Squashed ammonite

LiamL

I found this squashed ammonite about a week ago at saltwick bay. It had washed up onto the beach, so could be from here or elsewhere.

it’s squashed and not 3D sadly.

A1761008-1787-4A79-9405-40C8D5E00D72.jpeg

4126FED7-D198-4A79-AC00-3AD7D77DD89E.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

49 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Someone also suggested, it could be a gramoceras.

any idea @TqB

Not really, ammonites aren't my strong suit. I think Grammoceras is too high to turn up there. Could even be a M.Lias Amaltheus

Squashed like that, the matrix could be a good clue - try the Yorkshire FB page...

Tarquin

10 hours ago, BobWill said:

What is the age?

Usually Lower Jurassic, Lower Toarcian from there, but could be lower than that from onshore drift and glacial boulder clay. 

Tarquin

There's an extensive layer of squashed and pyritized ammonites consisting mostly of Eleganticeras and Tiltoniceras which I would call an ammonite graveyard and which can be found in the lower Toarcian of the Whitby Mudstone Formation, for instance at Port Mulgrave. That's what moved me to suggest Tiltoniceras. Its not a Grammoceras at any rate.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

There's an extensive layer of squashed and pyritized ammonites consisting mostly of Eleganticeras and Tiltoniceras which I would call an ammonite graveyard and which can be found in the lower Toarcian of the Whitby Mudstone Formation, for instance at Port Mulgrave. That's what moved me to suggest Tiltoniceras. Its not a Grammoceras at any rate.

This is probably my first “rare” ammonite find! Makes a change from dacs :) wish it was 3d though

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter