Jeffrey P

Just got back from a weeklong trip to Southern Germany in pursuit of ammonites and other Jurassic marine fossil fauna. Accompanied by my fellow collector, Ralph and his friend, Aza we arrived at the Zurich airport and headed straight to Lake Constance and the home of TFF member Roger (Ludwigia) to observe his incredible collection and receive advice about collecting spots in southern Germany. Fortunately, I'm fluent in Canadian. This is Aza, Roger, and Ralph at Roger's home:

image1 (12).JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Observing Roger's amazing collection- Jurassic ammonites are the highlight:

image1 (11).JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Then on to our hotel, less than an hour northeast of Roger's- a wonderful place to stay, a friendly and helpful staff, and excellent food:

IMG_5501.JPG

This was our view from the hotel on the third day with the Lake Constance and the Swiss Alps in the background:

IMG_5498.JPG

Finally, on to the fossil collecting in the Wutach Valley, getting ready. It was a bit wet that first day:

IMG_5469.JPG

First blood- Ralph collects our first German ammonite by the side of a stream:

IMG_5472.JPG

I found my first ammonite. This is it after Roger prepped it, Ancolioceras opalinoides:

image1 (20).JPG

The next day we were out with Roger to his famed "ditch" in the Upper Danube Basin:

IMG_5486.JPG

These were some of my finds after Roger prepped them: On the left Garnierisphinctes sp. and on the right; Crussoliceras sp.

image1 (13).JPG

There was other fauna as well including these sponges which sometimes formed entire reefs:

image1 (15).JPG

Congrats ! Really nice finds :ighappy:

Too bad that i couldnt join your guys :wacko:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Back out again to the area an hour northwest of Lake Constance- two more Middle Jurassic sites. Better weather this time:

IMG_5505.JPG

Along another stream- a cliff with plenty of talus and abundant belemenite, flattened ammonite, and bivalve fossils:

IMG_5511.JPG

Most of the fossils were too fragile or fragmentary to collect, but I managed to bring back this complete belemnite:

image1 (27).JPG