Examples of Commonly Faked Dino Eggs

HamptonsDoc

Yes, has any preparation been done? I would very much like to see this egg cleaned- it is extremely convincing!

Purveyor of man-made eggs is unabated in continuing to trick people into purchasing fake fossils.  Here is another example of a "dinosaur egg nest" as he describes it.  STAY AWAY!!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.40fc09968ebbdedb74542321fbdb4980.jpg

This is another fake listed by a seller out of China.  Labeled as a segnosaurus dinosaur egg.

s-l500.jpg.5f48ed714cecb2a1bb97eef6297b38c6.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

They are all working hard to make them as realistic as possible and getting real good for a novice to accept them as real.  Like how they add the matrix base to support the illusion.   

Need to keep these images in front of collectors...thanks

• I found this Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

They are all working hard to make them as realistic as possible and getting real good for a novice to accept them as real.  Like how they add the matrix base to support the illusion.   

Need to keep these images in front of collectors...thanks

Yes, I've noticed this trend too. There's a lot more listed on there that I was tempted to post but they're looking more and more realistic and it is becoming difficult to tell what is fake based off a few cleverly taken pictures.

We can not say with absolute certainty that the sellers are mixing real eggs with fake eggs, especially if we take into account that with each passing year, these eggs are becoming more and more convincing... So, in my opinion, however convincing it may seem, these sellers have no credibility, and do not deserve any confidence! You can not light one candle for God and one candle for the Devil.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

54 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

This is another fake listed by a seller out of China.  It is labeled in a very similar manner as "segnosaurus dinosaur egg fossilized crystallized fossil jurassic cretaceous."

What tells You this one is fake?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:01 AM, ynot said:

The pores are wrong, look man made.  It also has a plastic appearance to the shell.  

• I found this Informative 5

On 4/11/2018 at 9:26 AM, HamptonsDoc said:

The pores are wrong, look man made.  It also has a plastic appearance to the shell.  

I have a great friend of mine who was fooled here in my country with these white eggs. My friend bought one, and this "segnosaurus egg" is nothing more than an ordinary ostrich egg with red earth and cement inside, plus red earth with cement on the outside to imitate a false matrix. My friend opened a complaint on our favorite auction site, the seller returned his money, and the seller did not even make a point of getting the ostrich egg back.

image.png.508c50051fb4bc723bd1a2b9ded302da.png

Note: Not even the earth has true red coloration, but it is dark earth with cement and dye to try to imitate a true matrix of Chinese sandstone. :wacko:

• I found this Informative 3

03.PNG

50 minutes ago, ynot said:

The other point I will make is a comparative one.  If you are fortunate enough to be the owner of real eggs you can get a good perspective on what they should look like.  This makes identifying a fake one a bit easier but does not help those shopping for their first egg.

• I found this Informative 3

4 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

s-l500.jpg.5f48ed714cecb2a1bb97eef6297b38c6.jpg

I also saw this one! You may note that even completely tinted with green, it still remains a modern egg of the ostrich, which was filled inside and out with soil and cement, and after drying, the shells were slightly broken intentionally to simulate crushing by sediment. :(

To better illustrate what I am saying, compare in the picture below the pores:

image.png.006b56a69a430177d1b16c8523b4e191.png

And from this moment, now that you already know the secret, you can complete the collection by making a legitimate :rofl:"segnosaurus egg"!

Note: My friend @Tidgy's Dad! I really liked your new look! :D

image.png.59af1c4ff07391be9620631cc1523aff.png

• I found this Informative 7

03.PNG

2 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I really liked your new look! :D

image.png.59af1c4ff07391be9620631cc1523aff.png

Only $1,000,000 ?

Pah! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

image.png.006b56a69a430177d1b16c8523b4e191.png

Wow great comparison!  Thanks for posting this!!

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

We can not say with absolute certainty that the seller is mixing real eggs with fake eggs, especially if we take into account that with each passing year, these eggs are becoming more and more convincing... So, in my opinion, however convincing it may seem, this seller has no credibility, and does not deserve any confidence! You can not light one candle for God and one candle for the Devil.

It's getting difficult yes, especially the "unpreped" looking ones are very convincing and look real, although most of B and C grade quality (a lot of shell missing), which wouldn't be so difficult to fake. I'm looking forward to see how killer2906's specimen preped out... 

On 12/3/2017 at 4:35 PM, killer2906 said:

So the egg arrived and I took a few pictures.

what do you think, does it look real?

IMG_4360.JPG

IMG_4367_2.jpg

IMG_4398.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4564_2.jpg

4 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Wow great comparison!  Thanks for posting this!!

You are welcome, my friend @HamptonsDoc!

It is I who thank you for your constant struggle to bring enlightenment to those who have no experience whatsoever. I have three eggs in my collection, and you helped me in the purchase, when I posted them here at TFF, and I will be eternally grateful for this! :wub:

03.PNG

On 8.4.2018 at 10:10 AM, aeon.rocks said:

Just curious, any progress done with prep of the oviraptor egg?

Yes i started with the preparation, but lately I had no time to continue.

I will post photos when I'm finished it.

IMG_4852 2.jpg

IMG_4857 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

• 1 month later...

What do you/any/everyone think of these? I feel like they look very real compared to what I know are real eggs, and. Ithing like any type of fake egg Ive ever seen, BUT they're from china, and the prices being super low and no one bidding. Although even the fakes r always very expensive so I maybe they have to lower them cause they can't sell them, and everyone is just too afraid to, I dunno...I feel like they must be fake, but they look so real to me

theres a number of them so I'll hafta send each one separately-each group of pics is of the same egg

IMG_6151.PNG

IMG_6152.PNG

IMG_6153.PNG

IMG_6154.PNG

There's another 2, one is from the same seller as all of these, and one is from another, but for some reason it's claiming that THESE pictures are too big, while 3 of any of the previous ones were not....weird. I'll at least try to upload the one from the different seller later, cause if the ones I already posted r fake, the next one is too, and likewise if they're real, or seem to be, cause I feel like the last one of theirs looks even better

The eggs are real, but their condition is pretty bad. Give them a miss. More complete eggs will appear in time.

2 hours ago, Still_human said:

There's another 2, one is from the same seller as all of these, and one is from another, but for some reason it's claiming that THESE pictures are too big, while 3 of any of the previous ones were not....weird. I'll at least try to upload the one from the different seller later, cause if the ones I already posted r fake, the next one is too, and likewise if they're real, or seem to be, cause I feel like the last one of theirs looks even better

You have to refresh your page after each uploaded post.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I think they’re real too but remember, exportation of fossils from China is illegal! That could explain the low prices and lack of bids. 

And here's the one from the other seller

so what do u a think? They look totally real, don't they???  If they were more expensive I would just assume they were real, but the prices......so strange. But I know there could be reasons. Like the last guy said, they're illegal(but they always could have been found and owned since before the '80s), so maybe they're just trying to get rid of them ASAP? Or maybe they just need money seriously, and fast? It's still a lot of money for some people in China. Or maybe it's just because they're in such bad shape. Almost all other eggs for sale are in great shape, at least compared to these. Even the real ones!

IMG_6165.PNG

IMG_6166.PNG

IMG_6167.PNG

IMG_6169.PNG

These last few you posted are real too. The condition is pretty poor though.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!