Dewbunny

Got a pretty little ammo pendent yesterday. Funny how I live in Florida but do not own any shell fossils,nor a single sharks tooth. I guess they are just so plentiful around here that I never kept any.

Anyhow,back to the pendant. The guy I bought it from had little to no knowledge outside 'it's a shell,it's opalized,it's 5 bucks'

So after some personal research I think I have a......

Cleoniceras Cleon

Lower Cretaceous 

Madagascar 

It's 1 inch at its widest.

Now,other than confirmation of ID, I'm wondering what the tiny spiral inside the opening is. Is it another teeny tiny ammo or just junk that settled inside as it fossilized.

20171203_175228.jpg

20171203_174328-1.jpg

20171203_174847.jpg

20171204_073054.jpg

I could imagine that your teeny tiny spiral a gastropod is. If it was am ammonite, you would probably be able to see teeny tiny septa. Cleoniceras is correct in my opinion.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree with Roger - looks like 2 gastropods in cross section. 

Neat pick up.  :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks guys!

I kinda found it disheartening how the seller had no idea what he was selling. At first I thought he was just an employee,but nope he was the owner. And he only sold ammos! I just don't understand selling something specific yet having no knowledge of what one's selling,really,wtf. Especially when he said "been doing this fer 25 year...." 

Nothing labeled other than price and everything grouped by size and not type. A true cluster hump, There were so many different patterns that I just picked what I found prettiest, Up close the sutures(?) look like beautiful oak leafs to me.

Low and behold ithe is a Cleo,my mother's name is Cleo! Oh and it is me very first Ammonite in my collection :ammonite01:

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Dewbunny said:

Thanks guys!

I kinda found it disheartening how the seller had no idea what he was selling. At first I thought he was just an employee,but nope he was the owner. And he only sold ammos! I just don't understand selling something specific yet having no knowledge of what one's selling,really,wtf. Especially when he said "been doing this fer 25 year...." 

Nothing labeled other than price and everything grouped by size and not type. A true cluster hump, There were so many different patterns that I just picked what I found prettiest, Up close the sutures(?) look like beautiful oak leafs to me.

Low and behold ithe is a Cleo,my mother's name is Cleo! Oh and it is me very first Ammonite in my collection :ammonite01:

Well, it is not uncommon for some gem and jewelry shows to have people who sell these and for them to have a complete understanding of their wares would be outstanding.

Most of them buy these in quantities/lots and sell them not truly knowing the what and how of the specimen itself.

Try placing it under a "black-light". It may have fluorescent properties.

You picked out a nice one.