Knocking About the Naco: Pennsylvanian Sponges and Corals

DPS Ammonite

Lack of snow cover and warmer than average temps allowed me to explore and collect sponges and corals from the Pennsylvanian Naco Formation in central  Arizona, north of Payson. Widespread chert of the Beta Member suggests that silicious sponges may have been common. Several have been identified but many more exist. I have seen and collected several undescribed species. Dilliard and Rigby have described several sponges including Chaunactis olsoni  which I found in the area: 

The New Demosponges, Chaunactis olsoni and. Haplistion nacoense, and Associated Sponges from the. Pennsylvanian Naco Formation, Central Arizona. by DILLIARD  and RIGBY      http://geology.byu.edu/Home/sites/default/files/geo_stud_vol_46_dilliard_rigby.pdf   EDIT:  geo_stud_vol_46_dilliard_rigby.pdf

Photo 1a. Detail of undesribed sponge. Marks are 1/16th inch. Any ideas?

Photo 2.   3/4 quater view of sponge in photo 1a. Note red 1/3 to 2/3 inch thick pancake-like form of sponge.

Photo 4.   Top of another similiar sponge. Marks are 1/16th inch.

Help me ID 2 corals and one sponge.

Photo 3. Coral, Multithecopora?, which has been reported from the Naco many miles to the south.

Photo 5.  Probably Chaetetes, a side view.

Photo 5a. Top of Chaetetes.

Photo 6.  Horn Coral, Zaphrentis?

1a.docx

2.docx

4.docx

3.docx

5.docx

5a.docx

6.docx

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1a                                                                                                                            2.

1a.jpg  2.jpg

3.                                                                                                                      4.

3.jpg   4.jpg

5.                                                                                                                                     5a.                       

5.jpg    5a.jpg

6.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think that spaghetti like Coral we have called siringapora in the past.   you have found some great sponges there!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Syringopora is still a valid taxon, as far as I know...also, it has a S. bifurcata species, but that was Silurian. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sweet sponges!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/