparison to your own project. I don't guarantee you'll find anything, and the models you do find are sometimes "shrink wrapped" so you can't take them apart. Back when I did a lot of this sort of stuff, I made liberal use of free models. Definitely improves your throughput. ;-)

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

I know you are doing the model yourself just for fun, but take it from a pro.... you can find everything on the Internet. If you search velociraptor skeleton 3D you may find some models you can download for free. Most software packages should be able to import the most popular file formats. If you are having trouble with details, you might find a 3D model available for comparison to your own project. I don't guarantee you'll find anything, and the models you do find are sometimes "shrink wrapped" so you can't take them apart. Back when I did a lot of this sort of stuff, I made liberal use of free models. Definitely improves your throughput. ;-)

Trust me, I've been going through scientific papers and research for reference material lol. I think I have about 6 pdfs in addition to a handful of images. The femur, tibia, and the redone pubis were modeled off of orthographic photographs of the actual bones. The skull is based off a combination of scientific illustration and a 3d scan of a skull fossil.

I have been unable to find good undistorted references of the sternum though, so I ended up using images from "Pterosaurs as a food source for small animals" but the bones are very distorted in that image so I could only get a rough shape from it. I have also tried finding other skeletal models to use as reference, but they are either expensive, inaccurate, or both.

That being said, I'm sure there's a paper out there with the exact information I need, I just haven't had any luck finding it lol

Trying to rework the chest piece now

Raptorv2_89.jpg

But none of my reference material agrees with each other on how everything is supposed to look

ribreference.png

And then I found these two images, based on Deinonycus which isn't ideal but should be close enough

tmp2E19_thumb.pngunknown.png

Which allowed me to make this (New in blue, old in red)

Raptorv2_90.jpg

And here it is with the rest of the torso for context. I need to adjust ribs 2-5 to fit the wider plate, and I need to make some adjustments where the first and fifth ribs intersect it.

Raptorv2_91.jpg

Just need to finish up the hands and add the hyoid bone now

That looks much better! It's really coming together nicely.

Trust me, I've been going through scientific papers and research for reference material lol. I think I have about 6 pdfs in addition to a handful of images. The femur, tibia, and the redone pubis were modeled off of orthographic photographs of the actual bones. The skull is based off a combination of scientific illustration and a 3d scan of a skull fossil.

I have been unable to find good undistorted references of the sternum though, so I ended up using images from "Pterosaurs as a food source for small animals" but the bones are very distorted in that image so I could only get a rough shape from it. I have also tried finding other skeletal models to use as reference, but they are either expensive, inaccurate, or both.

That being said, I'm sure there's a paper out there with the exact information I need, I just haven't had any luck finding it lol

I wasn't talking about papers, but actual 3D models that others have created that you can download and use in your 3D modeling software. Why reinvent the wheel? Even if you think other peoples' models aren't accurate enough for your taste, at least you have a starting point when you are having problems getting your model to work. Here are a few links from a cursory search. The first link is for a guy doing a life size printable velociraptor skeleton.

https://www.gofundme.com/o2mzyc

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?180781-Velociraptor-Skeleton-4-printing

http://www.123dapp.com/Search/velociraptor/content/all

https://m.facebook.com/3dworldmagazine/photos/a.191538394194178.54045.183840888297262/709774722370540/?type=3

https://grabcad.com/library/real-raptor-skull-1

http://www.stlfinder.com/?search=dinosaur+skull

post-20989-0-17513000-1469789584_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CraigHyatt

Almost complete, just need to add the hyoid bone and adjust the ribs to fit the new sternal plate.

Raptorv2_93.jpg

Nice! Is that modeled in Rhino?

Nice! Is that modeled in Rhino?

I modeled it in 3ds max, as an aside, half the poly count is in those tail extensions, the high poly render model weighs in at about 1.5 million polys and drags my computer down to about 1 fps, it makes rendering so much fun lol