Stone supplier HUGE lucky find!

Rob_P

On 7/5/2017 at 3:48 PM, Rob_P said:

So just got home from the stone yard, my buddy who owns the place called the supplier in Tennessee and the stone is in fact from Maryland. We mentioned the print to him and he said every now and then they do find prints, most end up as partials due to their process but since they hand select, categorize and load the larger pieces such as my own they usually catch the complete tracks and keep them or give them away as gifts. He also mentioned this is not the first time he's received a call about this haha. I didn't really find much while there because my niece and nephew didn't want to hang in a stone yard all day but they did have fun collecting bits and pieces of shiny or interesting rocks. Once they found out about the Dino track they ended up flipping everyone of the Tennessee stones looking for tracks. They "found" three but I couldn't break their hearts and tell them they weren't tracks. 

Do you know if it's from south Maryland, or north maryland?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Do you know if it's from south Maryland, or north maryland?

I honestly didn't think to ask and should have, I'll see if I can get his email so I'm not bothering him by calling too much and will let you know.

Yes, it would be a good idea to try and find out exactly where the stone came from, as so much depends on this. Generally a good idea with fossils of any sort. Location, location, location! Not just 'South Maryland' or 'North Maryland'.

Email sent, I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out. Thanks to everyone with the kind words.

On 7/5/2017 at 10:52 AM, Carl said:

Hate to be the lone voice here, but I'm not 100% convinced it's a print. It is certainly convincing but it could also be a fortuitous shape in the rock. Tracks are easier to simulate than bones, teeth, or shells. I eagerly await any details on where the rock may have come from to see if the context makes sense.

But trust me: I want it to be a track. I love a good serendipity story, especially within paleo!

From the photos, it appears to be a legitimate track. It seems to push up/down in all the appropriate places.

• I found this Informative 1