Jump to content
Crazyhen

Smooth ammonite from Guizhou

Recommended Posts

Crazyhen

This ammonite is from Guanling, Guizhou.  It’s special in that it is very smooth, while the surrounding small ammonites have ornamentation.  Any idea which species is that or why it is so smooth?  Thanks!

359E107E-8C1B-4D1D-9449-8437C1FC9DB1.jpeg

5933E810-B6F3-4B3D-8FBA-201005563272.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilDAWG

I don't know the genera or species off the top of my head, but they remind me of some Triassic ammonites I have seen from British Columbia.  I am not saying that this specimen is from BC, just that it has a Triassic aspect to me.

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Foozil

I think the 'ornamentaion' has been largely removed, it can still be seen in the centre and around the edges. Unless I'm just seeing things and its actually another unusually placed ammonite in the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abyssunder

Maybe this topic helps:

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJB

I usually dont care for the flat ammos, but this one is purty cool.  My only question is,   what is the size of this rock?

 

RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen
57 minutes ago, RJB said:

I usually dont care for the flat ammos, but this one is purty cool.  My only question is,   what is the size of this rock?

 

RB

The rock is about 20cm and the big ammonite is about 8cm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

I think You have 2 different species. The coils do not match up on the small one in the center of the big one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazyhen
3 hours ago, Foozil said:

I think the 'ornamentaion' has been largely removed, it can still be seen in the centre and around the edges. Unless I'm just seeing things and its actually another unusually placed ammonite in the middle.

As far as I know, this slab was manually prepped and the smooth surface of the big ammonite is like that, without removing any ornamentation.  We can see that other small ammonites retain their ornamentation, and I would say it was quite nicely prepped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Foozil
8 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

As far as I know, this slab was manually prepped and the smooth surface of the big ammonite is like that, without removing any ornamentation.  We can see that other small ammonites retain their ornamentation, and I would say it was quite nicely prepped.

Fair enough, and yeah the prep is fantastic! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

Are we sure this wasn't acid prepped like the lizards ( Keichousaurus) are?  If you look close to this edge, you can see parts of what may have been remnants of the actual outer surface, with decoration.

20180827_175558.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paciphacops

I agree that most of the ornamentation appears to be missing from the large specimen. The small specimen in the upper left appears to be sitting directly on the smooth surface. If so, then the ornamentation was likely missing before fossilisation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×