TFF Spring Gathering at Deep Springs Rd. in Central NY

Jeffrey P

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

I wanted to thank Leila for her much appreciated homemade chocolate chip cookies and Darktooth Dave for his gift of a large partial Dipleura. And a special thanks to Tim for driving me to the site, his excellent company, and wonderful beef jerky he shared. Thanks everyone. Here are a couple of brachs, very fragile, but made it back intact. Left Devonochonetes coronatus and right Mucrospirifer mucronatus. Both are extremely common at the site, but difficult to collect out of the matrix.

:drool::wub:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Leila's cookies were scrumptious! There was beef jerky? What? :faint:

And a big shout-out to Dave (Darktooth) for hosting us. :) If you can, you must collect with him - he is so much fun! :) 

Two pics of just one half of one bucket (out of 2 buckets) of stuff I pulled at random (+ we have more buckets from PD to show later). Apologies for the group shots in poor lighting here at the motel. Just biding time while wifey is out shopping and then back to collecting this afternoon. A somewhat representative picture of the finds at DSR. A nautiloid is in there that came out whole (not terribly common to find there intact), bivalves, some brachs, and Dipleura cephalons (note the scale - these aren't tiny!). All field dirty until we can get home to clean them up. 

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4725.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Kane Amazing finds Kane! Pretty big trilo's indeed. 

Lovely brach's also.

And (what a surprise, coming from me), gorgeous bivalves! :wub:

Looking at them makes my mouth water just as much as reading you guys' comments on Leila's cookies! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

I wanted to thank Leila for her much appreciated homemade chocolate chip cookies and Darktooth Dave for his gift of a large partial Dipleura. And a special thanks to Tim for driving me to the site, his excellent company, and wonderful beef jerky he shared. Thanks everyone. Here are a couple of brachs, very fragile, but made it back intact. Left Devonochonetes coronatus and right Mucrospirifer mucronatus. Both are extremely common at the site, but difficult to collect out of the matrix.

image1 (376).JPG

Yum yum! :drool:

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Leila's cookies were scrumptious! There was beef jerky? What? :faint:

And a big shout-out to Dave (Darktooth) for hosting us. :) If you can, you must collect with him - he is so much fun! :) 

Two pics of just one half of one bucket (out of 2 buckets) of stuff I pulled at random (+ we have more buckets from PD to show later). Apologies for the group shots in poor lighting here at the motel. Just biding time while wifey is out shopping and then back to collecting this afternoon. A somewhat representative picture of the finds at DSR. A nautiloid is in there that came out whole (not terribly common to find there intact), bivalves, some brachs, and Dipleura cephalons (note the scale - these aren't tiny!). All field dirty until we can get home to clean them up. 

Tons of great stuff! ! ! ! !

Good days hunting indeed! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Another small, but noteworthy find; a bryozoan, Taeniopora exigua, only my second.

image1 (377).JPG

• I found this Informative 10

Here are a couple bivalves and some brachiopods that I collected. I am not sure with Id's on these. Hopefully @Jeffrey P or @Fossildude19 can help. The brachs are very very plentiful. There is a layer which contains nothing but these. I only collected what popped out easily. Another highlight of the day was a really nice cephalopod. I gifted this to Tim, and hopefully he will post a pic when he has time. Jeff thought it was probably Gomphoceras which is a first for me. And of course once again somthing got left behind that I really wanted to bring back. I found a really nice gastropod which I believe to be Retispira leda. Also a first for me. I have found plenty of the similar Ptomatis patulus at Cole Hill and one from Deep Springs but the Retispira was a nice surprise. Oh well. I brought back a bunch of slabs and chunks from the Briggs site trilo layer. They all contain trilo parts. I have left them outside to weather a bit. I will post pics of whatever pops out when I decide to go through it. I gave some of this material to my co-worker as well as @Pagurus. Thanks for the cookies and it was a pleasure meeting your wife and hunting with you again!

20180428_194709.jpg

20180428_194718.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice pair Grammysia  bisulcata (bivalves) Dave and all of those brachs are Rhipidomella Penelope. That's quite a lot of them. You really did hit that layer. Congratulations. 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Nice pair Grammysia  bisulcata (bivalves) Dave and all of those brachs are Rhipidomella Penelope. That's quite a lot of them. You really did hit that layer. Congratulations. 

Thanks for the ID's Jeff! I have to say you are definitely a Cornucopia of knowledge when it comes to Deep Springs and many other New York sites!

Here are the gifts that I recieved from Tim. 

1st- Eldredgeops venustus. I love how this trilo is nestled in a nodule. Then I can just pop him out! 

2nd- Redfieldius gracilis. My very first fish fossil! Very cool! 

Thank-you so much Tim! I really appreciate it.!

20180429_194732.jpg

20180429_194807.jpg

20180429_194816.jpg

20180429_194828.jpg

20180429_194917.jpg

Here is both halves, of what I believe to be Modiomorpha concentrica from Briggs Road. Its not cleaned up yet but this was a nice non-trilo find from this site.

20180429_200957.jpg

On 4/29/2018 at 8:00 PM, Darktooth said:

Here are the gifts that I recieved from Tim. 

1st- Eldredgeops venustus. I love how this trilo is nestled in a nodule. Then I can just pop him out! 

2nd- Redfieldius gracilis. My very first fish fossil! Very cool! 

Thank-you so much Tim! I really appreciate it.!

20180429_194828.jpg

Marvelous finds and gifts, too! :)

Those bivalves are beautiful.

And I recently received an almost identical trilobite nodule of the same species from Jay @DevonianDigger that I think is really fun. 

I think i'm eroding mine away it's been in and out of its nodule so many times. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Marvelous finds and gifts, too! :)

Those bivalves are beautiful.

And I recently received an almost identical trilobite nodule of the same species from Jay @DevonianDigger that I think is really fun. 

I think i'm eroding mine away it's been in and out of its nodule so many times. :D

I saw the one you got from Jay and that is the first thing I thought of when I saw mine! It is very cool.

Wow look like I missed a great time Saturday... wish I could have been there but had already committed to another dig elsewhere. Did however get the chance to dig with Jay, Debbie, Greg, JAmes  and Kane on Friday at Penn Dixie. Was a great day on Friday but alas I dont think anyone thought to take any pictures we were to busy busting rock....... Wish I had knowm Shamalama was meeting up with Kane on Saturday I could have given him some pressie's he left at my place in the fall. Never know maybe he will be up to Canada for the big dig we are having in May....... I'm sure Kane will be there and Northern Sharks, and the other Kevin too.........

3 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Wow look like I missed a great time Saturday... wish I could have been there but had already committed to another dig elsewhere. Did however get the chance to dig with Jay, Debbie, Greg, JAmes  and Kane on Friday at Penn Dixie. Was a great day on Friday but alas I dont think anyone thought to take any pictures we were to busy busting rock....... Wish I had knowm Shamalama was meeting up with Kane on Saturday I could have given him some pressie's he left at my place in the fall. Never know maybe he will be up to Canada for the big dig we are having in May....... I'm sure Kane will be there and Northern Sharks, and the other Kevin too.........

You can always come out another time, I would be glad to hunt with you.

Okay, got some photos. Still have to find some of my pieces in the back of my car still. Only brought in one load so far.

First up is an absolutely marvelous piece that was a gift from @Darktooth.

image.thumb.png.3212c7a266fb25d2e9651340d66a9cd4.png

This awesome, nearly complete, and entirely gigantic Dipleura dekayi from DSR that he found on a previous outing. 

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Next up, is this nice goniatite. Not much in the line of diagnostic features on this one. Maybe someone else knows more, but I'm somewhere in between Agoniatites vanuxemi and Parodiceras discodeum

BEFORE:

Goniatite_01.thumb.jpg.57192b5799cf28994ae8453ac31855e1.jpg

AFTER:

Goniatite_02.thumb.jpg.3671caf40c8a84be3effe8c4dedab828.jpgGoniatite_03.thumb.jpg.a7a47b82cf80c0d00f2f8ed7a92ab4a2.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

On 4/29/2018 at 10:03 PM, DevonianDigger said:

Next up, is this nice goniatite. Not much in the line of diagnostic features on this one. Maybe someone else knows more, but I'm somewhere in between Agoniatites vanuxemi and Parodiceras discodeum

BEFORE:

Goniatite_01.thumb.jpg.57192b5799cf28994ae8453ac31855e1.jpg

Love this, prepped and unprepped and the trilobite is amazing! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

This was my first major find of the day. Needs to be prepped out still, but all signs point to this being a complete cephalon, and a monster at that, roughly 10-11cm from end to end.

Dipleura_dekayi.thumb.jpg.45243d4d64c0c122eafc158be6ee67a5.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Jay, you're correct with the bivalve IDs. Congratulations on some excellent finds, especially the huge Dipleura cephalon and what I think was the best goniatite of the day. 

• I found this Informative 3