Another Weekend, Another Fossilhunt 2/24

Williamb55

Wow! Have I been busy with the fossil hunting recently. I have been blessed with the opportunity to go hunting every weekend for the last few weeks, sometimes even twice:D. and I have been having good results and have learned a lot from you guys on TFF so thankyou! I headed down to The Cliffs on Saturday to catch the high tide washing away at a new fall that looked like it could be very productive after a few tides (which it turns out it was). I met fellow members @fishmore5 and another member who goes by the name Cowshark? I'm sorry I forgot. 

Pic 1: I found a variety of teeth and other fossils and Tigers were the plenty of the day. I was able to score some nice tiger shark teeth with sharp serrations. One of my favorite finds of the day would definitely be the full piece of ray plate. I love how it looks just like a moustache and its perfect. I also found a vertebrae, and then a few feet away I found the other half so I plan to glue the piece back together soon. There's also a pretty cool bird bone? that I found.

Pic 2: My favorite bone piece. I believe it is the vert of some species of Cetecean. While I was cleaning matrix off of it a piece chipped off so I quickly ordered a bottle of Paleobond to repair it because I like how it looks. 

Pic 3-4: Here's a pristine Hemipristus from the cliffs, and boy do I mean it when I say this tooth is SHARP!!!

Pic 5: I also found some cool bone pieces, if anyone could help identify the bone pictured in the middle I am curious, it reminds me of a collar bone. 

Pic 6-8: I was also blessed to score 2 very nice Makos within 2 ft of each other in a fresh fall pile being washed by the tide. The biggest measure a hair under 1 1/2" and if you look closely you can actually see mini cusps! I think the cusps are very neat and was wondering if cusps are a rare occurrence?

Overall I have been happy with my last few trips, always finding something new and interesting. Still hoping for my first Meg of the season, I have been unlucky so far but I know eventually I will strike gold. And plus any day out fossil hunting is better than a day stuck inside!

123.JPG

dddddddd.JPG

ddddddd.JPG

dddddd.JPG

dd.JPG

ddd.JPG

dddd.JPG

ddddd.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

That little mako like tooth is very interesting. While I have seen some cusped and even lightly serrated mako's ( I have some ) I have never seen cusps like on yours. Maybe @MarcoSr or @Al Dente can help. I would love to see a pic of both sides of the complete ray tooth next to the small bone.

• I found this Informative 1

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

12 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

That little mako like tooth is very interesting. While I have seen some cusped and even lightly serrated mako's ( I have some ) I have never seen cusps like on yours. Maybe @MarcoSr or @Al Dente can help. I would love to see a pic of both sides of the complete ray tooth next to the small bone.

a.JPG

aa.JPG

aaa.JPG

aaaa.JPG

That is a very interesting little piece of bone. @Auspex Possibly bird?

That ray tooth is gorgeous, to me one of your top finds of the day. Aetobatus sp. upper tooth is what I am thinking. Fantastic find.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Just now, sixgill pete said:

That ray tooth is gorgeous, to me one of your top finds of the day. Aetobatus sp. upper tooth is what I am thinking. Fantastic find.

I love it too! I'm not particularly a fan of ray fragments, but they are amazing cool when they are complete and I almost never find them complete. Talk about an eyesore seeing a mustache washed up on the beach 

For the cusped mako, I have a feeling that it could be an upper L4 Carcharomodus escheri (formerly known as Isurus escheri; serrated mako) tooth, as the lateral cusp morphology is really similar to the most complete European specimen, along with the dimensions of the crown and root. The only problem here is that the cutting edges don't really seem to as crenulated, but a simple wear-down is also a possibility, considering how faint C escheri serrations/crenulations are. Entirely a guess though, and regardless, that tooth is still a beauty!

image.png.f88f9014fd81275d61f3108c822e9d0a.png

Diagram from Kriwet (2014)

• I found this Informative 2

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Nice finds! I agree with @sixgill pete. That Mako tooth is really interesting. Can't wait until I can get back down there again. Could have gone on Monday but was home with a sick kid. Hopefully soon!

Where about on the cliff where you? All the finds are cool, but the possible escheri (and I do believe that’s what it will turn out to be) is incredibly cool, better than a meg IMO.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Where about on the cliff where you? All the finds are cool, but the possible escheri (and I do believe that’s what it will turn out to be) is incredibly cool, better than a meg IMO.

This was all at Brownies :P

1 minute ago, Williamb55 said:

This was all at Brownies :P

As in jokingly or actually at Brownies (hard to get emotion via text).

If it’s from Brownies you did incredibly well! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

As in jokingly or actually at Brownies (hard to get emotion via text).

If it’s from Brownies you did incredibly well! 

The real deal. It was well worth the 4:30 A.M. wake up 

Excellent finds! Those Makos are truly something. I'm eagerly awaiting more opinions on the identification of the unusal one. Not every day you get a find like that! Good work. Hoppe hunting!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Just now, Williamb55 said:

The real deal. It was well worth the 4:30 A.M. wake up 

Well worth it indeed! I’d do that, but the weekends are sleep in time for me. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

From what I can see in the picture, I think it is a piece of an avian ulna (the long, slow curve is a signature for that bone, and I think I see a row of quill knobs along the outer curve). This is the bone in the wing to which the secondary flight feathers are anchored (at the quill knobs). This guy would have been Gull/Crow sized, but there is no way to identify the genus from this fragment.

Great find!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

10 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

I don't think cusps on these large triangular "Mako/white shark" type teeth are that unusual. I have several from Lee Creek. A quick Google search brings up many examples. The first picture is from Elasmo and shows cusps on retroflexus teeth the second shows hastalis from Chile. I wouldn't call it escheri.

retroflexus.JPG

chile.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

12 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I don't think cusps on these large triangular "Mako/white shark" type teeth are that unusual. I have several from Lee Creek. A quick Google search brings up many examples. The first picture is from Elasmo and shows cusps on retroflexus teeth the second shows hastalis from Chile. I wouldn't call it escheri.

I agree with Eric that single cusplets are fairly common on teeth like this from the Miocene in MD/VA.  Juvenile extant white sharks can have cusplets on both the upper and lower teeth.  My sons and I have a number of examples of specimens that we believe are escheri and C. hubbelli from the Miocene of MD/VA.   The escheri can have multiple little cusplets like on the tooth in this post.  However the escheri that we have also have evidence of serrations.  The C. hubbelli have single cusplets on both sides and evidence of serrations.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Yes, it is actually more common than you'd think that Isuro/Carcharodonts (not an actual term, but I feel like it should) have lateral cusplets. However, like MarcoSr pointed out, the tooth in question shows multi-cusplets, which I have only seen in Carcharomodus escheri and Isurus retroflexus for east coast Isuro/Carcharodonts. I dont believe that retroflexus is likely, due to the tooth's root being too box-like compared to other upper retroflexus teeth (The posterolaterals of retroflexus do kind of have a box shape, but at that point the crown is too short and blunt) . And like I said before, many escheri teeth have quite faint crenulations/serrations, so a wear-down is still possible.

retro.JPG

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

16 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Well worth it indeed! I’d do that, but the weekends are sleep in time for me. 

You won't find a meg with that attitude!;)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

Agreed. 

At his age he shouldn't be sleeping much at all! ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

49 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

the tooth in question shows multi-cusplets

Cusp number can vary between individuals and within individuals. I just finished cleaning a Carcharias jaw where there were no double side cusps but this individual I found online has many teeth with double side cusps and the circled tooth has a very unusual side cusp.

carchariasteeth.JPG

carchariasteeth2.JPG

46 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Without it I’ll end up like Adam!

44 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Agreed. 

At his age he shouldn't be sleeping much at all! ;)

Bad influence! Thought I really don’t (at least not as much as I’d like to). I try to get in eight hours but I’m mostly on six nowadays.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Without it I’ll end up like Adam!

Bad influence! Thought I really don’t (at least not as much as I’d like to). I try to get in eight hours but I’m mostly on six nowadays.

Six or seven is ample. 

People sleep too much. :trilosurprise:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Cusp number can vary between individuals and within individuals. I just finished cleaning a Carcharias jaw where there were no double side cusps but this individual I found online has many teeth with double side cusps and the circled tooth has a very unusual side cusp.

Good point, but have you seen an example of such variation in a hastalis tooth and one with cusps as small as the tooth in question? And what species are you trying to suggest by pointing out cusp frequency?

Looking back at the tooth in question multiple times, I'm starting to feel that the lateral cusplets might actually be basal serrations.

Nice finds William.  It was nice digging and sifting with you and Phil.  Too bad we couldn't find that little posterior Meg.  You guys seem to find some cool stuff each time.  See you out there next time!

Daryl.