Lambeosaurus skin?

Daze

This is being sold as a Lambeosaurus skin section from the Judith River Formation, Montana. Size of the skin section is 15 cm / 6 inch. 

I have strong doubts about this, it doesn't look like other Hadrosaur skin impressions or even like any other dinosaur skin impressions I've seen. In my opinion the 'patches' are way too irregular in shape and size compared to other examples.

Don't know what it is, looks more like something with drought cracks to me. Any opinions on this? 

Screenshot_20240324_201607_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240324_201637_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240324_201717_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Daze

• Daze changed the title to Lambeosaurus skin?

This does not at all look like dinosaur skin to me. It looks much more like a thin crust of mineral, atop a different rock, that has had cracks propagate through it. Plus, no fossil Lambeosaurus skin could be identified to genus unless it was found with diagnostic bones and then removed from it.

And which do you think would be easier to sell and for more money, "Lambeosaurus skin" or "thin crust of mineral, atop a different rock, that has had cracks propagate through it?"

Edited by Carl
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks, I agree. Only reason I was curious for other opinions is that it's sold by a very reputable dealer. Pretty disappointing :mellow:

Seems like the seller is reading this forum, because they now changed it from 'Lambeosaurus skin' to 'Lambeosaurus egg shell' :)

20 hours ago, Daze said:

Seems like the seller is reading this forum, because they now changed it from 'Lambeosaurus skin' to 'Lambeosaurus egg shell' :)

And there's a profound lesson in that