Show me your six and seven gill shark teeth

Woopaul5

Sadly, no.

These Notorynchus finds were spotted while picking micro-matrix for the Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH). I neglected to take a photo from the other side and the tooth is now sitting in a box in a drawer in a cabinet in the vertebrate paleontology warehouse. It would take some time and effort to relocate it. :DOH:

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Here's a Notorynchus primigenius from the Miocene of Victoria, Australia:

I hope you disinfected it first :P

Great tooth from a unique Australian site. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

8 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Nice tooth from a location I’ve not seen beforehand. Thanks for sharing 

Hi Kurt,

They used to call the formation "the Woolwich Bottom Beds" and sometimes the deposit is called more generally, "Herne Bay."  It's a few million years older than the London Clay and you find some different sharks.  A Notidanodon tooth is a rare find (Paraorthacodus is very rare from there as well) - even rarer in that condition - as you probably assumed.  I think that tooth is an upper lateral because of the size of the secondary cusp but it might be the last upper parasymphsyeal.  You don't see too many Notidanodon dentitions being put together.  Great specimen and a fantastic first trip find!

Jess

• I found this Informative 2

26 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Hi Kurt,

They used to call the formation "the Woolwich Bottom Beds" and sometimes the deposit is called more generally, "Herne Bay."  It's a few million years older than the London Clay and you find some different sharks.  A Notidanodon tooth is a rare find (Paraorthacodus is very rare from there as well) - even rarer in that condition - as you probably assumed.  I think that tooth is an upper lateral because of the size of the secondary cusp but it might be the last upper parasymphsyeal.  You don't see too many Notidanodon dentitions being put together.  Great specimen and a fantastic first trip find!

Jess

Got any pics of a Notidanodon dentition set i could compare with? Most of the images i come across are the Moroccan ones. I also found a nearly complete Otodus on that same first trip to Beltinge, it was a great introduction to the site! Have you collected there before? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

1 hour ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Got any pics of a Notidanodon dentition set i could compare with? Most of the images i come across are the Moroccan ones. I also found a nearly complete Otodus on that same first trip to Beltinge, it was a great introduction to the site! Have you collected there before? 

Whaaaaat! I could only dream of a trip like that, how were you hunting:)

1 hour ago, will stevenson said:

Whaaaaat! I could only dream of a trip like that, how were you hunting:)

Both were from the main foreshore collecting area, just luck i suppose. Have you got a fairly large Beltinge collection? I'd be keen to share pics through PM if you like, let this thread get back on course :) 

11 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Both were from the main foreshore collecting area, just luck i suppose. Have you got a fairly large Beltinge collection? I'd be keen to share pics through PM if you like, let this thread get back on course :) 

That would be great I’ll pm you soon:)

On 10/9/2020 at 4:10 AM, CharlotteG said:

And since I can’t upload more than 3 pictures at a time...

949E56D0-F87E-4D2D-8789-90CED11486D8.jpeg 74576A30-D650-45CD-916A-BF44F40E7A62.jpeg

Beautiful teeth Charlotte. Thank you for sharing!!

18 hours ago, will stevenson said:

@fossilsonwheels here you go;) if complete it would have been huge but it has nice colours:)

28D69637-0B49-4E85-BFE8-A8DF24D71E9C.jpeg 45274064-D172-43F8-A675-93E7DAE6AD5A.jpeg 71E3261C-7C3D-43B0-9AC6-E4079466E31C.jpeg D4D98EB7-E386-424A-A7FA-3F24FB447930.jpeg

Fantastic tooth Will. Thank you for sharing it with us. Great addition to the thread. 

Our oldest Hexanchus tooth and one my favorite fossils. 

Hexanchus sp. 

Cretaceous 

Northumberland Formation 

Hornby Island B.C 

This was labeled as Hexanchus microdon but I don’t know if a species has been named from the location. 

27638065-58D1-4AD8-AC91-CF39CC2DDBF2.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

On 10/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, digit said:

Some Notorynchus sp. specimens from the Miocene of northern Florida found while picking through matrix samples:

A nice upper:

P9086042.jpgP9086041.jpg

A partial:

P9096057.jpg

Likely, an upper symphyseal:

P9236238.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

Those are fantastic teeth. Thanks for sharing Ken. I am sure the museum is happy to have those !!

3 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Those are fantastic teeth. Thanks for sharing Ken. I am sure the museum is happy to have those !!

Cow shark teeth are rarer than hen's teeth in southern Florida. I think I know of only 1 or 2 specimens found by the long time fossil hunters down there. They seem more common further north in Florida starting (apparently) around Orlando. I know the geology that outcrops gets progressively older as you get further north but I don't know if that has anything to do with the relative abundance of these teeth. I knew that Notorynchus occurred at the Montbrook site since I was volunteering there a couple years back when someone turned up a nice complete lower. I got a chance to hold this beauty and snap a few shots.

PB120341.jpg

They are still quite the rarity compared to the other shark and ray teeth and so even partials are cataloged in the collection. I had quite the run of spotting several Notorynchus teeth while sorting through the larger material (> 1/4") from some washed and screened sandbags of matrix from the Montbrook site. For a while there I thought these were going to be common finds as they were turning up with regularity. It must have just been that the sandbags were all from a certain section (or layer) at the site where these teeth were either more common or possibly part of an association. Haven't seen any new ones in over a month now. Hoping that I come across more matrix batches containing Cow Shark teeth as they are always a delight when they are spotted among the matrix.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

I have not gotten to any Notorynchus yet so I will correct that. 

Notorynchus serratissimus

Eocene

London Clay

Isle of Sheppey UK

I believe this would be our oldest tooth in this genus. This one came via a trade with @will stevenson. I think a tooth we get from a TFF member is always a bit better than the teeth that come from other sources ! 

Speaking of teeth in our collection that came from TFF members, this next one was a gift from @Troodon. Frank has been a great friend and contributed so much to our collection. It’s an honor to have had his help building our cow shark collection. 

Notorynchus kempi

Eocene

Mangyshlak

Kazakhstan

C21B8812-B16C-4EEB-A855-578748BBAC65.jpeg

E095F118-CCB2-4E64-8A5A-73F0BE0F6DB5.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

23 hours ago, digit said:

Cow shark teeth are rarer than hen's teeth in southern Florida. I think I know of only 1 or 2 specimens found by the long time fossil hunters down there. They seem more common further north in Florida starting (apparently) around Orlando. I know the geology that outcrops gets progressively older as you get further north but I don't know if that has anything to do with the relative abundance of these teeth. I knew that Notorynchus occurred at the Montbrook site since I was volunteering there a couple years back when someone turned up a nice complete lower. I got a chance to hold this beauty and snap a few shots.

PB120341.jpg

They are still quite the rarity compared to the other shark and ray teeth and so even partials are cataloged in the collection. I had quite the run of spotting several Notorynchus teeth while sorting through the larger material (> 1/4") from some washed and screened sandbags of matrix from the Montbrook site. For a while there I thought these were going to be common finds as they were turning up with regularity. It must have just been that the sandbags were all from a certain section (or layer) at the site where these teeth were either more common or possibly part of an association. Haven't seen any new ones in over a month now. Hoping that I come across more matrix batches containing Cow Shark teeth as they are always a delight when they are spotted among the matrix.

Cheers.

-Ken

I know they are rare in Florida deposits and I love seeing those teeth. That is a really nice lower tooth. I hope you hit another run and find more Ken. It’s always great to have you share your experience and knowledge with us !!! 

Kurt

On 10/8/2020 at 10:00 PM, Paleoworld-101 said:

No, I don't but you can try using a Notorynchus dentition as a guide.  There was (and maybe still is) a researcher that thought all Notidanodon species could be reassigned to Notorynhcus.

Jess

On 10/9/2020 at 4:03 AM, CharlotteG said:

Here are some more pictures of Hexanchus teeth from Antwerp, Belgium ^^

74E55B56-C343-4AF3-9421-18EE013893E6.jpeg

A Hexanchus of this form is a lower lateral from towards the back of the jaw.  It's a jaw position you don't see as often.  Great specimen.

Jess

On 10/14/2020 at 5:25 PM, siteseer said:

No, I don't but you can try using a Notorynchus dentition as a guide.  There was (and maybe still is) a researcher that thought all Notidanodon species could be reassigned to Notorynhcus.

Jess

I remember seeing a Moroccan Notidanodon dentition that somebody had put together. I can not remember where I saw it but I have seen one.. 

Our newest Cow Shark and a gift from @Anomotodon

Hexanchus microdon

Eocene

Kyiv Clay

Ukraine

I had wanted to add a Cow Shark tooth from the Ukraine to the collection so I am very grateful :) 

DBEB7790-023D-483D-9CFF-D95B693AE021.jpeg

Hi Kurt,

Those teeth from Ukraine are great.  I believe the age is early Eocene, perhaps a little older than the London Clay, but please correct me if I'm wrong.  It was a generous gift.  Anomotodon has helped with a lot of ID's in the past as well.

Jess

Here's an oddball tooth that I'm reasonably sure is a Hexanchus symphyseal.  I bought it about twenty years ago as part of a lot of small teeth from Copiapo , near Caldera, Atacama Desert, Chile.  Everyone was chasing megs, great whites, and sixgills and I was too but I looked for anyone with smaller teeth or micros as well.  A few dealers had them later, but not long after that, the Chilean government outlawed the export of fossils.

I've seen the normal range of Hexanchus teeth from the deposit and other sites, and I've seen some weird teeth, but this one is weird in a different way.  As you can see, it has just a main cusp with no real hint of additional cusps.  It's just 11mm wide and about 9mm high (you can see it next to an American ruler in the photos).  On the labial face it has an odd ridge of enameloid protruding outward - perhaps a minor pathology.  Because of the small size at that position for an essentially modern Hexanchus tooth.  I assume this is a juvenile.  The labial view came out clearer but I'm adding the lingual in case anyone is curious.

Jess

hex_chile1a.jpg

hex_chile1b.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Here's is a tooth of the aptly named Notorynchus aptiensis because it comes from a Aptian-age (Early Cretaceous) site at Carniol, France.  It appears to be the earliest species of the genus.  This tooth is 11mm long (American rule in the photo).

I have an older hexanchid tooth, Eonotidanus, but I got a photo of this first because the Jurassic tooth is a little smaller.  If I couldn't get a decent shot of this N. aptiensis tooth, I would have no chance of getting one of the Eonotidanus.

Jess 

7gill_apt.jpg