What have I found

Travis K.

I found this while hunting for arrowheads and petrified wood in a river bed in CO. It seems like it might be fossilized coral but I really don't know.  Any ideas?

Thanks 

thumbnail_IMG_20170909_172658000.jpg.96dbcbbd340aa50e499fa3fb45808db9.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20170909_172716209.jpg.e61ff08433e7fccbc77ebecea206c58b.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20170909_172801610.jpg.eeaca066bc028fec7cb140a83ca9c32a.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20170909_172923822.jpg.3f92323c9d4e494c38efffcbc2022750.jpg

Those photos are so tiny, can you give us a blow up especially #2.  Looks like syringopora tabulate coral but hard to tell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Welcome to The Fossil Forum; thanks for posting your fossil puzzle.

What is it made of? Does a knife scratch it. If a knife sctratches it (calcium carbonate?) then I lean towards a marine fossil. If silica, I wonder if it might be an incompletely silicified piece of wood. The subparallel lines that go from the top to the bottom of below photo might be growth rings or other wood structure.image.png.c8403363dccd8ccabfa0500ce1d714b8.png

What formation and age is the fossil from? Use this website and point out where you found it:  https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/mapview/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Welcome to TFF!

It looks like a piece of limestone that has a bunch of worm bore holes in it. Does not look like coral or wood to Me.

Does it fizz when You put a drop of vinegar on it?

I wonder if it is a colonial tube worm(?)?

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

28 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

It looks like a piece of limestone that has a bunch of worm bore holes in it. Does not look like coral or wood to Me.

Does it fizz when You put a drop of vinegar on it?

I wonder if it is a colonial tube worm(?)?

I soaked and cleaned it with vinegar then power washed to get the moss off and it didn't fizz or erode in any way. It didn't clean up very well either. Ha

The holes look slightly like acrothoracid cirriped borings to me

edit:

alternatively,possibly bark beetle????(or insect,anyway?)

edit: Xylokrypta ??

webshhetsifcrahogo.jpg

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to The Fossil Forum; thanks for posting your fossil puzzle.

What is it made of? Does a knife scratch it. If a knife sctratches it (calcium carbonate?) then I lean towards a marine fossil. If silica, I wonder if it might be an incompletely silicified piece of wood. The subparallel lines that go from the top to the bottom of below photo might be growth rings or other wood structure.image.png.c8403363dccd8ccabfa0500ce1d714b8.png

What formation and age is the fossil from? Use this website and point out where you found it:  https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/mapview/

I cant scratch it very easily. It doesn't seem to be the same composition throughout. I can somewhat scratch some areas an others are very hard. I scrubbed it using vinegar and a stainless steel brush and power washed it and it didn't damage it at all.

I have no idea how to pinpoint is origin. I found it in the S. Platte river northeast of Denver, so it could have come from anywhere in the drainage basin. I have been finding loads of petrified wood of all different types in the same area. 

Sorry, not much help.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm now leaning towards petrified (silicified wood) possibly palm. The holes may be the vascular bundles. Palm wood has been found near Denver:

See my photo of palm wood below from California. Notice wavey vascular bundles- sort of like the ones in your fossil.

P1020042 - Copy (1280x1191).jpg

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

14 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I'm now leaning towards petrified (silicified wood) possibly palm. The holes may be the vascular bundles. Palm wood has been found near Denver:

See my photo of palm wood below from California. Notice wavey vascular bundles- sort of like the ones in your fossil.

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I searched for other examples of petrified palm wood and it looks similar. 

image.png.c2191afac0720debed51f8aab959f562.png