Baddadcp

The main problem with it being cycad is the size.

Also, the diamond shaped marks on cycad are leaf stem scars and have an organized pattern that is lacking in Your piece.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 hours ago, ynot said:

The main problem with it being cycad is the size.

Also, the diamond shaped marks on cycad are leaf stem scars and have an organized pattern that is lacking in Your piece.

Did you review the referenced paper? Yes, one of the keys of cycad is a diamond shaped pattern. But it isn't necessary for the definition. The three blind men trying to describe an elephant never did call it an elephant. But, at the end of the day, call it a gymnosperm and move on. Other than the replacement material being hematite, the nature of the mineral is not expressed to any great degree in the piece. I say this because I have personally seen hundred of examples of hematite deposition in the collecting area, most of which remain where they were seen. Something is here, the question is what. I wish you could hold it in your hand. Still shots over the web don't do it justice. 

I look forward to hearing what genuine experts in that area have to say after they've examined it personally. Hope you'll let us know one way or the other!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

All of these look like fossils to me. Keep in mind that opinions are just that. Most if not all opinions are given by folks that have little or no experience in the Potomac Group. This is to be encouraged as it generates discussion but do not take it as the final fact. I'd recommend the book:

https://archive.org/details/lowercretaceous00mary

And also the Smithsonian for ID. Bob Purdy or Dave Bohaska can put you on to someone that can help you. You can google their contact information.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1