Is this a fossil, and if so, of what?

Georgie

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to the forum, so apologies if I inadvertently don't follow all the rules...

Anyway, I found this odd flint on Bridlington North Beach earlier today. It caught my eye due to the unusual shape. I am not a proper fossil hunter - just a picker-up of obvious stuff like belemnites in my driveway gravel - so I have no idea what this could be. (Or even if it is a fossil!)

I hope the photos show up the crazing, and the fact that the narrow groove on one side retains a high shine, as just visible in the third photo (the rest has been dulled by wave action etc, I guess).

Thank  you in advance for your help!

IMAG2337_1.jpg

IMAG2338_1.jpg

IMAG2339_1.jpg

A few more photos from the ends. I wondered about it being ceramic (could be a pot rim) but it's tricky to tell. And if it was ceramic I'd have expected both ends to match?

Thanks for replying!

EDIT: I've just tried scratching it (admittedly with a kitchen fork - I'm not currently at home!) and no mark resulted. 

IMAG2342_1.jpg

IMAG2340_1.jpg

Edited by Georgie
Additional information

+ 1 for wave worn ceramic bit. 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

42 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

+ 1 for wave worn ceramic bit. 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Regards,

+2

...I'm back.

I suspect you're all right about it being ceramic. Thanks for the input :dinothumb: Maybe I'll stick to my driveway gravel - I found an echinoid the size of a hazelnut recently, barely worn.

There were loads of those Devil's Toenails shells (gryphaea?) on the beach though. I ended up collecting them for the kids to decorate their sandcastles with.