Trying to find a definitive identification for this nautiloid? Anyone know of any science-based paper online to refer to the Ma'der region of Morocco during this period of time and the cephalopod fauna? Any info appreciated. Devonian section in the Tafilalt, Ma'der region, Anti-Atlas, Morocco.

(Clymenia genus ammonoid? do they get this large and the chamber/whorls are very similar to nautiloids)

thefossilstore.com-fossil-ammonites-33.jpg

Sorry I can't help you much here. It's always a pity when they sand and polish off the shell on so many of these moroccan fossils, since many of the identifying characteristics get lost along with it.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Kröger, Björn. (2008). Nautiloids before and during the origin of ammonoids in a Siluro-Devonian section in the Tafilalt, Anti-Atlas, Morocco. Special Papers in Palaeontology. 1-110. 10.1111/j.1475-4983.2008.00764.x.

Abstract available here.

• I found this Informative 2

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

14 hours ago, richardthefossil said:

Trying to find a definitive identification for this nautiloid? Anyone know of any science-based paper online to refer to the Ma'der region of Morocco during this period of time and the cephalopod fauna? Any info appreciated. Devonian section in the Tafilalt, Ma'der region, Anti-Atlas, Morocco.

(Clymenia genus ammonoid? do they get this large and the chamber/whorls are very similar to nautiloids)

?

thefossilstore.com-fossil-ammonites-33.jpg

I would agree with Ludwigia.. all nautiloids look pretty much the same when you cross-section them like that, even the modern ones.

Hi sorry I am also with @Ludwigia in that I like my ammonites as natural as possible and in most  cases left in there matrix. So I can’t help with an ID but I just wanted to say that is a very nice looking piece and I can imagine it looks great in your collection. I do have one polish ammonite it is polished down to the Septal Margin and has a beautiful light hue. I like it a lot.

cheers Bobby