Not sure what this might be???

Becky Benfer

Would this be anything? It has strange lines on it that don’t look natural to me, but you guys would know. Thanks!

79281BB9-AEC8-4D75-9BEE-7A6664738014.jpeg

That's what I'm thinking too, grazing(feeding) traces maybe.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Please show us some photos looking at the thin ends of the rock normal to the bedding plane. I think that the lines that you see might be the horizontal bedding layers in a sandstone.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

ichnofossil or trace fossil Trace fossils  consist of impressions made on the substrate by an organism: for example, burrows, borings (bioerosion), urolites(erosion caused by evacuation of liquid wastes), footprints and feeding mark.  But I not sure what you have sorry.

I think it is sediment surface turbation. It could be bioturbation, showing the activity of animals, but what I see is more consistent with high-energy water movement.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I generally agree with Auspex. The lines are bedding planes that undulate indicating some turbulence during deposition.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Ugh!:doh!:  please tell me Ohio has some fossils!  I'm going to keep bugging you guys until I finally find a good one you know!

3 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

Ugh!:doh!:  please tell me Ohio has some fossils!  I'm going to keep bugging you guys until I finally find a good one you know!

You doing the right thing. It is better to bring your finds home and post on TFF for an ID than to leave them out in the field because you not sure what they are. It is also good to get some geographical info on the places your hunting first. So you know the age of the Formation you are searching. All the best Bobby 

40 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

Ohio has plenty of fossils - but you may have to make a drive to some of the better known sites like Mt Orab, Sylvania Fossil Park in Toledo, Paulding, and plenty of other sites. Your best bet would be to join a rock/fossil club in your area. Many of them go on field trips, and it always helps to collect with folks with a lot of experience. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Ohio has plenty of fossils - but you may have to make a drive to some of the better known sites like Mt Orab, Sylvania Fossil Park in Toledo, Paulding, and plenty of other sites. Your best bet would be to join a rock/fossil club in your area. Many of them go on field trips, and it always helps to collect with folks with a lot of experience. :) 

Cincinnati Dry Dredgers Fossil Club 

Link:  Dry Dredgers

North Coast Fossil Club  (Cleveland) 

Link: NCFC

The Earth's crust gets broken down by miscellaneous processes.The end products can have a variety of grain sizes.When the end result ,the particles,are small enough

they can be transported by wind,water(river,lake,ocean),and living organisms.

For the deep marine realm,bedforms(what I would call the geomorphological expression of the process of stratification) can be created by e.g.(the following can be viewed as a visual aid to the hydraulic factors):

554px-A7ugen_8grneiss_est.jpg

Once sediment is deposited of course,animals start to colonize it,and can totally change the geochemistry and fabric of(in this case) the sea floor .The

amount and kind of animals present,their activity patterns(feeding,locomotion),their physiology can totally annihilate patterns left in the sediment by the depositional processes.

Trace fossils are left by the presence or activity of animals/organisms,and if yoúr piece is NOT a trace fossil,it still has a tale to tell,but that's just my opinion.

Note:the distinction between laminar and turbulent flow is not as clearcut as some might think.Eddy turbulence is EXTREMELY hard to model and "computationally

intensive"

554px-A7ugen_8grneiss_est.jpg

To the right:some of the equations used in trying to make sense of the relation between bedforms,bed cohesiveness(or lack of it),and hydraulics

2f5t4ee44e5tmejjdtr2m35pltwillist.jpg