OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 12/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, Anomotodon said:

FINALLY! 8 years of collecting Eocene teeth in Kyiv clay, ~100 cow sharks and I finally found my first symphyseal! It is a beautiful tiny (5 mm) symphyseal of Hexanchus cf. microdon

hex.jpg.10206efb8bbb3329e6a4c0f9e2370d4a.jpg

Wow, that's a great find.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a Hexanchus symphyseal that has a central cusp that is actually smaller than the ones on either side.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to give this thread a boost and see if other TFF members wanted to add to this. I caught the Cow Shark bug about a year ago and that was given a significant push by TFF members such as @Troodon, @siteseer, and @JBMugu . One of the reasons I really like our cow shark collection is that it has involved several TFF members which not only helps us with teeth but we get to interact with extremely knowledgeable members. 

For the past two months, I have been working on bettering our Hexanchiformes and Squaliformes collection. I am pretty happy so far with our progress and wanted to share a couple of our Cow Shark teeth here. First up is a tooth that was #1 on our list to get and we just happened to get extremely lucky. 

Heptranchias sp

Oligocene

Husow, Poland

I do not have the formation information yet but we were able to pick up two Sharpnose Seven Gill teeth from the Oligocene of Poland. I was pretty convinced we would struggle to find a Heptranchias tooth and had not seen one on the market. Then we just lucked out. A few of these teeth popped up at a moment when the budget was geared toward cow shark teeth and the universe just sort of lined up. I am thrilled to have knocked Heptranchias off the list and look forward to a day in the future when we are talking about these super cool, aggressive little deep water Cow Sharks!

heptranchias.jpg

heptranchias2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Another recent addition to our collection is this beauty. A partial, which has made the ID difficult, but a gorgeous tooth from a rare location. Both Hexanchus and Notorynchus are known from Southern California Pliocene sites. I got differing opinions on the ID of this tooth and all of the opinions were from people I respect. A conversation with @siteseer which focused on the number of cones(cusps) leads me to label this Hexanchus. Either way, it is a really pretty tooth and I love it.

Hexanchus sp. (Given the age of the deposit, I assume it would be Hexanchus griseus)

Pliocene

Pico Formation

Ventura County, California.

cowshark1.jpg

cowshark.jpg

26 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Those teeth from Poland are stunning, thanks for sharing. 

Last one for today. Our oldest Hexanchiformes tooth and our only one from Russia. 

Notidanodon lanceolatus

Cretaceous

Stary Oskol

Belgorod Region

Russia

This Albian tooth is as far back as we can go back on the timeline for now and it’s partial but a super cool tooth. A great bargain too. 

1ED722C9-4FEA-4FEA-A029-1B3531CC848F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Kosmoceras said:

Those teeth from Poland are stunning, thanks for sharing. 

My pleasure and they are really cool. I am really happy with them. 

Here is a sixgill oddity - a pathologic Hexanchus andersoni from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed, Bakersfield, CA.  As we all know, hexanchids are not that rare in many shark tooth localities but near-complete-complete teeth are rare due to their rather flattened teeth (cusps snap off, roots crack or wear away easily).  A decent pathologic is an even tougher find.  This is the most complete one I've been able to acquire and it was a gift.  I think I have a pathologic upper anterolateral somewhere too.

Yeah, cow sharks are cool.  I've been meaning to dig some other oddballs for this thread since it started.

Jess

hexsth1.jpg

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Here is a sixgill oddity - a pathologic Hexanchus andersoni from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed, Bakersfield, CA.  As we all know, hexanchids are not that rare in many shark tooth localities but near-complete-complete teeth are rare due to their rather flattened teeth (cusps snap off, roots crack or wear away easily).  A decent pathologic is an even tougher find.  This is the most complete one I've been able to acquire and it was a gift.  I think I have a pathologic upper anterolateral somewhere too.

Yeah, cow sharks are cool.  I've been meaning to dig some other oddballs for this thread since it started.

Jess

hexsth1.jpg

Get to digging Jess lol I’d love to see you add to the thread. That pathological tooth is just awesome !!! 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:46 PM, will stevenson said:

I have the one in my pfp:) nice teeth everyone

I think you should post that tooth Will. That is a fantastic tooth. I sure do not have a Notidanodon from England.

I was wondering when someone was going to post a Beltinge (UK) Notidanodon tooth. Will your example looks like a big one!

Here's mine that i found on my first trip to Beltinge, it wasn't until later i realised how lucky i was. I believe this is an upper anterior. 

From the 'Beltinge Fish Bed' of the Upnor Formation. Approx. 56 Ma (late Paleocene). My dad once commented how it looks a bit like the Sydney Opera House ^_^

Notidanodon.jpg.7eefe9692943adab8d4fac3013907324.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Here's a Notorynchus primigenius from the Miocene of Victoria, Australia:

20201008_214151.thumb.jpg.bbdb88267016ce39729ea691bf811fe8.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Figured I'd throw my hat in the ring here, these are some teeth from Khouribga Morocco!

20201008_115226.jpg

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

11 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I think you should post that tooth Will. That is a fantastic tooth. I sure do not have a Notidanodon from England.

Ok sure I will this evening if I can find the time:) thanks, it’s one of my favourite teeth

7 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

I was wondering when someone was going to post a Beltinge (UK) Notidanodon tooth. Will your example looks like a big one!

Here's mine that i found on my first trip to Beltinge, it wasn't until later i realised how lucky i was. I believe this is an upper anterior. 

From the 'Beltinge Fish Bed' of the Upnor Formation. Approx. 56 Ma (late Paleocene). My dad once commented how it looks a bit like the Sydney Opera House ^_^

wow! That’s very lucky to find that in your first trip! Great job:)Yes mine is very large for the species I’ll put the measurements up with it when I post it, @Troodon has some great example of notinadons from Beltinge maybe he’d want to chip in ( if you haven’t already :))

10 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Nice tooth from a location I’ve not seen beforehand. Thanks for sharing 

10 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Here's a Notorynchus primigenius from the Miocene of Victoria, Australia:

20201008_214151.thumb.jpg.bbdb88267016ce39729ea691bf811fe8.jpg

A little jealous of a Cow Shark from down under ! Nice addition to the thread 

6 hours ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

Figured I'd throw my hat in the ring here, these are some teeth from Khouribga Morocco!

20201008_115226.jpg

Very nice Moroccan examples. 

4 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Ok sure I will this evening if I can find the time:) thanks, it’s one of my favourite teeth

wow! That’s very lucky to find that in your first trip! Great job:)Yes mine is very large for the species I’ll put the measurements up with it when I post it, @Troodon has some great example of notinadons from Beltinge maybe he’d want to chip in ( if you haven’t already :))

I am always hoping Frank will share lol His collection is just incredible. I look forward to seeing your tooth Will. 

• I found this Informative 1

Some Notorynchus sp. specimens from the Miocene of northern Florida found while picking through matrix samples:

A nice upper:

P9086042.jpgP9086041.jpg

A partial:

P9096057.jpg

Likely, an upper symphyseal:

P9236238.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

Can we see the other side of the last tooth ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg